Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Refugee crisis. Something on the scale of the Marshall plan required?

Nah I like it here, there's a great community.

Good for you - I'm pleased you like it there. Personally I wouldn't, because I'm noise-sensitive. Oh, and just to prove how wrong accusations of my perceived 'racism' are, I wouldn't want to live within the sound of church bells either. So it isn't a question of 'race', rather of 'religion'??

So am I, and it's very quiet. There used to be a lot of noise from planes coming in to Heathrow, but the flight paths were changed after 9/11.

FWIW before moving here, I lived around the corner from a mosque and a quarter of a mile from two churches. I'll give you one guess about which disturbed my mornings and evenings more.

Clue for the slow of thinking: The steady stream of people in and out of the mosque wasn't a problem, nor was their parking (many lived within walking distance), nor was the muezzin noticeable. Church bells before and after services, also practised on by visiting groups almost every week (for at least a couple of hours at a time) became a little tiresome.

FWIW before moving here, I lived around the corner from a mosque and a quarter of a mile from two churches. I'll give you one guess about which disturbed my mornings and evenings more.

Clue for the slow of thinking: The steady stream of people in and out of the mosque wasn't a problem, nor was their parking (many lived within walking distance), nor was the muezzin noticeable. Church bells before and after services, also practised on by visiting groups almost every week (for at least a couple of hours at a time) became a little tiresome.

If it wasn't noticeable WTF do it then?

If it wasn't noticeable WTF do it then?
Presumably for similar reasons that some people wear religious symbols very discreetly (eg under their clothing); sometimes it's enough for you to know that you do it.

Overt gestures tend to be more of a defensive thing, people secure in their own identity don't need them.

The good old days of the second world war, when there was no extreme islam on the warpath!:facepalm:

In any case loads of Jewish and other refugees did get locked up in camps before being let in the UK.

Presumably for similar reasons that some people wear religious symbols very discreetly (eg under their clothing); sometimes it's enough for you to know that you do it.

Overt gestures tend to be more of a defensive thing, people secure in their own identity don't need them.

Oh well, that's jesus-freaks for you!

The good old days of the second world war, when there was no extreme islam on the warpath!:facepalm:

In any case loads of Jewish and other refugees did get locked up in camps before being let in the UK.

I've a feeling I'm going to regret asking this but . . . What??

<snip> In any case loads of Jewish and other refugees did get locked up in camps before being let in the UK.
To our collective shame, some were even locked up in camps (or required to report to the police every day) after arrival as refugees, because they were classed as "enemy aliens".

I thought this was appropriate.

wpid-1441939872788.jpg

I have never heard a call to prayer from any mosque in London, and there are three quite near where I live.
Or church bells.

I used to hear the muezzin when Greebo lived in Watford, but that was because she lived all of 30 metres from Watford Mosque.

I used to hear the muezzin when Greebo lived in Watford, but that was because she lived all of 30 metres from Watford Mosque.

I loved to hear the call to prayer from Kingsland Road Mosque in Hackney...I lived just the other side of the canal in Haggerston. It was/still is beautiful. :)

I loved to hear the call to prayer from Kingsland Road Mosque in Hackney...I lived just the other side of the canal in Haggerston. It was/still is beautiful. :)

Agreed.
Last time I was talking to my dad about the refugee crisis, he reminded me that for many of his generation, the first time they heard the call to prayer was on Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir". Nowadays, for most people in urban settings, it's so absolutely normal that we often tune it out in the same way we tune out church bells.

Agreed.
Last time I was talking to my dad about the refugee crisis, he reminded me that for many of his generation, the first time they heard the call to prayer was on Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir". Nowadays, for most people in urban settings, it's so absolutely normal that we often tune it out in the same way we tune out church bells.

Apart from the fact I have always been into world folk music and love traditional Arabic styles and fusion, it just added to the beauty of my local audio fauna...it used to drift on the breeze over the canal along with the laughing, squealing of kids at Laburnam boat club, the vroom of passing cars, the rustling of leaves, the local church bells etc.

My eldest brother sings the call to prayer at his mosque in Banjul. The first time I heard him, I cried. He has a great voice, always has done and has been a singer in all kinds of different bands/settings over the years, but this was something else...very moving. :)

Back
Top Bottom