Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Public catch robber in Shepherd's Bush.

Robbing a high street jewellers with metal bars isn't "giving it to the man". It is terrorising normal people going about their daily lives and deserves the proportionate response received in these videos.

are you responding to a 'giving it to the man' straw man here by any chance, or did someone post that and I missed it ?

All three of them most likely have had troubled childhoods, relationship issues and see prison as an occupational risk.

All three of them most likely have had troubled childhoods, relationship issues and see prison as an occupational risk.

I'm sorry but I'm sick of hearing this crapology.
LOTS of people grow up in troubled homes, have had relationship issues etc...and don't turn to crime.

It's an insult to the many people who had rough childhoods, to blame criminals' "childhoods", for their own completely adult choices. The guy arrested was in his 30s ffs. He knew exactly what he was doing.....why blame his parents for his very adult actions?

Last edited:
LOTS of people grow up in troubled homes, have had relationship issues etc...and don't turn to crime.

It's an insult to the many people who had rough childhoods, to blame criminals' "childhoods", for their own completely adult choices. The guy arrested was in his 30s ffs. He knew exactly what he was doing.....why blame his parents for his very adult actions?

Good point. Still not happy with the beating he got. Enough of that kind of thing back home...

Yep, and the self-appointed guardians of communities. Obviously, I'm not defending the perps in London or back home, but am not a huge fan of the instant or premeditated justice, either.

Of course....but in this case it was not premeditated justice, surely?
They apprehended a robber. Two guys came along and got a few kicks in...after the apprehension...another guy stopped that...and then the police arrested the robber.

I've seen worse kickings on a playground unfirtunately.

They apprehended a robber. Two guys came along and got a few kicks in...after the apprehension...another guy stopped that...and then the police arrested the robber.

When I say premeditated, I mean the self-appointed guardians etc, as opposed to the opportunists in SB. No, this was people getting a fair few kicks in. I do understand it, and the frustration involved. Just couldn't applaud it, though.

meted out to teachers?

ACES and criminality have quite strong links Lupa. Not the same as blaming parents. From what I understand Scotland has been a bit more forward with using the evidence to inform prevention Understanding childhood adversity, resilience and crime - gov.scot

The above summary points out: ' Evidence does not prove causality. Not all children who experience multiple ACEs become victims or perpetrators of violence in adulthood, but they are statistically more likely to than people with no ACEs.'

Surely it’s both possible to hold in our mind an ability to empathise with people that their life circumstances may lead them to struggle to engage in ‘normal’ behaviour whilst at the same time recognising that if people hurt other people, we need to hold them accountable for it and they have to take responsibility.

ACES and criminality have quite strong links Lupa. Not the same as blaming parents. From what I understand Scotland has been a bit more forward with using the evidence to inform prevention Understanding childhood adversity, resilience and crime - gov.scot

The above summary points out: ' Evidence does not prove causality. Not all children who experience multiple ACEs become victims or perpetrators of violence in adulthood, but they are statistically more likely to than people with no ACEs.'

This is another discussion though. Implying that these particular robbers have ACEs is a huge jump. And even if they do, it does not excuse their actions surely?

This is another discussion though. Implying that these particular robbers have ACEs is a huge jump. And even if they do, it does not excuse their actions surely?
The point is this: do you want to try to prevent crime from happening in the most effective way possible or do you just want to take revenge on those who have perpetrated it?

Surely it’s both possible to hold in our mind an ability to empathise with people that their life circumstances may lead them to struggle to engage in ‘normal’ behaviour whilst at the same time recognising that if people hurt other people, we need to hold them accountable for it and they have to take responsibility.

I have great empathy...with children and teens who have had adverse childhood experiences. I have worked with them for 22 yrs.

It is just too easy to say

...which was what I was responding to in my previous post.

The point is this: do you want to try to prevent crime from happening in the most effective way possible or do you just want to take revenge on those who have perpetrated it?

Eh?
I was not talking about revenge ... I was talking about personal responsibility.

In what way is it a different discussion? I was responding to your comments about suggestions of links between adverse childhood experiences and adult criminality. You called it crapology.

I haven't said anything about these particular people.

In what way is it a different discussion? I was responding to your comments about suggestions of links between adverse childhood experiences and adult criminality. You called it crapology.

I haven't said anything about these particular people.

I responded to this.

I'm just tired of the assumption that a difficult childhood is automatically a road to criminality and prison. That's all. I know plenty really solid kids who grew up in rough difficilt circumstances. They need to be seen as people with a future that doesnt automatically assume criminality.

I responded to this.

I'm just tired of the assumption that a difficult childhood is automatically a road to criminality and prison. That's all. I know plenty really solid kids who grew up in rough difficilt circumstances. They need to be seen as people with a future that doesnt automatically assume criminality.

Perhaps when some people post here about these subjects they're not posting from an assumption but a position of some knowledge and experience. Seems like you're arguing with a media narrative about these young people rather than with people who may actually work with them too.

I do think there are questions about criminality and class to be asked - ACEs is concerned with the kind of crime and antisocial behaviour that results in people ending up in prison, not the kind of antisocial behaviour that might result in successful careers in politics and business.

i can't remember the last time I had dealings with a cop who was older than me and didn't look like one of my nephew's mates. i'm old.
I went into tesco the other day and there were two young women in police uniforms there. They looked about 12 so I assumed they were school kids in fancy dress till I heard their radios go off.

They still didn't see the chocolate I nicked which is a good job cos I'd probably have had a mob start on me and certain posters masturbating over it :(

Back
Top Bottom