Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend a fastish estate

Thanks I've just ordered one as well. My 320i estate needs to have an eye kept on it, the yellow oil light comes on for a minute or so when starting up.

If you have changed the oil apparently this can be reset without one. Came across the instructions to do so when googling about how to use the OBD reader.

Also found out that's its likely I don't have a faulty air age, but over time moving the seat back and forth dislodgeds a cable so it reports such. :)

That kind of thing is common.

I can only tell you about my late Alfa but some lessons may (or may not) apply. Early cars, the airbag faults would persist until cleared by intervention. Later cars, the fault would self-clear once the condition stopped. It's helpful to know which behaviour it has.

Most of them were intermittent wiring connections, usually solvable with contact cleaner and duct tape. It's advisable to disconnect the battery and wait an hour before doing any airbag-related fiddling. Airbag wiring was always yellow.

You also needed more bespoke software on a laptop (ie. not Torque) and a crossover cable to talk to the airbag controller.

If you have changed the oil apparently this can be reset without one. Came across the instructions to do so when googling about how to use the OBD reader.

Also found out that's its likely I don't have a faulty air age, but over time moving the seat back and forth dislodgeds a cable so it reports such. :)

Thanks. I have the same air bag problem. friendly garage got me through the last MOT. I shall now work demon magic on car and get many years of driveage on my £1000 beemer. :D

If you use iOs what is your recommendation?

That kind of thing is common.

I can only tell you about my late Alfa but some lessons may (or may not) apply. Early cars, the airbag faults would persist until cleared by intervention. Later cars, the fault would self-clear once the condition stopped. It's helpful to know which behaviour it has.

Most of them were intermittent wiring connections, usually solvable with contact cleaner and duct tape. It's advisable to disconnect the battery and wait an hour before doing any airbag-related fiddling. Airbag wiring was always yellow.

You also needed more bespoke software on a laptop (ie. not Torque) and a crossover cable to talk to the airbag controller.

Yeah that's getting beyond me. It's more to know what I'm asking the garage to fix. The joy of bangernomics. I'll have a poke around and if I can't do it and it's not cheap I'll live with it. Guessing the same applies to my traction control.

If you use iOs what is your recommendation?

No idea. I've not even got the thing yet. It's more to give an idea on what I can budget to fix and what I can live with.

Nice car though still despite it all. Returns a constant 46 plus MPG and I still get to overtake like a banshee when going up hill.

A silly part of me thinks when I've had a big service that it would be amusing to have a blufin when cash flow allows.

Last edited:
So I got the OBD reader mauvais suggested. Talks to torque nicely.

Comes up as

Type Powertrain - Auxiliary Emission Controls - ISO/SAE Controlled
Description
Exhaust Gas Recirculation "A" Flow Insufficient Detected

Which doest leave me loads wiser if I'm honest. But am glad it's just one fault. Cleared it just to see what happened and as I suspected it came on shortly afterwards. Which is what my mechanic has obviously been doing. He suggested I need new glow plugs though. :hmm:

Yeah I tried mine yesterday and it works beautifully. Just need to find a decent app that doesn't charge me a load of money for the "premium" version.

Thanks mauvais. :)

Comes up as

Which doest leave me loads wiser if I'm honest. But am glad it's just one fault. Cleared it just to see what happened and as I suspected it came on shortly afterwards. Which is what my mechanic has obviously been doing. He suggested I need new glow plugs though. :hmm:
EGR is a pollution control measure - does what it says in order to reduce emissions. From the sound of it, if the value can be trusted anyway, yours is underperforming. If you or the previous owner hasn't had it blocked off or anything, it might need a clean of the various components involved.

Comes up as

Glow plugs just sounds like the first expensive yet easy job that came into his head I reckon.

Do an EGR delete.

Had someone nicked it and used it as a car bomb?

Drive it like you stole it. :hmm:

I was a complete tit. When the traction control light and break light came on at the same time I thought it was electronic shenanigans. Brakes started making noises a few weeks back and I was working in rural Wales so couldn't get it. Hence me completely knackering that part. Including the tire!

I swear I'd never heard of half those parts. I'm still not totally sure what an angle sensor does other then making the traction control light go off.

i ned new wheels / estate when i get back from an overseas trip - thinking about a mondy or a BMW 520/40 or so - I can get a matress in the back for when i go to europe pissing about. Any comments of the BMWs? I like merc but have concersn about niggles with them of the vintage I would be looking at ( 10 years) and love Volvos but same quality control stuff with them I am not happy about. No Audi. Ever

i ned new wheels / estate when i get back from an overseas trip - thinking about a mondy or a BMW 520/40 or so - I can get a matress in the back for when i go to europe pissing about. Any comments of the BMWs? I like merc but have concersn about niggles with them of the vintage I would be looking at ( 10 years) and love Volvos but same quality control stuff with them I am not happy about. No Audi. Ever

You'll get a much newer lower mileage Mondy for the same money, but BMWs are nice.

Back
Top Bottom