Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Public catch robber in Shepherd's Bush.

What level of injury to the man on the ground is acceptable, then? Bruising? Broken bones? Brain damage? Spinal damage? Never being able to walk again? Never being able to feed himself?

How are you going to ensure that, wherever your line of acceptability is, it doesn’t get crossed? After all, a pile of people coming in and just kicking wherever they can kick have no way of really knowing what the consequence will end up being.

Perhaps it could be incumbent for all would-be smash and grab thieves to adhere to some possible future guidelines of health and safety, including protective headwear, knee and shin pads etc?

From my pov the violence was ugly and inherently bad, violence pretty much always is, sometime's it's necessary though. This time? I'd say it probably was. The robbers initiated the violence when they smashed their way in and threatened people. Even if they didn't smack them around that's still going to stick with the people working, the people passing and the people who live in the area. And knowing that the community around you will react to that is definitely better than knowing they'll just stand by extolling the moral virtues of their non-violent beliefs and explaining how capitalism is the real evil here.

That said people who watch a video like that and cheer it on are wrong'uns too. Violence can sometimes be necessary but if you get a kick from watching someone getting kicked on the ground then either you've never seen it happen or you're the type of person who gets a thrill from it whether it's necessary or not.

From my pov the violence was ugly and inherently bad, violence pretty much always is, sometime's it's necessary though. This time? I'd say it probably was. The robbers initiated the violence when they smashed their way in and threatened people. Even if they didn't smack them around that's still going to stick with the people working, the people passing and the people who live in the area. And knowing that the community around you will react to that is definitely better than knowing they'll just stand by extolling the moral virtues of their non-violent beliefs and explaining how capitalism is the real evil here.

That said people who watch a video like that and cheer it on are wrong'uns too. Violence can sometimes be necessary but if you get a kick from watching someone getting kicked on the ground then either you've never seen it happen or you're the type of person who gets a thrill from it whether it's necessary or not.

Context is everything.

Is anyone saying they get a thrill from watching people kicked on the ground? Seems a bit strawman to me

Managed to be on both sides of this the only time I got involved in something similar. Was on train to Woolwich Dockyard and some bloke nicked a woman's bag. me and a couple of others chased and caught him on the foot bridge, got him down then I had to spend the next few minutes stopping the others kicking the shit out him or chucking him off.

Is anyone saying they get a thrill from watching people kicked on the ground? Seems a bit strawman to me

Go on YouTube, there are tens of thousands of videos for people to cheer on a good kicking. Not every comment is geared towards arguing with people on Urban.

restrain the bloke ok
put a few dig-ins when he's down not ok but human nature and has to be trained out of people.
gets confusing when the blokes down restrained but not compliant.
As for the robbery, stuff can be replaced true people not so much you don't have to be hurt to have a violent robbery fuck you up mentally.
Prisons full of poor sods who never had a chance
Unfortunately, a bad beginning and poor decisions may explain your actions but it doesn't remove the harm you've done to others.
Prisons far from effective it may if the stars align get you on the right courses so you come out changed for the better but don't hold your breath.
it does give your community a short break from your behavior.

restrain the bloke ok
put a few dig-ins when he's down not ok but human nature and has to be trained out of people.
gets confusing when the blokes down restrained but not compliant.
As for the robbery, stuff can be replaced true people not so much you don't have to be hurt to have a violent robbery fuck you up mentally.
Prisons full of poor sods who never had a chance
Unfortunately, a bad beginning and poor decisions may explain your actions but it doesn't remove the harm you've done to others.
Prisons far from effective it may if the stars align get you on the right courses so you come out changed for the better but don't hold your breath.
it does give your community a short break from your behavior.
With a bit more punctuation that would sum up my feelings precisely.

With a bit more punctuation that would sum up my feelings precisely.
Depending on his age he is going down for six years or so-there were enough bystanders there to restrain him until police arrived without kicking him in the spine etc.

That's a bit of an over reaction. A spellchecker and a bit of help with paragraphing and punctuation would be more appropriate.
Presumably you mean that you don't think the culprit is likely to get a long prison sentence-I think you are mistaken.

I'm not actually sure that the actions of the public went significantly beyond the force necessary to restrain him (into a punishment beating). He was a potentially very dangerous member of an armed gang; it was necessary to subdue him quickly, as he might have had, say, a knife in his waistband. And even if one or two did go a little further than it appears absolutely necessary to us (with the benefit of distance and hindsight) I don't think it's reasonable to criticise - you can't expect untrained people in a dangerous situation to weight things to perfection. And we should remember that the robber made that situation. One in which their actions may have lifelong consequences for the workers they terrified.

I agree. Looks like completely reasonable force in the circumstances. Particularly due to the fact he appeared to attempt to get up and escape. Members of the public don't know whether someone is armed with either a knife or gun in these circumstances and it is perfectly reasonable to attempt to incapacitate them in order to prevent further harm or risk to others. Obviously if someone is unconscious the blows should stop and I agree the gentleman with glasses made the correct move in calling others off. Which was immediately complied with. This was not a mob beating or lynching. It was an appropriate use of collective physical force in the face of a violent robbery. All involved should be commended and I would hope in similar circumstances I would act in the same way.

Yeah, the best way to deal with someone trying to escape from a mob kicking is to keep kicking them. Until they are unconscious. Then maybe stop.

Minor thieves get a kicking and locked away. Meanwhile major criminals get bailed out. Both are shit. Both are a blight. Let's face it it's still within the parameters of Dickensian 'evil pickpocketer bad, even more evil factory owner beating children with bull's dicks - good - give him a knighthood' thinking.

Back
Top Bottom