Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Revolution in Sudan starts

Bumping thread

Just got this from a friend over there.

Any one have any other information? I am very concerned for all my friends there. Although I had a bad time living there, the people I met were incredibly kind and generous.

There's a brief article on the BBC website.

Yes, he should be tried for what he is accused of. But how many more, innocent, people are going to be killed in the meantime?

Aye.

Thing is with regimes like this is that sooner or later they fall, violently.

The longer they last the more die/suffer in the meantime (3 million odd died in the civil war led by this regime fwiw).

I wish it wasn't so.

But at this point, the quicker he goes the better.

It's not just the ones who "officially" died in the civil war. While we were living there many others were killed in attacks around the country, especially in the South and Dafur.

It's not just the ones who "officially" died in the civil war. While we were living there many others were killed in attacks around the country, especially in the South and Dafur.

Indeed.:(

Whilst I was in Sudan there were three separate civil wars that I knew of, plus the "clearing" of the oil fields and internal repression more generally (the "ghost houses" for example.)

There plenty of riots etc. even then. I got caught up in some. Not on the scale that this appears to be though.

Just got this from another friend over there:
Actually according to local reports the number of people who got shot are over 60 and hundreds are injured , and the numbers are rising. In our area only five were shot.

Same friend links to this: http://www.girifna.com/8702 which is an article entitled
Sudan: Rising Death Toll of Peaceful Protesters and Internet Blackout

There's also a link to a video which shows female students marching in Khartoum (I think) They are dressed in typical university uniform. The article also says
Reports of deaths of peaceful protesters, mainly by live bullets, indicate that in Khartoum alone about 100 civilians were killed– by the end of the third day of protests. While in Madani the death toll reached 12 civilians by Tuesday. The number of those injured is much higher, but could not be confirmed.

At least I am in direct touch with two of my Sudanese friends still there, only one has not replied at all.

My friend has just reported that her neighbour was killed yesterday as he tried to get home and to safety. He was shot by the police. Today, Friday, is the day that, traditionally, the protesters take to the streets after prayers. I fear that this is likely to descend into another Syria.

It never stops does it? Poor innocent folks, again.:(
It's always the poor, and the innocent how suffer so much. The rich just get richer. I am worried about my friends there while also feeling relieved that we didn't go back. Much of this would have been literally on our doorstep.

My friend has just reported that her neighbour was killed yesterday as he tried to get home and to safety. He was shot by the police. Today, Friday, is the day that, traditionally, the protesters take to the streets after prayers. I fear that this is likely to descend into another Syria.

That depends upon how much the regime can mobilise popular support and trust the army.

That depends upon how much the regime can mobilise popular support and trust the army.
At the moment I don't think that they can mobilise popular support, but they seem to have the loyalty of the army. I don't see this ending soon, or well.

At the moment I don't think that they can mobilise popular support, but they seem to have the loyalty of the army. I don't see this ending soon, or well.

The Janjaweed originated in Darfur on the basis of "counterinsurgency on the cheap" - let a militia do the dirty work, and have that militia pay themselves by preying on the civilian population into the bargain. Maybe they'll extend that model to suppress urban revolt. . .

The Janjaweed originated in Darfur on the basis of "counterinsurgency on the cheap" - let a militia do the dirty work, and have that militia pay themselves by preying on the civilian population into the bargain. Maybe they'll extend that model to suppress urban revolt. . .
Given how things went in Darfur I sincerely hope not.

Militia were also used against the South. Riding down alongside the "slave train" burning, looting, pillaging on the way. Similar to the janjaweed, maybe one and the same.

I also remember seeing convoys of "volunteer jihadis" crammed into battered Toyota Hiluxes and being sent South by cheering crowds in Khartoum.

I couldn't tell you how many were actual volunteers though.

It was, however, I suspect a lot easier for the regime to paper over dissent in the North with cheap appeals to holy war.

Even so, the universities simmered and people still took to the streets and fought the police etc.

Also worth pondering if the regime will continue to use Chinese weapons and personnel and whether western companies will continue to allow their infrastructure to be used by the Sudanese military to crush dissent.

...of course, the answer is obvious.

Also worth pondering if the regime will continue to use Chinese weapons and personnel and whether western companies will continue to allow their infrastructure to be used by the Sudanese military to crush dissent.

...of course, the answer is obvious.
While there's money to be made...

Just heard that someone, who lives in an area where a friend lives, and with a very similar name, has been shot dead by the police. We are hoping it is not our friend. Hoping he can get to reply to our e-mail very soon.

In my time there there was a widespread and deeply embedded network of informers in every housing block, neighbourhood etc. they certainly kept a very close eye on me.

If they stay loyal to the regime the protesters will have problems.

Just got this from one of my friends
Fire wastamlo nerve gas to quell protesters in the daroshap neighbourhood to prevent them from going out to shambat---

Just got this from the same friend
Iwent and i protested tody .it was peasefull protest, but goverment attemted to arriset protesters and though (teargas) to break' it the guys asked us to go home .so that what we did .then we heard gun shots and screems. it was close

Just heard that someone, who lives in an area where a friend lives, and with a very similar name, has been shot dead by the police. We are hoping it is not our friend. Hoping he can get to reply to our e-mail very soon.
Just heard from him, he's safe. Just someone with a very similar name has been killed.

Back
Top Bottom