Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SpaceX rockets and launches

Live stream at 7.30pm tonight.

SpaceX Founder, CEO, and Lead Designer Elon Musk will discuss the long-term technical challenges that need to be solved to support the creation of a permanent, self-sustaining human presence on Mars. The technical presentation will focus on potential architectures for sustaining humans on the Red Planet that industry, government and the scientific community can collaborate on in the years ahead.

Elon Musk’s Mars colonization announcement: start time, live blog, and streaming

giphy.gif

Not going to happen in his lifetime - especially not if he can't stop things from blowing up. Musk's whole plan sounds like something he might have thought up sitting in a fancy tent at Burning Man.

Last edited:
Intriguing...
The long-running feud between Elon Musk’s space company and its fierce competitor United Launch Alliance took a bizarre twist this month when a SpaceX employee visited its facilities at Cape Canaveral, Fla., and asked for access to the roof of one of ULA’s buildings.

About two weeks earlier, one of SpaceX’s rockets blew up on a launchpad while it was awaiting an engine test. As part of the investigation, SpaceX officials had come across something suspicious they wanted to check out, according to three industry officials with knowledge of the episode. SpaceX had still images from video that appeared to show an odd shadow, then a white spot on the roof of a nearby building leased by ULA, a joint venture between Lockheed Martin and Boeing.

The SpaceX representative explained to the ULA officials on site that it was trying to run down all possible leads in what was a cordial, not accusatory, encounter, according to the industry sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

The building, which had been used to refurbish rocket motors known as the SMARF, is just more than a mile away from the launchpad and has a clear line of sight to it. A representative from ULA ultimately denied the SpaceX employee access to the roof and instead called Air Force investigators, who inspected the roof and didn’t find anything connecting it to the rocket explosion, the officials said.
Source: Washington Post.

Rather speculative, that article. If ULA *truly* wanted to sabotage SpaceX, there are far less risky ways they could go about it.

I have to say it's rather worrying that they've got as far as such outlandish leads in the first place. One should be able to diagnose one's rocket explosions when they happen right next to you!

SpaceX have issued a statement reporting that their investigation (note conclusion not yet approved by the FAA) has traced the cause of the accident to the failure of a composite overwrapped pressure vessel (COPV) in the second-stage liquid oxygen tank. The tank buckled, LOX pooled between the COPV liner and overwrap in a void or a buckle in the liner, and then was ignited by either breaking fibres or friction. Additionally helium loading temperatures were sufficiently low that solid oxygen may have formed in places which greatly increases the likelihood of LOX pooling and friction ignition.

They plan to address this in the short term by changing the way they load fuel, and in the long term to change the design of the pressure vessel to prevent a repeat of this event.

SpaceX due to return to launch this Sunday (8th Jan) with a Falcon 9 carrying Iridium NEXT 1-10 from Vandenberg.

(Above: the 10 Iridium NEXT satellites mounted on their dispenser and being placed inside the fairing.)

The tank buckled
More accurately, the carbon-fiber overwrapping had a buckle in it, as is inevitable when you try and fold a flat sheet around a doubly curved surface. Such voids are usually filled by the epoxy, but this one must have persisted.

More accurately, the carbon-fiber overwrapping had a buckle in it, as is inevitable when you try and fold a flat sheet around a doubly curved surface. Such voids are usually filled by the epoxy, but this one must have persisted.
It's hard to imagine that the engineers at space-x are using 'flat' sheets on such applications (unless of course their budgets are so tight they've taken the risk of doing it themselves to save the costs of having the components designed and built by a company with the right knowledge & hardware).
Automated Fibre Placement (AFP) and Tape Layering (ATL) for spherical surfaces have been the (aerospace) industry standard for well over a decade now. Both methods avoid having to 'fold' the material.
Her'se an ATL example;
andrews-tank.jpg

Here's ATL;
Photo2-e1343251997382.jpg

Obvioulsly a costly solution for short production runs so they may have compromised by trying to do it themselves (unlikely) but my guess is a one off material or manufacturing issue.
Such a part would normally go through extensive destructive testing before approval.
Be interesting what the faa has to say.

Yep,, the robot arm/ prepreg fibre or tape variant is normally used for compex surfaces with awkward ply layups.
For cylindrical parts (such as the pressure cylinders or even aircraft fuselage sections) some companies use a revolving mandrel as a jig and apply the prepreg fibres through a kind of weavers loom.

And there's still potential for buckles/voids even with this method, where the curvature is tight.

There sure is but I'd expect such a critical part would have been ultrasound tested for voids or any delamination hotspots.
Actually, reading 2hats' description again it seems to suggest that the voids between the composite wrap and the lining occurred after buckling of the lining, which could point towards a mechaical stress failure just as well as a manufacturing or material issues.

The SpaceX anomaly report isn't completely clear on the fine details.

Does their QA let vessels out of the factory with buckles in? I don't know, but more likely (I'm guessing) the liner debonded from the overwrap during cryogenic loading due to thermal stress because they are talking about loading with (relatively) warmer helium in future. (Or perhaps the bonding had been weakened during earlier pressurisation tests and in such future circumstances they don't want to aggravate it to failure).

The FAA have accepted the report and the F9/Iridium NEXT launch is now targeted for 1822GMT this coming Monday.

Obviously a slightly more relaxed assessment by the faa for an unmanned space craft than it would have been for your average civil aviation event.

I had a good view but was screwing about with my cameras too much to get really good shots. Fantastic atmosphere. There was easily 5000 people there. 2-3 miles of cars on both sides of the approach road. The noise was phenomenal given that we were four miles form the pad. There was a bit of a countdown, then a bit a pause because there was a ridge between the road and the pad. Someone shouted 'There it is!' as it crested the ridge. I was surprised how bright the exhaust flare was, then the noise hit us , a really loud vibrating roar. It passed though a layer where there was some condensation around the exhaust and then it was just a small bright dot as it carried on. I was also surprised how long I could still hear it, especially given how bad my hearing is. I saw it until MEKO, separation and second stage ignition, but others were saying that they could see the re-entry burn too.

On the way back to the car, some folks had the live stream wired to a speaker and I heard the moments up to the landing. Lots of cheering, smiles and high-fives. Fantastic atmosphere.

I'll work out how to post up a couple of shots tomorrow, a bit knackered (but very happy) at the moment!

Bloody pain in the bum. Anybody know how I can fix it? Tried copying the pics to other sites, but it doesn't seem to work.

Back
Top Bottom