Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Self-indulgent pet thread

Hey, if I didn't trim his fur, he'd be tripping over his sideboards!

I think I've mentioned it before, but I've kept (thoroughly washed of course) nearly all of the fur resulting from his bi-monthly or so shearings over the past 5 1/2 years. It's actually enough to stuff a decent sized cushion. It's too short to spin for wool, but might work mixed with something like Alpaca for felting. I'm looking for a course on how to do this. But if anyone has any idea what I can do with a whole lot of guinea pig wool, let me know.

PS: Yes, I know it's weird.
You'd need to ascertain whether it would felt. If you rub a small ball of it between wetted forefinger and thumb, does it start to stick together?

You'd need to ascertain whether it would felt. If you rub a small ball of it between wetted forefinger and thumb, does it start to stick together?
I've asked a few people who do felting and spinning about this and when they realise I am serious, I really do have about a
Aww, he looks like a badly shaven scrotum.
You should see what his scrotum looks like! boom boom!

:)

I've asked a few folks who know about wool stuff whether it could be spun or felted. Being mainly a Texel, most of his fur is thin and wavy with some quite wiry - over his nose, ears and feet (which is the only place skinny pigs have fur, btw.) I think the consensus is it would have to be mixed with something else with longer fibres, like alpaca. Since cavies and alpaca come roughly from the same part of the world, that seems appropriate.

I did have a go a couple years ago with some alpaca wool, but I didn't have the right combs for carding and stuff. It sort of came out okay, but I figured I'd better wait and work out what I'm doing, or better, give it to someone who knows what they are doing to make something out of it.

Slightly related, I have that book about crafting from cat fur. I made two small grey cats with the leavings of Breeze. They were okay, but she managed to find both and shredded them. Guess she thought it was some kind of violation or something.

Cassie has a poorly leg and so she's not allowed to go for a walk for a week. :(
We've bought her a stag bar though and she's pretty happy with that.

u4ih4.jpg

Slightly related, I have that book about crafting from cat fur. I made two small grey cats with the leavings of Breeze. They were okay, but she managed to find both and shredded them. Guess she thought it was some kind of violation or something.
:D I knitted a little bit of Stan one morning, and he circled round it very suspiciously.

knitted stan.JPG

Last edited:
Just back from 3 nights away with all six creatures of the household. Weather was pretty crap, but the place we stayed was really nice and amazingly relaxing. I think the lack of phone signal and wi fi helped! :) Pigs got to have a graze on the Saturday morning when the weather wasn't too bad. Charlie managed to eat half the beach. Breeze just chilled most of the time.

16659291130_efa3420b9c.jpg
16822815291_2f2a95ac3b.jpg

16845930732_7119d03d92.jpg
16845935261_95a450b296.jpg

16845678162_a3231692f5.jpg
16659586570_92983a0957.jpg

16639464057_921bccdf3a.jpg
16845639021_1d96be6eab.jpg

Back
Top Bottom