80s films were crap. Yes? No?

80s films...crap / not crap

• 99% were totally crap

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • 50% were not crap

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • My favourite films are from the 80s

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I was barely born..90s films were my thing.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Some of the best films ever made were from the 80s (name them)

Votes: 24 58.5%

• Total voters
The addition of Ski School at the end of this list is an absolute masterclass of trolling, bravo :D and I say that as someone who used to own it on VHS.

Loads of my faves in this list otherwise.
Not seen Ski School

I must have a search for it . 😀

we watched so many films in the 80s I had to write them in a diary so we didn't do repeats.
Labyrinth was not crap, not imo anyhow :) I loved pretty much anything with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn too, was going to say the Wanderers and Warriors but they were both 79(I checked)

There are great films (from a cinematographic acomplishment standpoint speaking) from every decade. I am not sure if the 80s produced more or less artistic masterpieces than other decades, but I think there can be little argument that it has delivered the highest number of iconic, highly enjoyable popular cult films that most people have watched multiple times, regulary quote from, and continue to rewatch of a Sunday afternoon. And by a massive margin compared to any other decade as well.

As above, I have made no allowances for the poor taste of respondents on U75.

I liked Labyrinth and Time Bandits..Star Wars..Indiana Jones..
Any sci fi stuff...
I did love any sci fi - including the Star Wars sequels; and went to see Time Bandits when i was kid, all by myself. Missed out on Labyrinth cos I was "cool" student then and pretty pissed off about the recent direction of Bowie's work, though I've come to love it since. There was a film called Lifeforce which I really liked, based on a Colin Wilson book, which featured Patrick Stewart and another actor who briefly became a personal friend in the early '00s. Also what was that film set on a space station with Sean Connery in it? It was touted as High Noon in space but I can't remember its name. Outland? And Highlander! I do realise though that a lot of these middle budget sci fi films are not exactly considered classics, but they were important for me.

oh, and all the Star Trek films!!

And on a different note, the first music film I ever saw in cinema was Breaking Glass - but again, it doesn't really stand up today.

Prizzi's Honour also stands the test of time. Nicholson and Kathleen Turner had a rewarding 80s in film. Another Huston classic is the beautiful The Dead, the story was decades old when it came to the big screen and it's such a shame it's kind of been forgotten. Maybe its too slow paced for today's audience, but would still recommend.

The Hunger
Fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe.
Alien
Blade runner
Diva (or was 70s?)
Koyananquatsi (probably spelt wrongly)
Diva was definitely 80s

Still not seen The Hunger, although recall reviews at the time were mixed. It's gathered a following since then but one of those films that's inexplicably absent from streaming...

Back
Top Bottom