Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Show us your kitchen cupboards

Expected storage jars with three different kinds of lentils, rice etc. Disappointing. :(

(But yes, very tidy and well organised!)

I’m quite surprised this one didn’t take off. People are usually happy to humour DLR’s whims, presumably out of fear.

Maybe most people here are beyond cupboards: they have just-in-time food delivery that synchronises with their cooking schedules, or they feel no need to hide their comestibles away behind old-fashioned doors, displaying them proudly on spotlit shelves, or they have walk-in larders, or they are breatharians who scorn food. No wonder that Urban’s dwindling band of cupboard owners won’t risk ridicule by posting here.

I did a big shop today ..
The 6 kilos of tahini are problematic enough, but trips to the deli bring the additional hazard of dates and other sweet things so I try to make them infrequent.
That's an old photo of the fridge but it is as usual stuffed with cruciferous greens and mushrooms...
When I escape this place I'm going to miss the Indian Deli, the Polish shop and the Chinese supermarket...

shhelf.jpg
confections.jpgpickleshelf.jpgweedandshrooms.jpgfridgeeeee.jpg

Last edited:
I’m quite surprised this one didn’t take off. People are usually happy to humour DLR’s whims, presumably out of fear.

Maybe most people here are beyond cupboards: they have just-in-time food delivery that synchronises with their cooking schedules, or they feel no need to hide their comestibles away behind old-fashioned doors, displaying them proudly on spotlit shelves, or they have walk-in larders, or they are breatharians who scorn food. No wonder that Urban’s dwindling band of cupboard owners won’t risk ridicule by posting here.
I currently have boxes somewhere in a removal company's storage unit on an industrial estate.

Before that I had open shelves, old wooden crates and plastic fisheries boxes in odd places, and stuff hanging from hooks around the walls and ceiling.

I did a big shop today ..
The 6 kilos of tahini are problematic enough, but trips to the deli bring the additional hazard of dates and other sweet things so I try to make them infrequent.
That's an old photo of the fridge but it is as usual stuffed with cruciferous greens and mushrooms...
When I escape this place I'm going to miss the Indian Deli, the Polish shop and the Chinese supermarket...

Just out of curiosity, what do you do with all that Tahini? I make loads of houmous but a 500g jar seems to last me forever...

I would also like to add the cupboard caddy thing was a great buy from Sainsbury’s (originally as I didn’t have any drawers in my last house so nowhere to store cutlery) but now it’s really handy for useful stuff I want at hand like salt, pepper and oil which also doesn’t fit in a cupboard, and reduces worktop mess.

The other one is for frequently used herb and spice jars, means I can grab them all at once and also prevents them falling over in the cupboard.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do with all that Tahini? I make loads of houmous but a 500g jar seems to last me forever...
I swear at the deli they must think I'm running some sort of catering operation !
I don't actually make hummus with it, but pour it on my dinner, and more recently, salad - in the days when I could eat bread, a special treat was warm granary dunked in it...

It was one of the things I discovered in the early 80s when I went veggie - though until I started shopping at the deli a mile from my home around 2012 it was expensive health-food coop stuff I had to endure H&B in town to get... I'm not sure when I started getting through a 900g jar a week.
I was quite alarmed when I did the maths last year, but though tahini provides a third of my daily calories, my diet has ended up at approx 60:25:15 - so roughly "Mediterranean" ...
I'm hopeful that if I get to the part of France where I want to live, I will still be able to get it relatively cheaply - though it would mean a £20 ferry ride to the nearest city (or a drive or long bus ride) as the local "Bio-Coop" (The French are very anti-vegan, but obsessed with "organic" and every kind of woo ) is likely to be very expensive as well as deeply cringey ...

This is a first in Poitiers. A Biocoop store reduces its wave emissions as much as possible to accommodate people sensitive to electromagnetic waves. Every Monday morning, customers are asked to turn off their cell phones.

1713949016159.png

Back
Top Bottom