Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend a fastish estate

indeed- the Mondys are incredibly well priced, been looking through them today. not at all sexy though

More interesting then some Audis. :p

Seriously though I rather liked my Mondeo until the unfortunate incident with a wall. The 3 series was the right place at the right time after, but I'd have another Ford in a shot. I could actually lay out straight in it as well with all the stuff to one side, but only had to do it a few times.

Ah, I meant to look at rather than to drive full stop. The A4 screams bland and I don't think the styling on the latest Mondeos is bad. Obviously they don't have the performance models, but I enjoyed driving mine almost as much as my 3 Series.

Ah, I meant to look at rather than to drive full stop. The A4 screams bland and I don't think the styling on the latest Mondeos is bad. Obviously they don't have the performance models, but I enjoyed driving mine almost as much as my 3 Series.

I settled for a Mondeo - I burn most people off at junctions, it's tows well, it's sits happily at 100 on the motorway, it's feels good hammering down country lanes.

It's not as fast on the acceleration as the Audi, the 530 or the Merc I tested, and it's not quite as luxurious - but it's good enough/fine for what I want a car to do (30k a year, kids, dogs, goat...), and I really enjoyed being able to put the £20k in cash that I saved on the mortgage.

The German cars are undoubtedly better cars - better performance, better comfort, probably better build quality - but for my money they aren't anything like the 50 to 100% better that the price would suggest...

I went in a newish BMW recently that was horribly uncomfortable and rattled like hell. Was getting the inevitable BMW rear bumper droop, too. Not really sure if German cars are any better built than a Kia anymore. Think it's all memories from the old days...

Shut it, Mondeo man :facepalm:

The A4 screams AWESOME, everyone knows that. Particularly the latest Avant S-line obvs :thumbs:

It doesn't punch you in the face like Bahnhof Strasse's turbo Surrey kuntwagen, it's more a gentleman's stylish and understated street sleeper.

Last edited:
I'll remind you gentleman that James Bond drove a Mondeo shortly before, err... having dinner with one of the most beautiful women ever to walk the face of the earth.

Not an Audi.

This, of course, is perfectly normal for us Mondeo driving sex gods...

Alan's car history to the best of my knowledge:

Rover 800
Rover 200
Lexus LS200
Vauxhall Insignia
Kia Optima
3rd Gen Range Rover
Series III Defender

That's a shit line up in anyone's book.
I had an 800 years ago. I liked it a lot, a very comfortable cruiser. I got 85 in second from it. Not for very long though. Nice car while it lasted.

Can anyone tell me exactly what an angle sensor does? Mine needs replacing. Luckily it's not much more then I've spent, but after spending almost a grand on mine of which a good chunk was on the suspension it still doesn't feel "right". A lot lot better, but slightly jumpy in the outside lane of the motorway if that makes sense?

I see on auto trader I could have got a similar age and mileage of mine from about £1600 onwards :hmm:

Can anyone tell me exactly what an angle sensor does? Mine needs replacing. Luckily it's not much more then I've spent, but after spending almost a grand on mine of which a good chunk was on the suspension it still doesn't feel "right". A lot lot better, but slightly jumpy in the outside lane of the motorway if that makes sense?

I see on auto trader I could have got a similar age and mileage of mine from about £1600 onwards :hmm:

Might be a crank angle sensor, which detects the position of the engine crank shaft to permit ignition and combustion. Not uncommon for them to go.

Suspension....what did you have replaced? Many things can cause or contribute to poor or twitchy handling. What did you have done? Have you had the alignment done after the suspension work? Tyre pressures OK?

Oh yeah. When you look at those other cars just remember they all probably need work...

Last edited:
Might be a crank angle sensor, which detects the position of the engine crank shaft to permit ignition and combustion. Not uncommon for them to go.

Suspension....what did you have replaced? Many things can cause or contribute to poor or twitchy handling. What did you have done? Have you had the alignment done after the suspension work? Tyre pressures OK?

Oh yeah. When you look at those other cars just remember they all probably need work...

Thanks. That could make sense. Tyre pressure ok. Had two new ones on top of epic bill.

This is what I had done...
20170906_181520.jpg

After having the front arms and rear bushes done a four wheel alignment is highly recommended (at a decent place with a Hunter machine or similar.) Chances are the camber/castor/toe will be out of spec up front and rear. It might be just the toe that is out causing things like twitchiness and tramlining.

Heresy perhaps, but I've spent the last few days driving a 2017 1.6 diesel Astra estate - it was quick, fun to drive, quiet - even at 90+ - and very, very comfortable...

Pretty practical as well - decent sized boot for four big rucksacks and reasonable legroom in the back for two blokes.

Did about 600 miles throughout Wales and the Marches on motorways, fast A roads, windy B roads, and because someone (not me..) can't map read, some where-the-fuck-are-we? No-fucking-clue-its-not-on-the-fucking-map! roads...

Nothing broke.

Back
Top Bottom