Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Revamping horrible fitted cupboards

I'd rip them out completely if they were mine. Make good any damage to the walls with filler and paint them up to match the rest of the room.

If you're in dire need of the storage, have a look down the local auctions and you'll get nice cupboards/wardrobes cheep as.
Tearing out some existing already fitted cupboards and then buying some new ones that inevitably won't quite fit seems stupid and wasteful to me.

I'd just paint them with a good matt paint, I'd probably do them the same colour as the walls. Floor to ceiling cupboards are fashionable and practical, why get rid of them? The paint is yuk but looks easily paint-overable and there's much paint available. It's the middle bit which is the problem, I'd go with the shelves solution i think, but in the interim, probably put a large mirror and a bunch pf plants there instead of the chest of drawers. Maybe some fairy lights in a jar.

I'm not going to rip them out. I like having cupboards. I can keep stuff I don't want on display there. There are so many other more pressing jobs to be done and I'm happy to have a semi attractive workaround.

I don't need an excuse to buy more plants. But will try to resist because they're probably all going to die when I'm away later this year. Fairy lights, I can do!

Then in ten or twenty years someone can decide those are "horribly dated" and they can go off to landfill too.

who does up their house or flat for "someone" else. with this logic, no one would do up their homes because 20 years later "someone" may not like it.

who does up their house or flat for "someone" else. with this logic, no one would do up their homes because 20 years later "someone" may not like it.
A lot of stuff gets torn out just because someone marches in and declares it "dated". Of course, sometimes things are indeed dated and horrible and tearing them out will make the residents of the home happier but I see it so often unthinkingly applied. Very often a bit of repair or cosmetic alteration will make the thing look good again. These look like simple but perfectly well built fitted cupboards. There have already been plenty of suggestions for simple alterations. I can imagine what they'd get replaced with ... Some new nearly-the right size things that would have slight gaps all around and never sit quite square with the walls and with those surface mount hinges that start to go wonky after a couple of years.

So much stuff that could last for quitea long time gets torn out, replaced with short lifespan replacements. The worst is when people put in a new kitchen or bathroom just to sell a place. And then you see it all in the skip when the new owners don't like it. It's all such a waste of resources.

Well this is how far I've got today:
took two of the handles off. Contemplated covering one door with the blue sticky stuff. Not sure whether I should take the doors off hinges (?) - sounds complicated.
Took chest of drawers out of gap. It was very dusty there.

New knobs coming tomorrow, so will fiddle about with those :)

miss direct I have inherited similar & where your chest of drawers is there was a single bed for previous owners teen. I’m a long way off ever thinking about do they stay or go. In the space where the bed was there is now shelves for my many (many) pairs of shoes.

I like the suggestions so far of painting or papering (or both) & think they have potential to look fabulous. In the drawer section how about a rail & put a gorgeous curtain over or even just a large mirror?

Well this is how far I've got today:
took two of the handles off. Contemplated covering one door with the blue sticky stuff. Not sure whether I should take the doors off hinges (?) - sounds complicated.
Took chest of drawers out of gap. It was very dusty there.

New knobs coming tomorrow, so will fiddle about with those :)
If you're going to stick stuff on then i reckon you have a choice between (a) sticking on the front of each door but set in a little from all the edges (ie you'd have a white border around each panel of stock on stuff) or (b) wrapping the sticky stuff around the sides of each door so it fully covers the front face. For (a) no need to take the doors off the hinges unless you want to sand/repaint them but for (b) you'd need to. Either way, having them off the hinges would make them easier to work with though.

They look like regular standard type hinges; if you open a door fully you will probably find each hinge is screwed into the edge of the door panel and into the frame surrounding it. I would unscrew them so the door comes off leaving the hinges still fixed to the frames. Maybe number the doors on the back so you remember which location each one belongs on.

If you wrap the sticky stuff round the edges it will cover the little recesses the hinges were screwed into. I'd do the wrap and cut them out neatly afterwards with a stanley knife.

But I'd do some kind of trial on one panel first, to make sure whatever you do works, before going ahead with them all. As quimcunx said you might find the front face of the door panels are a bit lumpy after years of layers of paint. The same might apply to the edges and cause problems if you wrap sticky stuff round then. Make sure they can still open/close without catching on the frames.

