Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So it begins, ins and outs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've updated our squad list to reflect the most recent announcements, and also attached my own list of confirmed signings at other clubs in our division.

Retained:
Sanchez Ming
Danny Mills

Arrivals:
Jerome Binnom-Williams (Maidstone United)
Craig Braham-Barrett (Tonbridge Angels)

Michael Chambers (Billericay Town)
Adrian Clifton (Maidenhead United)
Jerry Gyebi (Hungerford Town)
Mark Ricketts (Borehamwood)
Ryley Scott (Dagenham)

In discussion
Cameron Thompson
Kreshnic Krasniqi

Departures:
Charlie Grainger (Hastings United)
Joe Felix (Worthing)
Jack Holland (Cray Wanderers)
George Porter (Cray Wanderers)
Johl Powell (Tonbridge Angels)
Frankie Raymond (Cray Wanderers)
Quade Taylor (Carshalton Athletic)
Ronnie Vint (Lewes)
Will Wood (Welling United)
Andre Blackman
Kristian Campbell
Josh Fawole
Nebay Haile
Omari Hibbert
Aaron Jones
Kalvin Kalala
Nana Owusu
Dan Smith

Loans Expired:

Gianni Crichlow (Havant & Waterlooville, now Tonbridge Angels)
Conor Lawless (Luton Town - released)
Michael Phillips (Barnet - released)
David Stephens (Borehamwood)
Deon Woodman (Queen's Park Rangers)

I couldn't attach an Excel document, so had to convert it to a PDF which is less neat to read, but it's there for anyone who's interested. (Managers in red are new appointments since the end of last season. I didn't think to do the same for the players before I started.)

Cray and Hornchurch have each added some experienced signings to what was already a top 5 squad. Those two, along with Billericay, look like the biggest threat so far. Canvey Island are the other unsuccessful play-off contestants from this year.

Chatham, Horsham, Kingstonian and Wingate & Finchley don't appear to have made any squad announcements so far. Hashtag's social media is so full of irrelevant trivia I couldn't be bothered searching any further for useful information, but they don't seem to have made any squad announcements either.

Dan Smith to Bognor.

Would it make more sense to be from 1st July? So it’s a ten month contract? I don’t know how these things work but it’s what I’d always assumed.
I believe part-time contracts commence on the opening day of the league season and are flexible to end on the final day, whether that's the final league fixture or the play-off final. Therefore pre-season is not part of the contracted period. Whether any clubs make additional ad-hoc payments to cover all or part of pre-season, I've no idea. Full-time contracts generally run from 1st July to 30th June.

I believe part-time contracts commence on the opening day of the league season and are flexible to end on the final day, whether that's the final league fixture or the play-off final. Therefore pre-season is not part of the contracted period. Whether any clubs make additional ad-hoc payments to cover all or part of pre-season, I've no idea. Full-time contracts generally run from 1st July to 30th June.
Some players may request full or part payment for pre season. These payments would not be ad hoc but be very clearly stated in their contract. Any payment made not detailed in a contract would be an illegal payment.

Last edited:
He tore his groin at Wrexham in 20-21, then moved to Barnet the following summer and in his first training session he tore his thigh. Last season he was back to full fitness and feels fantastic now, has a special training routine to keep him from doing them again, I spent 45 mins with him yesterday and he strikes me as an absolute winner! Chambers very excited that he came too (and Michael’s little boy is a big fan of him too!)

Some players may request full or part payment for pre season. These payments would not be advocating but be very clearly stated in their contract. Any payment made not detailed in a contract would be an illegal payment.
Sorry for the silly question but… would that mean that a player not getting payment for pre-season could still sign elsewhere? I’m assuming not, because they’d then presumably be in breach of the contract they’d signed that would kick in once the season began.

Looks like physically strong side being built by Hakan. A few well over 6ft there . Hope one of the team has a good long throw as a good weapon, even though not everyone's cup of tea. Wrexham made good use of it the National League last season .Campbell had a good throw on him at the end of last season.

Sorry for the silly question but… would that mean that a player not getting payment for pre-season could still sign elsewhere? I’m assuming not, because they’d then presumably be in breach of the contract they’d signed that would kick in once the season began.
Correct. They are aware that they will not be paid and would be pointless to play elsewhere unless they want us to tear up their contract. We will usually pay a player for pre season if the contract at their previous club was a 52 week one.
Some players may also receive less than full pay, some none. It depends on their negotiations.
Whatever the arrangement is clear in the terms of their contract.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the new season and the fresh squad - esp the defensive additions.

Went to Hamlet a lot around 2013-18 (my glory hunting years right, last game for years was the playoff win) but moved to Essex pre covid and hadnt been for years.

But back on the wagon towards end of last year (the loss at Chelmsford and last couple home games) so likely gonna try a fair few away games this year.

Anyhow. Part intro part pre season optimism. Up the Hamlet.

I'm not quite sure what to make of the amount of signings we've made so far. Obviously we're a keeper short and we look a bit light in midfield and up front, but we've got a very clear backline now and an experienced spine in Clifton, Ming, JBW, Chambers, CBB, Mills, Ricketts, and Jeffrey.

I think it was Terry Harris that said Hakan wouldn't get drawn into bidding wars or pay over the odds for players, and I get the feeling that that is exactly what is happening. This is always the part of the season where many managers scramble around for the 'big name' players and out of desperation to beat rival clubs to said players, end up offering very high wages. I suspect Hakan is just keeping his powder dry and letting the likes of Billericay & co. throw silly money about before seeing where he can get most value for money. (Judging by the some of the numbers I've heard players in our divison being paid/offered, it really is silly season too. There must be some very hefty wage bills in the Isthmian this season.)

Also worth remembering as well that our (arguably) three most effective players last season - Felix, Clarke, and Powell - all joined either as trialists or after the season had started. There will still be plenty of decent players knocking about, and we might have the luxury of being able to test them out in a few friendlies before we decide exactly who we want. There'll be a lot of young players released from Conference/lower league sides that probably won't be awash with offers, but might well impress and sign on wages that are frankly much more reasonable than whatever Emmanuel and Wilks are getting in Essex!

anyone clued up on what formation Hak tends to go for, once he has his own squad assembled squad? I seem to remember when we last played Maidstone he played 2 upfront and mills/porter most of the run in.

If we work to a 4/4/2, can we assume this is what a 1st team squad is starting to look like with the 18 Terry talked about:

GK (to sign) x2

Ming/? Gyebi/JBW/Chambers CBB?

? Ricketts/Scott/? Jeffrey/?

Mills/Clifton/?

Still needed:
2 more defenders
3 midfielders (min)
1 attacker (min)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom