Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Self-indulgent pet thread

Two from the past...

Actually my ex's but an unforgetable part of the family.

Charlie. He didn't really do tricks except 'high five' (actually four but it didn't sound as good).

Charlie-Waving.jpg

With his missus Daisy. "Are you looking at my bird?'

C&D2.jpg

27d14fe0.jpg

f1167670.jpg

ecb6c858.jpg

Sleepy lapcat :)

Moh

We found our puss when she was a stray kitten, living rough, she was about 6 months old at the time (we were visiting someone at the time, so it wasn't local to us). We think that someone had got her as a pet and then either lost her or chucked her out. Utterly pathetic wee creature, she was :(

Edit: When she was a stray, she used to sit in the pouring rain outside people's houses and cry :( Not the brightest cat, but definitely the most pathetic. (And I still fume about all those bastards who saw her sitting out there week after week and didn't take her in :mad: ).

How did you acquire her again? Remind me of her antecedents.
Ahhhh, I was on fieldwork up North, and on outreach with various drug workers / offender managers.

Erm. In fact, it's in my field notes.

Then to client’s house. Met him on the doorstep. Has a young kitten.

Recently got a dog. I felt uncomfortable with me and [worker] both standing, with the client standing in a corner of the room. I tried several times to find a less... unified front... way of standing, or to get myself out of the picture. And ended up sitting on the floor with the kitten, whilst [worker] took the sofa and the client sat.
The dog has been got partly for protection ([worker] is not sure whether or not there’s a delusional element to client's [diagnosed mental illness]
[worker] proceeded to ask a fair few questions... suggested getting rid of the cat, due to a new dog. Client said they might be shifting the cat, but it has to be [female partner']s decision. If they choose to, they’ll offload it to [female partner']s mum as a first call.

Also talked a bit about alcohol use, I think, but damn that kitten was lovely. It chirruped when it purred.
Then the bloke got arrested for assaulting his partner, she got sectioned following the assault, she escaped from the ward, called the worker and said she no longer wanted the cat.

So on a Friday afternoon in the arse end of nowhere, there was a kitten who was either going to be taken to a refuge, or else I could knock of fieldwork half a day early, buy a cat basket, and take her down South.

What my field notes don't mention is that she'd walked straight up to me, draped herself over my ankles (whilst I sat cross-legged), and THEN begun chirruping / hyper-purring whilst I stroked her :D

Sounds very similar to Her Majesty's introduction to my housemate. He was incredibly hungover, went out for a smoke, she chirruped/purred at him, he came in and said, 'Nobody wants that bloody cat, we can't just leave it here, it'll die in the end, you've always said you wanted a cat, get me a catbox, I'm going to take it home with us'. I was like :hmm: :eek: :confused: .

Our Jangles was a stray, too. She arrived one night and then used to pop back. We bought food for her and fed her and she used to sort of come and go as she pleased. She got a lot fatter, we tried to kid ourselves it was the food we were giving her, not babies. I studiously tried to ignore how her belly would squirm around when she slept. One morning I go down to feed her to hear her crying outside the front door (very unusual). In she trots, purring her arse off and trying to nuzzle in to the curtains and blankets on the sofa and anywhere dark looking. Then she looks at me incredibly pitifully, and her belly contracts. Oh shit, I think, she is now giving birth. I fly up the stairs and tell the wife to stop fucking sleeping because the cat is giving birth and we don't have anywhere suitable for her to do it. The wife jumps into action, hurriedly sorts out the spare room and manically starts to carve up cardboard boxes to act as a den. We rescue poor distressed labour cat from under our bed, as kittens under the bed we do not want. I leave for placement while the wife watches the magic of new life as three little fluffballs plop out.

After that, we decided to take her in properly. We kept her in while the kittens were with us, found homes for them and kept her in until we got her done so she wouldn't get up the duff again and now she's ours.

Aww, I just love all these stories about unloved strays becoming pampered pets :cool:
We got our Dub because our neighbours split up and neither of them were in a position to look after him on their own.
He would have gone to a rescue centre, and the thought that he might have to be put down if no one wanted him was too much so we had to have him.
Although if I'm honest with myself I think he would have been rehomed very quickly as he's such a cute, friendly little character.

Likewise. I will never understand anyone abandoning Mr Bracken, but he was found skinny and wandering the streets. Lucky day for Mrs Chap and & that he was in the local pet rescue the day we went there.

Gets all tearful.

Our Jangles was a stray, too. She arrived one night and then used to pop back. We bought food for her and fed her and she used to sort of come and go as she pleased. She got a lot fatter, we tried to kid ourselves it was the food we were giving her, not babies. I studiously tried to ignore how her belly would squirm around when she slept. One morning I go down to feed her to hear her crying outside the front door (very unusual). In she trots, purring her arse off and trying to nuzzle in to the curtains and blankets on the sofa and anywhere dark looking. Then she looks at me incredibly pitifully, and her belly contracts. Oh shit, I think, she is now giving birth. I fly up the stairs and tell the wife to stop fucking sleeping because the cat is giving birth and we don't have anywhere suitable for her to do it. The wife jumps into action, hurriedly sorts out the spare room and manically starts to carve up cardboard boxes to act as a den. We rescue poor distressed labour cat from under our bed, as kittens under the bed we do not want. I leave for placement while the wife watches the magic of new life as three little fluffballs plop out.

After that, we decided to take her in properly. We kept her in while the kittens were with us, found homes for them and kept her in until we got her done so she wouldn't get up the duff again and now she's ours.

:cool::cool::cool: brilliant story and nice one! and you quoady :cool:

This is a bit of a long shot, but a mate of mine's cat's gone missing, just after she moved to Colchester. She's beside herself and has done all the usual things to try and find her - vets, pictures on lampposts, knocking neighbours doors, asking postman, paper boy, checking with refuse collection (in case of worst,) the lot. She's had a couple possible sightings, but not enough to go on. Kitty answers to the name of Ruby and is a very distinctive sandy buff colour. In the off chance you see her, please send me a message. Ta muchly.

7339184200_2bb660957c.jpg
7339205374_073a82a7e5.jpg

7264898252_46e90c012f.jpg
7264868336_a27bef79fe.jpg

I just found this photo I thought I'd lost - emailed to me from the rescue of Griff and his "birth brothers" at just over a week old. Can you tell which one he is?
7167595345_468eae15e9.jpg

And I took this one on my phone when I first "met him in the fur" when he was about 2 weeks old.
3859710460_583cd3cddd.jpg

(getting all sentimental tonight!)

SO lucky to have your pets from babies. I wish I'd seen our Stan as a kitten - he would have been a veritable fluff ball.

Back
Top Bottom