Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So it begins, ins and outs

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone clued up on what formation Hak tends to go for, once he has his own squad assembled squad? I seem to remember when we last played Maidstone he played 2 upfront and mills/porter most of the run in.

If we work to a 4/4/2, can we assume this is what a 1st team squad is starting to look like with the 18 Terry talked about:

GK (to sign) x2

Ming/? Gyebi/JBW/Chambers CBB?

? Ricketts/Scott/? Jeffrey/?

Mills/Clifton/?

Still needed:
2 more defenders
3 midfielders (min)
1 attacker (min)
Looking at signings I’d say it’s 3-5-2 as believe there’s at least one more defender to come. Looks like Ricketts holding and runners around him in midfield

I've continued tracking all Isthmian Premier Division clubs' player announcements and have attached an updated and tidied up version of my record below. New additions are highlighted in red. (The many additional Whitehawk players were already there a week ago but I somehow omitted them by mistake.) Concord have been the busiest club this week, with four new players announced on Tuesday and another four this evening, but most clubs have reported nothing new on this front. Hashtag have announced that they will be releasing a comprehensive retained and signed list "soon".

One player who's been "unannounced" is Crossley Lema, who joined Folkestone from Carshalton on 29th May but has now moved to Welling United. (Announcements from both Folkestone and Welling linked below.)

There was a similar incident in National South with Alex Finney trumpeted as a statement signing from Ebbsfleet by Tonbridge, only for Eastbourne Borough to step in a couple of weeks later with an offer that was apparently too good to refuse. (Article linked below.)

Did Finney actually sign a contract at Tonbridge? The article just says he'd "agreed terms" with them, which isn't necessarily the same thing. I guess it's possible Tonbridge might agree to release a player from a newly signed contract if he subsequently gets a much more lucrative offer from elsewhere, but you'd expect an acknowledgement of thanks from Eastbourne if this was the case. All of Eastbourne's social media only refers to his time at Ebbsfleet and before, with no mention of him ever being at Tonbridge.

All this makes me wonder how many of the 200 or so players so far announced by clubs in our division might be vulnerable to being poached like this. Possibly dozens, even though most if not all of them will stay put. Equally there could be dozens more players already lined up by clubs like ours, who prefer a more cautious approach, rather than risk looking silly if one of them slips through the net. Wingate & Finchley more or less stated they won't be making any squad announcement before the pre-season fixtures start for this reason. I suspect they and others have few if any players under contract in any case.

Attachments

• ISTHMIAN LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION SQUADS.pdf
    128.7 KB · Views: 16
I've continued tracking all Isthmian Premier Division clubs' player announcements and have attached an updated and tidied up version of my record below. New additions are highlighted in red. (The many additional Whitehawk players were already there a week ago but I somehow omitted them by mistake.) Concord have been the busiest club this week, with four new players announced on Tuesday and another four this evening, but most clubs have reported nothing new on this front. Hashtag have announced that they will be releasing a comprehensive retained and signed list "soon".

One player who's been "unannounced" is Crossley Lema, who joined Folkestone from Carshalton on 29th May but has now moved to Welling United. (Announcements from both Folkestone and Welling linked below.)

There was a similar incident in National South with Alex Finney trumpeted as a statement signing from Ebbsfleet by Tonbridge, only for Eastbourne Borough to step in a couple of weeks later with an offer that was apparently too good to refuse. (Article linked below.)

Did Finney actually sign a contract at Tonbridge? The article just says he'd "agreed terms" with them, which isn't necessarily the same thing. I guess it's possible Tonbridge might agree to release a player from a newly signed contract if he subsequently gets a much more lucrative offer from elsewhere, but you'd expect an acknowledgement of thanks from Eastbourne if this was the case. All of Eastbourne's social media only refers to his time at Ebbsfleet and before, with no mention of him ever being at Tonbridge.

