Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Regional anti-cuts organising

Bristol 24 March.
Meet by fountains in the Centre for march/action. Ongoing protests today outside BRI.

(Just as North Bristol trust announce they're thinking of building a private clinic on the Southmead hospital site).

Birmingham - Communities Against The Cuts launches local election campaign:

http://birminghamagainstthecuts.wor...ities-against-the-cuts-launches-election-bid/

and

www.communitiesagainstthecuts.com

Formed from a really good local campaigning group, they are standing 2 candidates in Kings Norton and Bournville Wards. They've done some great work in these wards - preventing the closure of a disabled children's respite home, working on the successful campaign to stop Bournville School becoming an academy, getting continued funding for an OAP day care centre and their work on Merrishaw Day Nursery - which was closed, but is now to be re-opened following continued pressure.

They've been really visible as a campaign group, very active and with a broad spread of members - swp, sr and IWW members all outnumbered by unaffiliated people who have got involved because of the campaigns.. Chris Hughes who is standing in Kings Norton is one of the parents at Charles House, the children's home that was saved - he got involved with the campaign when the closure was announced and Stirchley and Cotteridge Against The Cuts went to the home and contacted parents and staff and asked if they wanted help to campaign against the closure.

I've no idea how well they will do - but despite a general lack of belief in electoral politics, I'll be helping them with this. I think they will get a fair amount of support at least, and it gives a really good opportunity/excuse to speak to people about cuts etc.
I can't see either of them winning, although Chris Hughes has the best chance - a resident in the ward his whole life (38 years), a good speaker, involved with local politics and community groups like friends of Kings Norton park and directly affected by cuts etc.

Bit of international stuff:

Italian museum burns artworks in protest at cuts

A museum in Italy has started burning its artworks in protest at budget cuts which it says have left cultural institutions out of pocket.
Antonio Manfredi, of the Casoria Contemporary Art Museum in Naples, set fire to the first painting on Tuesday.

"Our 1,000 artworks are headed for destruction anyway because of the government's indifference," he said.

that's a bit harsh (unless it was by damien hirst) if he wants to burn something why not burn Napolitano or whatever his name is?

http://birminghamagainstthecuts.wor...ncil-budget-cuts-nearly-double-to-120million/

An additional £50m of cuts to next years budget has been announced in Birmingham.. by 2017 the council here will have lost 50% of their discretionary spending budget. 1,000+ more jobs to go.

We're going to hold a demonstration on the Autumn Statement day, 5th December, but I think the local council cuts will also be a big issue for that demo, even though they probably won't be part of the autumn statement though Albert Bore (leader of the Labour group here), though this is apparently extra cuts from central government grants so maybe they will be announced then. He said it's the "beginning of the end of local government as we know it", I don't know if similar extra cuts are being made elsewhere though.

Back
Top Bottom