80s films were crap. Yes? No?

80s films...crap / not crap

• 99% were totally crap

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • 50% were not crap

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • My favourite films are from the 80s

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I was barely born..90s films were my thing.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Some of the best films ever made were from the 80s (name them)

Votes: 24 58.5%

• Total voters
Anthony Edwards appears in both films, but count yourself lucky you were spared both.

The Top Gun sequel is a marked improvement on the original. Which shouldn't have been too much of a task, Tbh.
it wasn't luck. I had a pro Thatcher, pro US, gung ho school acquaintance who kept going on about Top Gun so I avoided it to annoy him.

it wasn't luck. I had a pro Thatcher, pro US, gung ho school acquaintance who kept going on about Top Gun so I avoided it to annoy him.
Top Gun became a thing, again, in the 90s when certain commentators ascribed a homoerotic subtext to some of the characters and scenes. Mean, that's debatable and the subtext to the subtext came across as sneery anyway, so take it with a pinch of salt.

There's scenes in the film that are of concern and it's nothing to do with homoeroticism. It's Maverick following women into the toilet and getting violent with the sole black character, that dont sit at all well, for example.

This from 1984 - you'll love it!!!
muppets-1024x576.jpg
Nah, Muppet Treasure Island in this house 😀

Just finished Come And See.
Very depressing.
Ending got to me...especially when the boy was shooting at the picture of Hitler seeing history reverse in his mind ..
Won't say tol much more.

Remarkable film.
Thanks for mentioning it.

Eta. Not sure I will sleep

You probably won’t be too keen on watching that again anytime soon but it’s worth a 2nd watch. First time around you’re immersed in the horror, 2nd time is good l to appreciate the film making skills.

Just watched River's Edge, as a result of it being mentioned a fair bit in Devil House. Interesting film, a bit like a slightly less bleak precursor to Kids? Still not hugely upbeat, though.
Oh, and my other thought about River's Edge is that it was interesting watching it with 2023 eyes cos in recent years Stranger Things has done so much to... celebrate? romanticise? that mid-80s small-town teen loser aesthetic and River's Edge is a bit like Stranger Things if the kids were the monsters. Dennis Hopper turns up playing a character not a million miles from his performance in Blue Velvet, and there's an argument to be made for him as the moral heart of the film.

I found a Swedish film behind the TV cabinet of the couple I was babysitting for in the mid 80's. That was a rather interesting movie. No idea of the name though.

The Hitcher was good.

You probably won’t be too keen on watching that again anytime soon but it’s worth a 2nd watch. First time around you’re immersed in the horror, 2nd time is good l to appreciate the film making skills.
Yea.. I didnt sleep for hours and then got to sleep around 6am. Woke with a headache.
I don't think its a film I will watch again. ..

Oh, and my other thought about River's Edge is that it was interesting watching it with 2023 eyes cos in recent years Stranger Things has done so much to... celebrate? romanticise? that mid-80s small-town teen loser aesthetic and River's Edge is a bit like Stranger Things if the kids were the monsters. Dennis Hopper turns up playing a character not a million miles from his performance in Blue Velvet, and there's an argument to be made for him as the moral heart of the film.
Another film I'll need to look up.
Is it anywhere free online?

Fuck sake...

Cinema Paradiso
Blue Velvet
Blade Runner
The Shining
Brazil
The Untouchables
Die Hard
The Big Chill
Scarface
Poltergeist
Sex, Lies & Videotape
Blood Simple
Local Hero
Mona Lisa
Spinal Tap
The Thing
Koyaanisqatsi (yes, I had to look it up!)
The Terminator
Dead Poets Society
and The Blues Brothers
and loads of others I can't remember right now
Oh,
Broadway Danny Rose (chef's kiss)
And loads of The Comic Strip Presents stuff

Fuck sake...

Cinema Paradiso
Blue Velvet
Blade Runner
The Shining
Brazil
The Untouchables
Die Hard
The Big Chill
Scarface
Poltergeist
Sex, Lies & Videotape
Blood Simple
Local Hero
Mona Lisa
Spinal Tap
The Thing
Koyaanisqatsi (yes, I had to look it up!)
The Terminator
Dead Poets Society
and The Blues Brothers
and loads of others I can't remember right now
Oh,
Broadway Danny Rose (chef's kiss)
And loads of The Comic Strip Presents stuff
Being pedantic here, but afaik, only The Supergrass was a cinema release for The Comic Strip Presents...

Mr Jolly would have been great fun on the big screen, though.

That’s a bold claim. So many more that are way funnier.
From that time period, of the early 80s? Animal House, Stripes and Ghostbusters are a bit rapey and Trading Places is borderline dodgy.

Loved them at the time but they just don't hold up today.

Are they the ones you mean?

From that time period, of the early 80s? Animal House, Stripes and Ghostbusters are a bit rapey and Trading Places is borderline dodgy.

Loved them at the time but they just don't hold up today.

Are they the ones you mean?
Not those - I was thinking of later films, not just 80s ones. But I would still watch Trading Places again if it came on the telly (which it won’t cos I don’t watch tv like that anymore). Would switch off instantly if Blues Brothers did the same.

Being pedantic here, but afaik, only The Supergrass was a cinema release for The Comic Strip Presents...

Mr Jolly would have been great fun on the big screen, though.
They had just one other cinema release - Eat the Rich (1987)
Awful film but interesting for it's eclectic casting...
Paul McCartney, Shane MacGowan, Hugh Cornwall, Lemmy, Koo Stark, Bill Wyman, Sandie Shaw...

Back
Top Bottom