All this makes me wonder how many of the 200 or so players so far announced by clubs in our division might be vulnerable to being poached like this. Possibly dozens, even though most if not all of them will stay put. Equally there could be dozens more players already lined up by clubs like ours, who prefer a more cautious approach, rather than risk looking silly if one of them slips through the net. Wingate & Finchley more or less stated they won't be making any squad announcement before the pre-season fixtures start for this reason. I suspect they and others have few if any players under contract in any case.
Probably all players nominally under contract are currently available. If not registered with the FA I believe you can generally wriggle out of contracts. Unless the Isthmian and Conference South registration dates are well in advance of the typical dates, the registration period hasn't opened yet.

Probably all players nominally under contract are currently available. If not registered with the FA I believe you can generally wriggle out of contracts. Unless the Isthmian and Conference South registration dates are well in advance of the typical dates, the registration period hasn't opened yet.
I know contracts have to be registered with the FA, so presumably there's a loophole until that process is completed, but I've no idea whether there's some sort of closed window during the summer when this cannot be done. League registration forms are another matter, applicable to both contracted and non-contract players, and I believe these are not made available to clubs until shortly before the new season starts.

There is a window. I have seen various dates cited for this season, they range from July 1st to 6th however there are suggestions it may go back due to an ill timed system upgrade.

I'm not quite sure what to make of the amount of signings we've made so far. Obviously we're a keeper short and we look a bit light in midfield and up front, but we've got a very clear backline now and an experienced spine in Clifton, Ming, JBW, Chambers, CBB, Mills, Ricketts, and Jeffrey.

I think it was Terry Harris that said Hakan wouldn't get drawn into bidding wars or pay over the odds for players, and I get the feeling that that is exactly what is happening. This is always the part of the season where many managers scramble around for the 'big name' players and out of desperation to beat rival clubs to said players, end up offering very high wages. I suspect Hakan is just keeping his powder dry and letting the likes of Billericay & co. throw silly money about before seeing where he can get most value for money. (Judging by the some of the numbers I've heard players in our divison being paid/offered, it really is silly season too. There must be some very hefty wage bills in the Isthmian this season.)

Also worth remembering as well that our (arguably) three most effective players last season - Felix, Clarke, and Powell - all joined either as trialists or after the season had started. There will still be plenty of decent players knocking about, and we might have the luxury of being able to test them out in a few friendlies before we decide exactly who we want. There'll be a lot of young players released from Conference/lower league sides that probably won't be awash with offers, but might well impress and sign on wages that are frankly much more reasonable than whatever Emmanuel and Wilks are getting in Essex!
He’s either very clever waiting for the market to come to him, or… he isn’t. Personally I agree with you, there will be so many players available later on anyway you’re better hanging on.

Is there even a counter argument that says you’re better signing players late? The advantage of getting everyone in early is you have your squad for all of pre-season. But do some players who get signed up early let themselves go over the break? Sign a player late, that player has had to keep himself in good condition through the summer trying to get a gig… Not saying it would always be the case but maybe sometimes…

Starting to see a fair amount of Step 3 and below teams back in training over the last few days, photos and stuff on Twitter - anyone know if we're back yet?

Would be very interesting at the end of the season to see if there’s a relationship between how early a player signed and how much they played. I know it will be imperfect, because announcement date isn’t necessarily the same as the signing date, but I do wonder what it would show…

Would be very interesting at the end of the season to see if there’s a relationship between how early a player signed and how much they played. I know it will be imperfect, because announcement date isn’t necessarily the same as the signing date, but I do wonder what it would show…
I think Deadfield was the first signing last year and the first to leave. Although he still outlasted the manager who signed him!

By contrast Felix was last to be confirmed before the opening day and played the most matches.

Starting to see a fair amount of Step 3 and below teams back in training over the last few days, photos and stuff on Twitter - anyone know if we're back yet?
Plenty of women’s teams starting their pre season training already though all the festivals plus Prides in London & Brighton tend to play havoc with that.

Does anyone know how Phil is recovering after the testimonial?

* (Not suggesting as a signing. Well, not much.)

I reckon Yusuf Mersin. Was at Maidstone last season then sent on loan to Welling soon after Hak left. He hasn't resigned with anyone for the upcoming season
Yusuf Mersin fell victim to the Tom Hadler fan club and ridiculous goalkeeper debate that raged all season at Maidstone, where whoever was in goal was blamed for relegation. He was no better or worse than Hadler playing behind a terrible team and could do a good job for you two levels down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom