Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Self-indulgent pet thread

Oh, so sorry for you, Knotted. However, to die peacefully, snuggled up with his ferret chums, is a blessing indeed. Lovely pic, too.

A few years ago, my youngest brought home 2 ferrets (from his animal management course during college holidays). Inevitably, Babs and Harry escaped - although Babs was still loitering in the neighbourhood - Harry was long gone. He was 'entire' and his hormones were running amok. During the next 3 weeks, there were sightings around town (we had to turn into hard-core ferret detectives due to my son's mortification at college). A long tale, involving returning from the dead, attempted ferret napping, a taxi-driver's network, mistaken identity...but amazingly,we did get him back 3 weeks later - looking definitely thinner but sleek and vital. I surprised myself by how stressed and worried I had been...and how overjoyed we were to have him back safely.

Thanks everyone. It's somehow more upsetting when you've been nursing them. Thanks for the story Campanula, they are surprisingly likable animals. Even the stinky entire hobs.

Baloo:

They've caught him looking quite young here. He's a grumpy old bruiser really. In very good shape for his age.

Zach:

Zach's a little fat old softy. The photo was taken in the summer when he didn't have his winter weight.

Um... how do you stop parrots pooing everywhere when they're loose like that? :hmm:

You don't, really :D With some patience you can train them to fly back to their cage to go, or to a perch over some newspaper.
Fortunately (with the exception of nectar-eating loris and lorikeets) parrot poo is pretty inoffensive and easily cleaned up, and they don't go that often (they're not like mice that constantly poo and piss everywhere). I did occasionally used to arrive at work with parrot poo that I hadn't noticed down the back of my shirt or something however :oops:

Um... how do you stop parrots pooing everywhere when they're loose like that? :hmm:
What Epona said really. Pockle makes it really clear when she's about to go so we're sometimes able to shoo her back to her cage to do it but she has the run of the house so we just have to be vigilant. Compared to when I had rats her poo rates very low on the gross scale though and is super easy to clean up.

What Epona said really. Pockle makes it really clear when she's about to go so we're sometimes able to shoo her back to her cage to do it but she has the run of the house so we just have to be vigilant. Compared to when I had rats her poo rates very low on the gross scale though and is super easy to clean up.

Yeah this really, with Jasper he always sort of assumed a position (straddled his legs a bit and screwed up his face - ok I might be exaggerating but if you know your pet bird you can tell when they are going to go) when he was about to poo and he was very loving and responded to training well so I was almost always able to get him on his perch (above newspaper) before he let loose.

I am not sure how Quaker poo is, but Sennie poo was never that much of a fuss to deal with, it's fairly dry and not like dealing with goose shit or anything like that, which (if you have ever experienced it!) is truly unpleasant! :D

Thanks everyone. It's somehow more upsetting when you've been nursing them. Thanks for the story Campanula, they are surprisingly likable animals. Even the stinky entire hobs.

Baloo:

They've caught him looking quite young here. He's a grumpy old bruiser really. In very good shape for his age.

Zach:

Zach's a little fat old softy. The photo was taken in the summer when he didn't have his winter weight.
Your ferrets are gorgeous :)

Most interesting ferret story I have is that back when I was a kid I lived in the back of beyond and used to sing in the church choir. Midnight mass, there I was in the church choir, all done up in my robes and trying to look angelic (I was about 12 or 13 years old).
Of course as it is midnight mass and in a tiny village some people come in from the Percy Arms (nearby pub).
About midway through the service, we (in the choir stalls at the back) spot this little adorable ferret face poking out of one of the pub-goers jackets - really cute albino ferret. The ferret makes a run for it. The church is filled with screaming as the errant creature just goes for a bit of a wander - blue rinse ladies are climbing up to stand on their seats telling people "It will run up your legs!", the kids in the choir are effervescent with excitement, and the vicar (very "new age" sort of vicar) is appealing for calm.

Best fucking midnight mass ever. Ferret Mass :D :D

Last edited:
Yes, just gorgeous ferret portraits Knotted (and so sorry to hear about poor wee Fergus.)

My gang are all fine - just haven't got round to taking many photos lately, which is odd for me! :)

Griff and Mal last weekend

16357207142_5176cb8746_z.jpg

16332117426_5f6475613e_z.jpg

That's a nice set of ferret pics you've got there - and I agree the photographer did a great job

Your ferrets are gorgeous :)

Most interesting ferret story I have is that back when I was a kid I lived in the back of beyond and used to sing in the church choir. Midnight mass, there I was in the church choir, all done up in my robes and trying to look angelic (I was about 12 or 13 years old).
Of course as it is midnight mass and in a tiny village some people come in from the Percy Arms (nearby pub).
About midway through the service, we (in the choir stalls at the back) spot this little adorable ferret face poking out of one of the pub-goers jackets - really cute albino ferret. The ferret makes a run for it. The church is filled with screaming as the errant creature just goes for a bit of a wander - blue rinse ladies are climbing up to stand on their seats telling people "It will run up your legs!", the kids in the choir are effervescent with excitement, and the vicar (very "new age" sort of vicar) is appealing for calm.

Best fucking midnight mass ever. Ferret Mass :D :D

Got a few "Percy arms" around here,

Back
Top Bottom