Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Regional anti-cuts organising

Twitter: Leeds Council Chambers being occupied

Don't know much about this, there is some kind of lobby of Leeds Council today, I don't know if they've occupied the chamber whilst it's in use or not.

Shame that not many people turned up to the council meeting BA, especially after so many marched at the weekend. I hope that Birmingham can get similar numbers out on saturday, but also get them there on Tuesday for the budget meeting.

Just got back from leeds city council occupation.

They were supposed to be meeting in full council to vote on the budget - including laying off 3000 people and slashing funding for numerous communtiy groups, projects and local charities.

About 70 - 100 people turned up in - lots of young people. Security were unprepared and we manaaged to force our way in and occupy the chamber. Appeals by the council executive that we leave and move to the gallery where we would be free to listen to the debate were met with derision.

After about an hour we learnt that the meeting was being reconveened upstairs - determined attempt to get upstairs were defeated by the late arriving coppers. Two women were assualted by police in seperate incidents.

We then learn that the meeting was cancelled and everybody left. Then it turns out that they are planning to do the meeting later today in private back at the council chamber - which by now is totally pigged out.

Oh well - we were never going to stop them having the meeting in the long run but the anti-cuts movement defeinitely made itself heard.

got a horrible feeling that the numbers are not growing as expected, 500 coaches for TUC event, is that many in context of say 2003 AW March..

Not my impression at all - 1000 train places booked from leeds (unision are laying them on) plus 10 coaches. and still plenty of time for that to grow.
No point comparing it with the anti-war demos - they were exceptional. Compare it with poll tax demos or anti-tory demos in the 80s.
Any demo of over 100,000 is very big - and I'm sure march 26 will exceed that.

Hackney Councillors sign statement against the cuts

The statement below, signed by six Hackney Labour councillors, was prepared for a tabloid paper published by Hackney Unites.

Hackney Unites is a diverse coalition of Hackney-based groups and individuals that have come together to challenge social exclusion and promote social justice.

The Con-Dem Coalition is attacking the fabric of a civilised society: NHS jobs and services are being cut and wholesale privatisation is planned. 3,500 young people in Hackney will lose Educational Maintenance Allowance and student fees are tripling. Access to legal aid is being choked off. Housing benefit restrictions threaten people’s homes. Disrepair stemming from cuts in the Decent Homes programme will affect health and increase stress.

Money available for local councils is to be cut back for four successive years. Some think we should protest - and wait for the next election. Our view is that we cannot wait until the damage is done. Nobody voted to privatise the NHS or make our communities pay for the bankers’ crisis. The government has no mandate. The bankers’ greed caused the crisis - they and their rich friends should pay for it through targeted taxes and a crack down on the tax loopholes used by millionaires and big corporations. As Labour Councillors, along with supporters of the Labour Representation Committee, we support a campaign to defeat the policies of this government through public protest, opposition and defiance.

We would like to see local Councils across London leading the charge and refusing to adopt cuts budgets as a result of government enforced policies and producing a Needs Budgets to show what should be funded. This won’t give local Councils the money to keep services running - but it would give a big boost to the campaign to defeat the government.

Labour needs to reinvent itself as a political movement - not just a party of management and government. Local residents and community organisations need to share their concerns and inform local councillors of the impact of cuts particularly where women, older people, the young, people with disabilities and Black and Minority Ethnic communities will be disproportionately affected by the cuts.

We are facing a national and international emergency and this calls for exceptional measures to mobilise our people and defeat the Con-Dem Coalition. If we do not speak out, our silence will be taken for agreement.

Cllr Barry Buitekant
Cllr Michelle Gregory
Cllr Linda Kelly
Cllr Deniz Oguzkanli
Cllr Ian Rathbone
Cllr Patrick Vernon

from here: http://www.stopcuts.net/news.14.htm

from HAPS:
Just to let everyone know there are mass protests this week all over
London outside and inside town halls... including tonight at
Hammersmith, Lambeth and Tower Hamlets.. tens of thousands of people
are mobilising to defend our public services!

Brixton council chambers have been occupied as well - there's a thread about todays demo in the Brixton forum.

