80s films were crap. Yes? No?

80s films...crap / not crap

• 99% were totally crap

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • 50% were not crap

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • My favourite films are from the 80s

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I was barely born..90s films were my thing.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Some of the best films ever made were from the 80s (name them)

Votes: 24 58.5%

• Total voters
Come and See (1985)

One of the greatest films, 80s or otherwise.
Not heard of it..I must look it up. 👍
Anyone said, Room with a view, yet?
That was a good film.

I was looking up 80s films which Anthony Hopkins acted in. Not that many as it turns out but he did act in 84 Charing Cross Road which I only saw a few years ago. It has stood the test of time and was enjoyable.
The Elephant Man and The Bounty were another 2 of his from the 80s.

Not heard of it..I must look it up. 👍

That was a good film.

I was looking up 80s films which Anthony Hopkins acted in. Not that many as it turns out but he did act in 84 Charing Cross Road which I only saw a few years ago. It has stood the test of time and was enjoyable.
The Elephant Man and The Bounty were another 2 of his from the 80s.
Love 84 Charing Cross Road..
Sadly now a McDonalds..:(
84%20Charing%20Cross%20Road,%20Patrick%20Comerford,%20London,%202022.JPG

Just watched River's Edge, as a result of it being mentioned a fair bit in Devil House. Interesting film, a bit like a slightly less bleak precursor to Kids? Still not hugely upbeat, though.

Don’t have too much planned after the film. You’ve been warned.
Just finished Come And See.
Very depressing.
Ending got to me...especially when the boy was shooting at the picture of Hitler seeing history reverse in his mind ..
Won't say tol much more.

Remarkable film.
Thanks for mentioning it.

Eta. Not sure I will sleep

80s films were highly representative of 80s life.

A background of supreme naffness, punctuated by moments of brilliance.

I lived in Liverpool for half of the 1980s. "Letter to Brezhnev", romantic comedy about, stealing a wallet from a sleazy predator, falling in love with a merchant seaman, and emigrating to the Soviet Union, seemed to resonate with most people I knew there at the time, certainly, more so than "A Room with a View".

Last edited:
I lived in Liverpool for half of the 1980s. "Letter to Brezhnev", romantic comedy about falling in love with a merchant seaman and emigrating to the Soviet Union, seemed to resonate with most people I knew there at the time, certainly, more so than "A Room with a View".
Both great, such a shame LtB seems to have faded from consciousness. It deserves better.

Robocop - the first one - is 1987. So it very much depends on your definition of crap.

Then you've got the Indian Jones trilogy, which are all 80s, Full Metal Jacket (1986, I think), et cetera.

There's a lot of early 80s stuff, though, which is basically "hangover of the 70s". Like Scarface, which starts off with Al Pacino actually acting, before he decides to adopt a cartoon persona instead.

Romancing the Stone thoughhhh! So good, right?

Enjoyed Weird Science at the pictures. :oops:

Winning at life, baby!

Obviously there's a mixed bunch here but whatever you think of the films listed at least they're not yet another bloody superhero film/remake/number nine in some tedious franchise. So win for the 80s over current cinema I reckon.
Remakes, sequels etc are legion throughout the decades, since the early years of cinema. The 80s are no different.

Extemely funny in parts, as I remember. I'm not sure how well it will have aged though.

I'll give it another watch (purely research ;) )
Yeah, some of the "classic" films from the decade are very much in vogue with the younger generation... but quite a few of them had little interest in.

For a good while, it was British output that intrigued.

Defence of the Realm
Withnail and I
Mona Lisa
Hidden Agenda
Riff Raff
No Surrender

And some of the aforementioned like Letter to Brezhnev.

Going to see the gung ho US films like Gotcha, Top Gun... just found them so alien, compared to what was into, then.

That said, Full Metal Jacket and Platoon are seared in the brain. But they were the opposite of all the flag waving shite.

Back
Top Bottom