Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Phil Hughes - Australian cricketer dies, aged 25, after being struck by ball during game

gabi

Banned
Banned
Thought he deserved his own thread, not buried, so to speak, in the England thread.

A hugely talented cricketer who never quite lived up to his potential. He died attempting his signature pull shot. A great loss, and a great warning to all of us who play the game. RIP. And massive sympathy for the bowler who killed him.

ind-phildef2-620x0.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...ies-after-bouncer-at-scg-20141127-11vcpt.html

No on walks out to the middle and expects to finish their life out there. RIP.

Wonder how this will affect the game - especially the aggressive fast bowlers and those not 1000% confident in the hook - there's a few articles around about how PH could never play the hook tho felt pressured into mastering what is widely considered an instinctive thing you can't really be taught.

Going to take a bit for them to block it out their mind.

A terrible thing. How desperately sad for him and his loved ones. Being an ex-fast bowler myself, I can't imagine how Abbott would be feeling now. He will be told by all those around him and in the cricket community that it isn't his fault, but it will be so hard for him to deal with this.

A very sad day for cricket.

Sad news, thinking of his family.

That said, a cricket ball is hard and, I know from my own experience, fast bowlers can be scarily fast. Perhaps what is surprising is that this hasn't happened before.

I think Harold Larwood did some damage back in the 30s, before the advent of helmets. I hope this doesnt lead to a change in the laws of the game. Short pitched bowling is challenging at pace but this was a freak accident. I didnt know much about Hughes, but he sounds a really decent guy from the articles i've been reading. Really very sad.

No on walks out to the middle and expects to finish their life out there. RIP.

Wonder how this will affect the game - especially the aggressive fast bowlers and those not 1000% confident in the hook - there's a few articles around about how PH could never play the hook tho felt pressured into mastering what is widely considered an instinctive thing you can't really be taught.

Going to take a bit for them to block it out their mind.
He was a very down to earth, hard working, honest country boy by all accounts so I guess he would have tried hard to master the shot. I've not seen the footage, but apparently it wasn't even a noticeably brutal ball that he received.

We all know that cricket's dangerous. Part of the attraction is the duel between aggressive quickies and a brave, talented batsman. The threat of serious injury is always there and helmet technology is imperfect.

My heart goes out to his family, especially his poor mother and sister who were at the game when it happened. My sympathies to everyone involved with the teams he played for as well. Cricket is a close knit game and the whole cricket family will be in anguish today.

Phillip Hughes - New South Wales, South Australia, Middlesex, Hampshire, Worcestershire, Mumbai Indians and Australia. 26 Tests, 1535 runs, average 32.65, 3 centuries, highest score 160. 9023 first class runs, average 46.51, highest score 243 not out. A huge talent forever unfulfilled and a man taken way, way before his time doing what he was so very very good at.

Rest in peace.

Shit news, RIP Phil Hughes :(

Hope Sean Abbott gets plenty of support too (and stays off social media for his own sanity, the dickheads have already started apparently :mad:)

Anyone who has walked out to the crease and stood there knows how fast that ball comes at you and how much it can hurt even at village team speeds.
I am so shocked by this awful event, no one expects fatalities at a cricket match, we expect what we have all suffered, cracked fingers, sore ribs bruised thighs and so on.
Terrible for all involved and my condolences to Phil Hughes family.
I hope the bowler gets all the help he can too.

27th November turning into a pretty shit day for sports deaths - Gary Speed died on this date as well as did Len Shackleton. Just been reading back my old posts on here about Hughes - one of them is from days before the first test in the 2009 looking forward to flintoff and Broad getting it up him - and many of the others were comments on his inability to play the short ball. I worry that those reading about this tragic accident realise that when we talk of targeting batsmen, we don't mean this, and don't call for bans on bouncers etc. That said, that's all very minor compared to what at least four families are going through now. Still can't believe this has happened.

Shit news, RIP Phil Hughes :(

Hope Sean Abbott gets plenty of support too (and stays off social media for his own sanity, the dickheads have already started apparently :mad:)
ffs. :mad:

To anyone who doesn't know much about cricket, the bowler did absolutely nothing wrong. Phil Hughes would have been the first to say this.

I heard the designer of the helmet he was wearing being interviewed earlier. He was saying there's a fine line between being able to move your head freely and safety. This was a freak accident.

Anyone whos ever worn a cricket helmet though will know that its not exactly the most comfortable piece of equipment. Movement and vision are severely limited. There's a reason batsmen whip them off as soon as slow bowler comes on.

why the hell is the mail publishing pics of a distraught Sean Abbot leaving the hospital after bring told of Hughes death? Fucking ghouls.

RIP. I woke up to this, and one of his team mates talking, who could barely hold it together. Such a horrible accident and so sad :(

jesus christ, the mail really is going to town on it. what a bunch of fuckwits. the poor dude who bowled the ball. leave him alone. for the rest of his career this is what he is going to be known for. he must be shattered.

Back
Top Bottom