Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Revolution in Sudan starts

Bump.

I'm getting smattering of news from Khartoum that there's ongoing protests and people being killed by the authorities.

Can't find anything BBC.

Another vague memory of mine. Walking through central Khartoum (be the British Embassy) one night and seeing a shop with a window display - a rarity in Sudan at the time - it was a shop selling riot shields, helmets, truncheons etc.

Odd? Who would buy that stuff?

Perhaps the type of people hanging out in the Embassies gives a bit of a clue.

is there an actual 'revolution'??
perhaps there is but i suspect some people want to see revolutions wherever they look.
i have heard talk of 'Sudanese Revolution', but is there actually one?

is there an actual 'revolution'??
perhaps there is but i suspect some people want to see revolutions wherever they look.
i have heard talk of 'Sudanese Revolution', but is there actually one?
When the thread was started (by me, I'd just returned from living in Khartoum) in 2012 there was a lot of talk of a revolution starting there. It was crushed. There's been rumblings of a resurgence of anti Bashir protests ever since. Maybe this time it will happen.

When the thread was started (by me, I'd just returned from living in Khartoum) in 2012 there was a lot of talk of a revolution starting there. It was crushed. There's been rumblings of a resurgence of anti Bashir protests ever since. Maybe this time it will happen.

There was a decade before when I was there too. Saw protests (and anti-protest measures) regularly across the country.

not much info in Sudan, the links posted above are interesting, but do not tell me there is any 'revolution'.

my suspicion about the use of the word 'revolution' is with the kind of pseudo revolutions so many were tricked into supporting in Libya, Syria etc.
where is the libyan revolution now? nowhere. people were tricked into supporting something they barely understood which ended up in the invasion of libya. funny how all these 'libyan revolution' people are now strangely quiet and don't say anything now about Libya.

I am NOT an expert on any of this, but get the feeling that many of us were somewhat tricked in the arab spring by anarcho/trot rhetoric about 'revolution'. not a supporter of Gaddafi, Assad or anything, but it would have been better if so many on the left didn't support the uprising in libya under false pretences.

I am NOT saying this is what the above posters above are doing. it is good to know what is happening, but i just feel it is too easy to claim 'revolution' at the first drop of a hat.

I'd argue that revolution is a process, not an event, and many (most?) fail to complete.

I'd be curious to know what are the signs that tell us that a 'revolution' is in process.
i am asking not to be awkward, but my Leninist friends always say ' without a revolutionary party, there is no revolution'

what would constitute a successful revolution?

I'd be curious to know what are the signs that tell us that a 'revolution' is in process.
i am asking not to be awkward, but my Leninist friends always say ' without a revolutionary party, there is no revolution'

what would constitute a successful revolution?

Your Leninist friends are wrong.

However, there are (or at least were) revolutionary parties in Sudan. I have no idea about the health of them nor whether they are involved in the current unrest

Revolution starts when people decide that the current system cannot be reformed and needs to be replaced. I guess they succeed if they achieve that.

Not every revolution is a glorious proletarian one leading to communism.

Crossposting from the social change in Africa thread:

Africa in 2019: The youngest continent fights back | Article | Africa Confidential

One topic of discussion at the time of the Arab spring was whether or not the example would spill over into Africa. This claims it has, but I'd say it's more of a recurring pattern of protest in the continent, so it will operate according to its own logic. Which might mean a better outcome than in the Arab lands.

Your Leninist friends are wrong.

However, there are (or at least were) revolutionary parties in Sudan. I have no idea about the health of them nor whether they are involved in the current unrest

Revolution starts when people decide that the current system cannot be reformed and needs to be replaced. I guess they succeed if they achieve that.

Not every revolution is a glorious proletarian one leading to communism.

I'm not convinced of Leninism myself either, but i wonder sometimes whether the term 'revolution' is too vague and emotionally and ideologically laden, that we read all kinds of things into it.

what if there is no revolution in Sudan at all, but there are simply protests.
in which case, it would be better for the title of this thread to say ' protests in sudan start', rather than 'revolution in Sudan starts'.

there are, as far as i can tell from the links posted, only protests in Sudan, not really a 'revolution'.

Look at the date the thread was started - i.e the wider context - and who it was started by.
I started the thread, all those years back, because I'd recently returned from Sudan after living there for a year. I still have good, close, friends living in Khartoum and environs. At that time there was another urb living there.

When the thread was started I had hopes for a full revolution and a large amount of freedom being restored. My friends there hoped for the same.

I'm not sure what my having started the thread has to do with anything, but your point about the wider context is apt.

Back
Top Bottom