Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rape, sexual assault and harassment in the entertainment industry

It's been pointed out that TV show 30 Rock made an explicit reference to Weinstein in 2012 when Jenna Maroney said :
‘Oh please, I’m not afraid of anyone in show business, I turned down intercourse with Harvey Weinstein on no less than three occasions… out of five.’

He's apparently flown to Europe to go to a sex addiction rehab center, which will probably be part of an effort to portray himself as a troubled victim of psychological flaws instead of a vile predator.

Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up deciding to crash on Roman Polanski's sofa instead of returning to the US.

Just realised that the Peter Biskin book mentioned in this Vice article: The Awful Things Harvey Weinstein Allegedly Did at Miramax was read by the Urban75 bookgroup 12 years ago - I was wondering where I had heard this about him before and couldn't account the internet for it.

Yes, I was going to mention Biskind's book which was published in 2004. It paints Weinstein as a monster and since he presumably didn't sue...

Must re-read it but can't remember it specifically mentioning sexual assualt/abuse though -- maybe he couldn't get anyone to go on the record about it.

I can't help but wonder whether his wife is leaving him because she now knows out about all his sexual crimes, or because everyone else now knows...:hmm:

Given that, by all accounts, it was an open secret within Hollywood, it would seem rather surprising that his own wife was oblivious.

Unfortunately, this isn't up to people like us.

You'll find it actually is. Those who would support him require our continuing financial support as we buy their products, support their carerrs etc... Weinstein is broken, gone too far, irredeemable... The pressure for him to disappear from public life is overwhelming, and there is no public life without a public to support it.

The fallout from this is contagious, DKNY is now subject to a boycott after her fucking stupid interjections. He is more toast than a toasted toastie.

I can’t help but wonder whether this sort of deflection away from the actual perpetrator is designed to lessen the gravity of his actions and to shift the blame on to women.
How is it deflection? He's a sexual predator who deserves to be behind bars. Anyone who was aware of his actions bares a burden of guilt for not acting. How many times did his wife know, or suspect that he was preying on vulnerable women? He is the monster here, not her, but if she knew, she should be ashamed.

Last edited:
You'll find it actually is. Those who would support him require our continuing financial support as we buy their products, support their carerrs etc... Weinstein is broken, gone too far, irredeemable... The pressure for him to disappear from public life is overwhelming, and there is no public life without a public to support it.

The fallout from this is contagious, DKNY is now subject to a boycott after her fucking stupid interjections. He is more toast than a toasted toastie.

Well, I hope you're right.

Incidentally, regarding Weinstein flying to Europe to seek "rehab", didn't Polanski do something like this to avoid charges and never came back?

Well, I hope you're right.

Incidentally, regarding Weinstein flying to Europe to seek "rehab", didn't Polanski do something like this to avoid charges and never came back?

I really think so. Second tier players are now trying to avoid guilt by association, your Clooneys and your Matt Damons. Once that starts the whole house of cards comes tumbling down. He's tainted in a peedo style. Even his "apology" is getting ripped to shreds! "We were allowed to rape our women in the olden days, my how things have changed..."

How is it deflection? He's a sexual predator who deserves to be behind bars. Anyone who was aware of his actions bares a burden of guilt for not acting. How many times did his wife know, or suspect that he was preying on vulnerable women? He is the monster here, not her, but if she knew, she should be ashamed.
It’s pure speculation on your part and moves the debate away from Weinstein and the power structures in which he, and Hollywood generally, operates.

Unfortunately, this isn't up to people like us.

Their willingness to forgive and 'reform' rapists, wife beaters and all sorts of other despicable types doesn't give me any faith we won't see this sack of shit crying on Oprah in a few years.

I would be very careful before deciding the wife of a serial sex beast bears any guilt for his actions. She's almost certainly a victim herself.

It’s pure speculation on your part and moves the debate away from Weinstein and the power structures in which he, and Hollywood generally, operates.
I raised the issue because the debate is becoming increasingly focused on who knew what, who spoke out & who remained silent. That culture of not exposing the sexual crimes of rich & powerful men is very much a part of the power structures you mentioned.

If she did not know what was going on, then yes, you are right.

You've no idea the pressures she might have been under . The guys an aggressive bully , she has 2 kids . Life's rarely that black and white . Many women ...and men..remain in abusive relationships despite everyone they know telling them to get out . Abusers often have a hold over others . Even some of his victims retained relations with him . It's not always that simple .

Eta

I hope she takes him to the fucking cleaners

You've no idea the pressures she might have been under . The guys an aggressive bully , she has 2 kids . Life's rarely that black and white . Many women ...and men..remain in abusive relationships despite everyone they know telling them to get out . Abusers often have a hold over others . Even some of his victims retained relations with him . It's not always that simple .

Some of his victims felt guilty for being victims! It's not straightforward at all.

There was an Aussie actress on Vicky D this morning, who gave a chilling account of her experience.. And she admitted she wanted to hit herself over the head for feeling sorry for Weinstein after he cried and said he was being rejected because he was fat.

That's her humanity and empathy coming to the fore, and the lowlife has even manipulated that to his advantage.

Back
Top Bottom