Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russell Brand Crap/Not Crap

Russell Brand Crap/not Crap

• Total voters
He may be a brilliant fund raiser and philanthropist, I wouldn't know, but I remain of the view that he's a crap comedian, crap presenter, and crap actor, and the last few years since this thread last surfaced have not changed my view in any way.

HTH.

I can't stand him. My friend gave me his book for my birthday! I almost cried that she knew me so little.

He was brilliant years back when he presented Big Brother's Little Brother. Genuinely so entertaining, funny and likeable. Not even sure if he was a household name back then, presumably not.
His Ponderland series more recently was very funny too.

He was brilliant years back when he presented Big Brother's Little Brother. Genuinely so entertaining, funny and likeable. Not even sure if he was a household name back then, presumably not.
His Ponderland series more recently was very funny too.
At risk of being accused of being pedantic, he didn't present Big Brother's Little Brother. That was various people, but was mostly known as being Dermot O'Leary's show. Brand presented the late night show called Big Brother's Big Mouth, and he, and it, were universally dreadful. The last bit is my humble opinion, of course.

It was that programme which brought him to national attention. Before that, he was simply a stand up comedian, and not a particularly good one, either, imho. I saw him at the Gipsy Hill Tavern long before he was on telly, and was not impressed then, and have not been impressed since.

His radio shows were brilliant. Hilarious boundry pushing/breaking radio.

His stand up and films not so hot, but when doing off the cuff type stuff he is excellent. Although Ponderland was great too.

He was actually the presenter of a show called Dance Floor Chart on MTV long befoe his Big Brother days where i first saw him. I always liked him since then - he would go up to ravers off their heads on E's and come out with the most surreal stuff. He asked one fella if he'd like to come to his farm and marry his cousin, when the bloke asked what she was like he said "A bit like Dave Lee Travis with sick in his beard". I always remembered that.

Another episode he was shuffling around the dancefloor dressed like the elephant man with his hat, bag and coat

I think the man is a pratt, I switch over or off as soon as I see he is coming on.

Rarely have I seen someone who so believes his own bullshit as Brand does!

His radio shows were brilliant. Hilarious boundry pushing/breaking radio.

His stand up and films not so hot, but when doing off the cuff type stuff he is excellent. Although Ponderland was great too.

He was actually the presenter of a show called Dance Floor Chart on MTV long befoe his Big Brother days where i first saw him. I always liked him since then - he would go up to ravers off their heads on E's and come out with the most surreal stuff. He asked one fella if he'd like to come to his farm and marry his cousin, when the bloke asked what she was like he said "A bit like Dave Lee Travis with sick in his beard". I always remembered that.

Another episode he was shuffling around the dancefloor dressed like the elephant man with his hat, bag and coat
I loved him on MTV too. I still love him. I would, you know....

At risk of being accused of being pedantic, he didn't present Big Brother's Little Brother. That was various people, but was mostly known as being Dermot O'Leary's show. Brand presented the late night show called Big Brother's Big Mouth, and he, and it, were universally dreadful. The last bit is my humble opinion, of course.
Yeah, that's the one, couldn't remember the name!

I too liked him on MTV, went right off him, then I really liked him again after seeing the addiction documentary recently.

This interview here shows possibly how he manages to have so many women, pretty charming and funny

Russell Brand and Milla Jovovich

Is he crap or not crap at what? What actually is he? :D

a comedian, although he hasn't done much comedeing lately afaik

I did like his line about the Sun newspaper 'ever grow up with a mate who you one day realise you actually fuckin hate'

I was stuck at my bros house once and read his bio. Its quite amusing, but on the honesty scale it scores a 5/10

theres a bit where he says 'I just kept doing things to see what would happen if I didn't stop' which I can sort of appreciate

I think it likely that Russell Brand is a good comedian (although I have seen him doing standup, and was not impressed).

He may be a brilliant fund raiser and philanthropist, I wouldn't know, but I remain of the view that he's a crap comedian, crap presenter, and crap actor, and the last few years since this thread last surfaced have not changed my view in any way.

HTH.
Your view has changed. :p

DotCommunist said:
a comedian, although he hasn't done much comedeing lately afaik

I did like his line about the Sun newspaper 'ever grow up with a mate who you one day realise you actually fuckin hate'

I was stuck at my bros house once and read his bio. Its quite amusing, but on the honesty scale it scores a 5/10

theres a bit where he says 'I just kept doing things to see what would happen if I didn't stop' which I can sort of appreciate

I voted crap but tbf I probably haven't seen enough of what he does to know. The few times he has entered my sphere though I didn't laugh so was unsure if he was actually a comic or just a celeb for celebrity's sake.

Your view has changed. :p
The most interesting thing about that is that you went back through the thread to find out what I had thought 7 years ago :)

And I don't think I have changed my view. I am just a bit less polite than I used to be. As I said previously - I was "not impressed". That translate as "crap", don't you think? :D

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Congratulations Hibernian. Great team, cool fans.</p>&mdash; Russell Brand (@rustyrockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/rustyrockets/status/323223911821086721">April 13, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Russell Brand@rustyrockets
Congratulations Hibernian. Great team, cool fans.

pfft didn't work, h'dyou get twiiter posts to embed?

I'll hold fire for no for him saying this. :D

Which got loads of jambos crawling out the woodwork saying how he'd fit right in with the junkies/ex-junkies :facepalm: like the troglodytes they are.

Dressing up as Bin Laden the day after 9/11 and turning up to MTV with his dealer wasn't the best advised move.

That said, it's for moments like this I keep watching his shows. He had the Westbro Baptist church on his show the other week, and basically mocked them for the entire interview and bought out a bunch of gay people to share the stage with them. He also had hardline anti-illegal immigration activist Lupe Moreno on, and then bought in a bunch of illegal immigrants to piss her off.

And then he gets cool people like Noel Fielding, or John Hagelin, or Kevin Smith on for balance. Tis ace.

like him in documentary mode, but not stand up. when he's not acting the loon he seems a warm, thoughtful type. soon as he gets on stage though, shoot me.

Has anyone here seen him in the remake of Arthur? I thought he was perfect in that - well-cast for the debauchery, but he was also very convincing in the sad bits. A surprisingly good actor.

Funny, but punchable.
Exactly. It depends what mood he is sometimes as to whether you turn him over. Occasionally, he's both at the same time - I don't really enjoy that but I prefer it to punchable. I like it when he's funny and not punchable and that's usually in unscripted interviews.

Back
Top Bottom