HARINGEY PROTEST RALLY / CIVIC CENTRE
THURSDAY 24th FEBRUARY – 6.30pm

Bring friends, workmates and neighbours – and your own placards and banners

6.30pm – Borough-wide rally outside Council meeting, Civic Centre N22
5pm – 6pm – We’re calling for local protests at threatened sites around the borough

The Government is demanding £41m cuts this year to our
LIBRARIES, HEALTH SERVICES, COMMUNITY AND YOUTH CENTRES, SCHOOLS, GREEN SPACES, PUBLIC SERVICE JOBS AND VOLUNTARY ORGANISATIONS, AND MANY MORE VITAL SERVICES AND FACILITIES…

On the day Councillors will be discussing and voting on whether to make such savage cuts, we call on all those who live or work in Haringey to come and speak out together. We don’t have to accept this – we can stop cuts, closures and privatisation threats. Together we can defend our vital public services!

A mate of mine gave me a local Unison leaflet for a protest against the cuts. It listed the services being cut and the impact of them on one side , the other side invited people to attend with glow sticks.

A mate of mine gave me a local Unison leaflet for a protest against the cuts. It listed the services being cut and the impact of them on one side , the other side invited people to attend with glow sticks.

lol! FFS!

The last week or two has seen loads of budget meeting protests across the North East with large turnouts mostly despite being during work hours, must have been over 100 at Morpeth yesterday alone.

Loads of people desperate to get to the March 26th event as well.

lol! FFS!

The last week or two has seen loads of budget meeting protests across the North East with large turnouts mostly despite being during work hours, must have been over 100 at Morpeth yesterday alone.

Loads of people desperate to get to the March 26th event as well.

Manchester will be key up here but Unison will only strike if there are compulory redundancies. Lots of community protests and petitions.

Frustratingly the Leeds Coalition against the Cuts are dominated by the same trad left dinosaurs who dominated the anti-war stuff.
After the council occupation quite a few people turned up to their meeing where they did their usual stick of pooh poohing and sidelining suggestions from 'outsiders' and seemingly are doing nothing more than getting bums on coaches - no attempt is being made to help mobilise communities and the people on the recieving end in the city. They aren't even organising a local demo ffs.

Some of us are thinking of setting up a more pro-active, non herirachical group that actually tries to do something. Any interested leeds folk on here get in touch.

Protest against Natwest - Wood Green

Saturday 26th February
Meet at 12noon outside Wood Green Tube Station

Bring placards, banners, home furnishings...

The Royal Bank of Scotland, which owns Natwest, was bailed out by the British taxpayer at a cost of £45bn - more than half the amount of the government's £81bn four-year cuts programme. Despite us now having an 84% share in RBS, the bank has continued to pay massive bonuses to investment bankers and to gamble with our money.

Meanwhile the government are making ordinary people suffer the consequences of the banks' greed and recklessness. They could make the banks pay but instead they choose to make people pay by cutting vital public services.

On Saturday, we will be protesting against cuts to the housing budget and welfare benefits, which will drive poor people out of their homes, increase homelessness and make council housing support services unmanageable. We will be turning a branch of Natwest into a home and creating a space for people with housing problems to support each other.

RBS and Natwest must pay for the crisis they caused.
Join us and let's stop the cuts!

This protest is organised by people from Haringey Housing Action Group as part of a UK Uncut national day of action. See www.ukuncut.org.uk

email: housingaction@haringey.org.uk for more information

Birmingham

Tomorrow, Sat 26th is the demonstration against the council cuts. There will also be a UKUncut Bail In at natwest and some occupations of banks and tax dodgers along the march route for the Birmingham Against the Cuts demonstration.

Assembles 12 noon, Birmingham Cathedral, march around the city centre and back to the cathedral for a rally. Speakers at the rally: Bishop of Birmingham, Lee Barron (CWU) someone from each of UCU, PCS and Unison (whose names I can't remember, and could look up easily enough but you can just click the link I'll drop in in a minute if you're interested), Caroline Johnson from Birmingham Against the Cuts (who is also one of the council unison reps) and someone from Disabled People Against the Cuts (Bob Findlay-williams?). There should also be a student speaker but thats not confirmed yet it seems.

www.birminghamagainstthecuts.wordpress.com

UKUncut action at 2:45 in Natwest, straight after the batc rally. Going to setup a big society job centre.. was hoping to have an empty jobs board but never got the time to build one and display boards turn out to be horrendously expensive (at least when you've got no time to search for cheap ones), so just going to have pretend JSA forms which are in the form of a pub quiz and hopefully get the chance to call out the questions.. decided to do this because one of the main thrusts of the council demo is the job cuts.
We'll be doing read-ins at shops along the route for the library funding cuts.

