Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Send educational material to Chellaston Academy

youngian

http://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...heir-photos-to-illustrate-Holocaust-slideshow
Ukip takes on school for using their photos to illustrate Holocaust slideshow
UKIP will lodge a formal complaint about “political indoctrination in schools” after a picture of its leader Nigel Farage was used during assemblies about the evils of the Holocaust.

I sent mine via Farage's thread on the subject

@ChelloAcademy Hope your pupils find this useful for your debates @Nigel_Farage

Last edited:
Wow this is stupid. Hysterical and inaccurate behaviour by the school, none of the quotes used in your video or in the school's powerpoint slide are any more extreme than a lot of the things said by Tories or even Labour politicians.

It's a bit simplistic to suggest that casual racsim leads directly to fascism along some kind of linear sliding scale, as it ignores the underlying causes of both, in general and with nazi anti-semitism in particular. They do seem to be on the right lines though, looking at racism as something manufactured to serve political ends. I don't really see UKIP as part of that process though, more like a symptom of it. Their whole schtick is based on exploiting and reinforcing underlying racism rather than creating it.

But as a piece of trolling, full marks to the school. Whatever else Farage may huff and puff about, he can't complain about stuff he's on record as having said. Nor can you really deny that some of it sounds a bit like stuff you might've heard said about Jews in 1930's Germany.

Last edited:
You can argue the Holocaust was a freak apparition of human evil that came over a whole population one day. But if you don't believe that than you have to find some way of explaining to a puzzled audience how this came about. Scapegoating 'the other' as a respectable view to blame your problems even if it begins with jokes about the tight fisted Yids and the child stealing Gippos is very relevant to Holocaust education. I'm sure the school would be perfectly happy to receive educational material from UKIP explaining how they don't indulge in populist far right demagoguery and they're just misunderstood.

You would have heard far worse about Jews in 1930s Britain, of course.

Well yes, and that's why suggesting that casual racism invariably leads to fascism and genocide might not be a great way of looking at it. Especially if you're not going to discuss how organised fascism in Britain had strong links to the establishment and how excising it required direct confrontation between ordinary people and the apparatus of the state.

You can of course teach kids about why casual racism is a bad thing in and of itself. You don't need the context of nazis to do that.

Last edited:
Especially if you're not going to discuss how organised fascism in Britain had strong links to the establishment and that excising it required direct confrontation between ordinary people and the apparatus of the state.
That's a very good discussion for an economics or politics class

Well yes, and that's why suggesting that casual racism invariably leads to fascism and genocide might not be a great way of looking at it. You can of course teach kids about why casual racism is a bad thing in and of itself. You don't need the context of nazis to do that.
That's true, you could identitfy other reasons and none of them are pretty. But how do you explain compliance to people who are convinced they would never consent to abhorrent acts of inhumanity?

It's a bit simplistic to suggest that casual racsim leads directly to fascism along some kind of linear sliding scale, as it ignores the underlying causes of both, in general and with nazi anti-semitism in particular. They do seem to be on the rights lines though, looking at racism as something manufactured to serve political ends. I don't really see UKIP as part of that process though, more like a symptom of it. Their whole schtick is based on exploiting and reinforcing underlying racism rather than creating it.

But as a piece of trolling, full marks to the school. Whatever else Farage may huff and puff about, he can't complain about stuff he's on record as having said. Nor can you really deny that some of it sounds a bit like stuff you might've heard said about Jews in 1930's Germany.
yes. you do know symptoms part of a process, right?

That's true, you could identitfy other reasons and none of them are pretty. But how do you explain compliance to people who are convinced they would never consent to abhorrent acts of inhumanity?

My guess is that if you're a teacher with 30 young teenagers to deal with, teaching them the importance of non-compliance could have serious implications for your ability to get them to shut up and do their work.

According to the presentation reproduced in The Express the Nazis were 'bloody thirsty'. The shortage of potable water in 1930s Germany was never mentioned in my history lessons.

Why do you think Hitler hated France so much? He was jealous of their Evian

Or, he'd been forced to drink Vichy water as a child.
Have you ever tasted Vichy water? It tastes even worse than it smells (hydrogen sulphide,in case you're wondering)!

Back
Top Bottom