Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend a fastish estate

What flavor is yours? I do think Ford miss a trick by not offering a bigger diesel to compete a bit more with the Germans.

Mines the 2l diesel estate - the 140bhp zetec.

Tbh, I think the big hole in the market that ford have ignored is an AWD version like the quattro or Octavia scout. That's the only reason I went for the Octavia after the first Mondeo - had there been an AWD version I would have just walked into a ford garage with a bag of used fifty's...

I was able to sleep fully out stretched in the back of mine with out laying diagonal. I accept this is not a useful requirement to many. I also suspect that I drive slightly older cars then most on this thread.

Bloody traction control warning lights have been coming on in the BMW last few days. That's on top of the engine management light which I've been told means new glow plugs. Suspect it will be a world of pain to sort out. Still drives like a fucking dream though. :cool:

ODB2 scanners are cheap enough, get one and see what's really going on with it. The Peake ones can also clear BMW specific codes.

John Hervey 7th Marquess of Bristol was pretty fast and loose with the Ickworth Estate, meaning his son lost his right to reside there:

The National Trust were unimpressed with the Marquess' behaviour, including dangerous driving around the estate and lack of control over his wolfhounds. They attempted to evict him from Ickworth House in 1994[12] but withdrew the threat because of the Marquess' ill health.[4] In turn, the Marquess was upset about having to share Ickworth House with public visitors to the gardens; he fired a shotgun repeatedly into the air, shouting "fucking peasants, fucking National Trust!" at people

Mines the 2l diesel estate - the 140bhp zetec.

Tbh, I think the big hole in the market that ford have ignored is an AWD version like the quattro or Octavia scout. That's the only reason I went for the Octavia after the first Mondeo - had there been an AWD version I would have just walked into a ford garage with a bag of used fifty's...

Get back down there, there's been AWD Mondeos available since 2014!

ODB2 scanners are cheap enough, get one and see what's really going on with it. The Peake ones can also clear BMW specific codes.

Not a terrible idea I guess, I shall see how much I can get one for.

Suspect that's all the garage has done regarding the glow plug lights. First time he just turned it off for me, but it came on miles later after driving away.

If the traction control light is not currently on though would the OBD reader detect anything? :confused:

Not a terrible idea I guess, I shall see how much I can get one for.

Suspect that's all the garage has done regarding the glow plug lights. First time he just turned it off for me, but it came on miles later after driving away.

If the traction control light is not currently on though would the OBD reader detect anything? :confused:
Do you have an Android phone?

ELM327 WiFi OBD2 Car Diagnostics Scanner Code Reader for iPhone iOS AND Android | eBay

and this:

Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) – Android Apps on Google Play

If you're on iPhone, I think you need Wi-Fi kit instead of Bluetooth.

Fault codes are generally stored until they're wiped.

Do you have an Android phone?

ELM327 WiFi OBD2 Car Diagnostics Scanner Code Reader for iPhone iOS AND Android | eBay

and this:

Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) – Android Apps on Google Play

If you're on iPhone, I think you need Wi-Fi kit instead of Bluetooth.

Fault codes are generally stored until they're wiped.

Finally got round to ordering one. It's like an Xmas tree at the moment, engine management, airbag, traction control and sometimes the ones saying the lights aren't working (they are)

Let us know if you get anything from it.

Yeah will do. I do trust my mechanic, but he's in Northampton and as he does me very good rates, understandbly my car is often at the back of line so if I take it for 5 things only 3 may get done.

Is it bad I'm already thinking of the next one? I do like the BMW but despite it being an estate I find it on the small side at times.

Well, there is something to be said for that era of car. They tend to drive well, prior to the introduction of overly intrusive assistance. They tend to be reliable in terms of not having extensive environmental controls and the associated complexity, ditto the electronics. So they tend to be quite 'knowable' and can be maintained indefinitely. I miss my Alfa on this basis.

That begs the question of what would you replace it with, other than something much younger, and whether you'd be disappointed at some point based on the above. Quite possibly not.

Also, whilst proper mechanicals have never been my cup of tea, electronics like bulb warnings etc tend to be the sort of thing you can at least investigate yourself using some combination of the internet, a multimeter, eBay replacement parts and a bit of DIY.

keep reading thread title as 'recommend me a fascist state'
I keep reading it as "fascist estate" and wanting to go on a search for the most fascist member of the upper classes with the biggest estate. Surely there should be a ranking page on Wikipedia.

"Lord Percival de Montford-Guisset owns 45,000 acres of Hertfordshire, owns the largest swastika collection in Western Europe, and in 2009 was briefly detained for chasing a Jewish tenant with a shotgun whilst shouting about bankers. No charges were forthcoming."

I keep reading it as "fascist estate" and wanting to go on a search for the most fascist member of the upper classes with the biggest estate. Surely there should be a ranking page on Wikipedia.

"Lord Percival de Montford-Guisset owns 45,000 acres of Hertfordshire, owns the largest swastika collection in Western Europe, and in 2009 was briefly detained for chasing a Jewish tenant with a shotgun whilst shouting about bankers. No charges were forthcoming."

I believe that both Bahnhof Strasse and twentythreedom are owners of fascist estates, the Nazi bastards! :mad:

Just been reading that Alfa has cancelled their plans for a Giulia estate because: With our fine-tuning, the Stelvio can capture all the people who would otherwise have been interested in the SW.

Well fuck that, I don't want an SUV, but would like to be able to transport the dog. Audi, BMW or Mercedes it is then.

Hatch back :eek::mad: Good grief. A corsa was a hatch back whereas my little baby, which I have little to put in it, is a coupe or at a stretch, a grand tourer.

Well, there is something to be said for that era of car. They tend to drive well, prior to the introduction of overly intrusive assistance. They tend to be reliable in terms of not having extensive environmental controls and the associated complexity, ditto the electronics. So they tend to be quite 'knowable' and can be maintained indefinitely. I miss my Alfa on this basis.

That begs the question of what would you replace it with, other than something much younger, and whether you'd be disappointed at some point based on the above. Quite possibly not.

Also, whilst proper mechanicals have never been my cup of tea, electronics like bulb warnings etc tend to be the sort of thing you can at least investigate yourself using some combination of the internet, a multimeter, eBay replacement parts and a bit of DIY.

I've just worked out I've done 18k miles since last June. Which isn't stupid millage, but a fair bit more then I've done in past.

Looked around a fair bit and maybe another Mondeo, but the newer model. Very well reviewed. Ideally no older then 7 years and sub 70k on the clock.

Problem is I don't really want to loose much performance moving from the 3 series. Some of the 2.0L just cut it, but ideally 2.2, but there are far fewer about. It's a bit of a pain looking for the 2.0L ones on Auto Trader as they seem to have a massive range of acceleration and it's not immediately clear when you look at them.

However I've got to spend a bit of money on mine either way, so probably use it through winter when I do less miles (and earn less).

Back
Top Bottom