I'm looking forward to hearing the Bishop speak, I'm kind of curious, I'm not so interested in the union people, but the Bishop speaks from a different place and I'm curious.. plus hopefully it will draw some people to come tomorrow who wouldn't be interested in union events.

Then on Tuesday, the council meeting is on at 2pm, there will be a demo outside from 2pm-6pm, and I hope demonstrations inside (work means I can't make the afternoon - I expect to hear the gallery has been cleared and closed by the time I get there, I hope to hear the the council chamber has been occupied.

Some of us are thinking of setting up a more pro-active, non herirachical group that actually tries to do something. Any interested leeds folk on here get in touch.

Do it, do it, something of the kind has happened in Lewisham, even though the main anti-cuts group is actually pretty fluffy. Too fluffy perhaps...:D I reckon you can do some actions ok with three people, so if you have a few people, set up a group, put some info around etc. There's a uni in Leeds too right? Some of the students might help boost your numbers.

Lobby Brent Council's budget fixing meeting
MONDAY 28th FEBRUARY

Bring your placards and banners, bring your friends and your neighbours.
Be on the steps of Brent Town Hall
Forty Lane, Wembley HA9 9HD
From 6 pm.
TELL BRENT COUNCIL TO RESIST THE CONDEM CUTS!
Spread the word.
Please forward this email to everyone who will be affected by cuts to libraries, the Law Centre, Charteris Sports Centre, Voluntary services, children's centres, services for children with special needs, services for the elderly, services for people with disabilities &/or learning difficulties, parks, council workers who will lose their jobs, council workers who will have their pay cut, council workers whose working conditions will get worse, people with mental health problems whose services are being cut and rents are going up, young people whose youth centres are being closed or cut, people with allotments, people who need to bury their relatives ..........

They aren't either/or options though. Why should the councillors be able to take decisions that effect us all without the voice of the public making itself heard? We're not under any illusions that we can stop the cuts from happening by having a quiet word in the ear of the council leader. I agree unions/community group will be critical in terms of defending jobs and services.

What is the point of telling Brent Council to resist the cuts? Its the unions and the community who are key.

Don't think it's so black and white. Councils could for example take steps to clog up the central govt bureacracy with everything from FOI requests to legal challenges so as to prevent efficient administering of policy from the centre. If councillors take steps that result in Eric Pickles taking charge, they can then take the next step of joining the resistance to the whole idea of local administration by central government. The institutions we have - and that includes the unions - are unable to put up much in the way of resistance through 'proper' channels so we've got to get creative. Speaking of which, some people in Lewisham just made this vid using a fake yellow police appeal sign :D

Don't think it's so black and white. Councils could for example take steps to clog up the central govt bureacracy with everything from FOI requests to legal challenges so as to prevent efficient administering of policy from the centre. If councillors take steps that result in Eric Pickles taking charge, they can then take the next step of joining the resistance to the whole idea of local administration by central government. The institutions we have - and that includes the unions - are unable to put up much in the way of resistance through 'proper' channels so we've got to get creative. Speaking of which, some people in Lewisham just made this vid using a fake yellow police appeal sign :D

Councils could do a lot of things but tell me where this is likely. Labour haven't even a dented shield policy. Telling them to resist the cuts is just gesture politics.

As for 'creative resistance' where on earth do you get the notion that a) there is an appetite for refusing FOI requests/legal challanges as to prevent efficient administering of policy b) that the effiicient administration of policy rests on Council compliance and c) that any of the Councils are would want Pickles to take charge so that they can 'join the resistance'?

Isn't writing off councils just letting them off the hook though - they are making an active choice to push the cuts through. Even if the impact of protests is only in terms of consciousness raising, isn't it worth doing *as well as* building union/community links?

Brighton & Hove Thursday 3rd March, Lobby of Brighton Council Budget meeting. 3pm demo from Kings House, Grand Ave, 4pm Onwards at Brighton Town Hall.

Really important we get as many people down as possible to show the anger at the cuts, take the afternoon off bring banners and placards! Bring your friends! Support our councils workers jobs and the services they provide!

Birmingham
2pm tomorrow council budget meeting. Demo outside the council house from 2 to 6pm

I'm at work so I won't get there til after 4, if the public gallery isn't cleared and closed by the time I get there i'll be annoyed

Back
Top Bottom