The knobs arrived, so I have been fiddling around with those. I also have caulk to fill in the holes, but can't seem to get any to squeeze out.

Looked at removing the cupboard doors, but that's going to be tricky because there are layers of paint over the screws that need to be loosened to get them off.

usually just need to use something (eg the end of a metal skewer, or the sharp end of an old screw) to scrape out the paint in the groove(s) in the head of the screw so that the screwdriver can get a purchase on it and you should find they come out without too much hassle.

That's a good idea. The inside of the cupboards needs sorting too as there's no proper rail or organisation in there.

I don't know how to put up shelves though - I want some put up in the living room too. How do normal people get all of these things done? Without a car or tools, basic DIY seems a struggle. Will have to find a handyman from somewhere.
Shelves are easy to do. For less than the cost of getting a handyman you could buy all the tools you would need and I'm sure get plenty of advice here on the how to.

I'm a self employed handyman and really busy at the moment, booked a month ahead, as are everyone else I know who does similar work so it might be a long wait. For reference I am in SE London and charge £35 for the first hour and £20 for each hour after that.

If you're somewhere where they operate you can try airtasker or task rabbit for local people who can help out.

Loads of great deals on Amazon for drills and impact drivers (like a drill but more power and used for screwing in screws, bolts and stuff). Also some decent general tool kits with drill.

https://amzn.eu/d/gJRfzrj

Everyone says it's easy but I really don't have a clue, and for the price of buying a power tool, feel like I may as well just pay someone to come for a day and do all of the little jobs I need doing at once.

Just had a quick look on those sites: look good. Bit depressing that they all earn more than me per hour. If only I were a little more handy myself I'd train myself up to do similar.

Usually have a seal over the end of the tube that needs removing. Sometimes it's a cone of plastic that needs cuttin off with a sharp knife.
I did that. Even sharpened the knife specially. Maybe I just don't have the strength to squeeze any caulk out!

I did that. Even sharpened the knife specially. Maybe I just don't have the strength to squeeze any caulk out!

If it’s in a tube like this:
E7FFE56C-0084-47B7-9640-DCDDBA2C75A4.jpeg

Then you need a gun dispenser like this:

B172BAE8-4F49-4E5E-8A6B-6F6C65EC220D.jpeg

They cost between £5 for a cheap one to £15 for a better made one. If you aren’t going to use it again you might do better to swap the caulk for filler. (You can get away without one If you poke a stick or wooden spoon handle in the back to push the caulk out through the nozzle but that can be a bit of a pain in the arse TBF.)

Or even cut your losses as a small tub of filler is only about £3 and you can use your fingers or a bit of old cardboard.

012DED17-B1C6-42E4-B463-1DC92A10488E.jpeg

Last edited:
What about this kind of self adhesive paper? Maybe not the giant floral type but something in a duck egg blue background?

Maybe centred on each door with a blue painted border...
Shein is dubious fast fashion and their art materials have been shown to arrive mostly mangled. Quality is debatable as are the size measurements - what is quoted on the website is not always what arrives.

Basically it's very cheap but use at own risk.

Everyone says it's easy but I really don't have a clue, and for the price of buying a power tool, feel like I may as well just pay someone to come for a day and do all of the little jobs I need doing at once.

Just had a quick look on those sites: look good. Bit depressing that they all earn more than me per hour. If only I were a little more handy myself I'd train myself up to do similar.
DIY is one of those things that are great if you enjoy that kind of thing but rubbish if you don't. I enjoy it but often pay people to do things like painting as they do a better job in less time. Plus somethings you need experience of for safety, I'll do my own electrical work for example, but would never touch plumbing beyond changing a washer or ball valve.

Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light
Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right!
It is the business of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan.

Shein is dubious fast fashion and their art materials have been shown to arrive mostly mangled. Quality is debatable as are the size measurements - what is quoted on the website is not always what arrives.

Basically it's very cheap but use at own risk.

Oh...I wasn't advertising Shein.
Just was showing examples...

Back
Top Bottom