Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Public catch robber in Shepherd's Bush.

If I saw from the start that it was a ram-raid on a jeweller's I would have stayed the fuck out of the way - no members of the public appeared to be at immediate risk, and I'm definitely not going to risk my life to protect the private property of some shop that probably has insurance anyway.

If all I saw was some kind of incident happening in the street, I probably would have gone up to see what was going on and if I could be of some assistance - I like to think I might have tried to calm things down like the guy in white, but maybe I would have just looked on, pretty sure I wouldn't have joined in the kicking though.

Business owners are insured. It's workers and the general public who are worst affected by this. If he'd escaped who knows what he'd have done next time - threatened a pregnant woman causing a miscarriage, given someone's Dad a heart attack, traumatised a kid, etc.

I've just noticed the lad say down to the left, just at the ends of the clip, who looks like he's hurt his foot! Think it might be from the original trip.

I am not into mob violent, and kicking people when they are down ...
What’s all this fluffy bollocks about not kicking people when they’re down anyway? Some kind of Queensbury rule of street fighting? If you’re ever in a serious punch-up and are lucky enough to find your opponent on the floor whilst you’re still standing, I strongly advise you to put the boot in as quickly as possible to prevent him getting up.

Business owners are insured. It's workers and the general public who are worst affected by this. If he'd escaped who knows what he'd have done next time - threatened a pregnant woman causing a miscarriage, given someone's Dad a heart attack, traumatised a kid, etc.

True, but if I had paused to consider the possibilities of this person's future actions and all the other ethical implications involved, the guy could have gotten to Timbuktu while I was still thinking about the blood diamond issue.

If I'm making a split-second decision, I'm not going up unarmed against somebody who probably has a weapon if I'm not going to be protecting somebody from immediate harm by doing so - especially not when the cops who get paid for doing this kind of shit are probably a few seconds away.

If there was no police force and it was up to the public to decide things, it might be a different story. Possibly a story that ended with me, the shop's employees, the robbers, and assorted passers-by walking away with an equal share of the jewels.

Last edited:
What’s all this fluffy bollocks about not kicking people when they’re down anyway? Some kind of Queensbury rule of street fighting? If you’re ever in a serious punch-up and are lucky enough to find your opponent on the floor whilst you’re still standing, I strongly advise you to put the boot in as quickly as possible to prevent him getting up.

Nice bit of selected quoting, you wanker. :p

Being serious, I think my post made is clear that it depends on circumstances, and level of risk.

That's horrible.

Hue & cry (no Pickman's model not the pop duo) was a legitimate response to active crime, and pretty instinctive but the rule of law and a common sense of justice ought to restrict that kind of beating.

As others say, you don't kick someone when they're down.

There was a spate of muggings in my street and one night the felon was caught. No one beat him but several sat on him til the cops finally arrived. By the end of it he was almost a pal. Quite odd.
There is famously never a cop around when you need them. The cops barely pay lip service to muggings and burglary, and with each successive set of statistics showing a lower rate of detection and conviction for all manner of crime it's fair to say that the rule of law is far more honoured in the breach than the observance. If you find yourself or others threatened, it is rare that the best way to deal with an enemy - to make them a friend - is realistic. The threat has to be neutralised, especially if they may be armed. And simply knocking someone down won't do it. I find it really strange that people get all oh noes it's nasty when the photo on the front of 'no retreat' (and iirc it's in bash the fash too) shows a fascist on the ground getting a kicking yet AFAIK no one's ever said how you shouldn't do that to fascists. If someone poses a threat to you and you get them on the ground and then say it's OK mate up you get it'll be i think very much the exception they don't go cheers and whack you when you least expect it.

Incidentally I think the house journal of the ric at the time of the black and tans and auxiliaries was hue and cry

True, but if I had paused to consider the possibilities of this person's future actions and all the other ethical implications involved, the guy could have gotten to Timbuktu while I was still thinking about the blood diamond issue.

If I'm making a split-second decision, I'm not going up unarmed against somebody who probably has a weapon if I'm not going to be protecting somebody from immediate harm by doing so - especially not when the cops who get paid for doing this kind of shit are probably a few seconds away.

If there was no police force and it was up to the public to decide things, it might be a different story. Possibly a story that ended with me, the shop's employees, the robbers, and assorted passers-by walking away with an equal share of the jewels.

In fairness, I don't think anyone can say what they'd do unless they've been in similar situations.

I don't have any more knowledge of parallel universes than you do.

I do know what the FAQ says about fucking with posters' usernames however.

You genuinely don't know whether, if he'd escaped, it's more likely that: a) he'd have committed another robbery; or, b) he'd have travelled back in time and killed Hitler?

I think that probably gives us a clue as to how much weight to attach to your witterings.

Plank.

I'll look forward to reading this thread in the morning full of people who think the capitalist jeweller's right to property ownership is so much more important than someone else's right not to be violently physically assaulted. Someone whose circumstances they know nothing about except that he 'probably broke the law'.

Isn’t physical altercation an occupational hazard for broad daylight aggravated jewellery thieves?

I'd be interested to know if, apart from Athos who I'm sure does know, anyone here can show a knowledge of the law of citizen's arrest

Over here...

4.—(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), any person may arrest without warrant anyone who is or whom he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects to be in the act of committing an arrestable offence.

(2) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), where an arrestable offence has been committed, any person may arrest without warrant anyone who is or whom he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects to be guilty of the offence.

(3) Where a member of the Garda Síochána, with reasonable cause, suspects that an arrestable offence has been committed, he or she may arrest without warrant anyone whom the member, with reasonable cause, suspects to be guilty of the offence.

(4) An arrest other than by a member of the Garda Síochána may only be effected by a person under subsection (1) or (2) where he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects that the person to be arrested by him or her would otherwise attempt to avoid, or is avoiding, arrest by a member of the Garda Síochána.

(5) A person who is arrested pursuant to this section by a person other than a member of the Garda Síochána shall be transferred into the custody of the Garda Síochána as soon as practicable.

(6) This section shall not affect the operation of any enactment restricting the institution of proceedings for an offence or prejudice any power of arrest conferred by law apart from this section.

I'll look forward to reading this thread in the morning full of people who think the capitalist jeweller's right to property ownership is so much more important than someone else's right not to be violently physically assaulted. Someone whose circumstances they know nothing about except that he 'probably broke the law'.

This reminds me...there was a guy breaking into the local school a few years ago. He got in...robbed money and whatever else he could bag..got back out up on a flat roof. The roof gave way and he fell injuring himself. He claimed for damages and won.

Irony..eh?

You genuinely don't know whether, if he'd escaped, it's more likely that: a) he'd have committed another robbery; or, b) he'd have travelled back in time and killed Hitler?

I think that probably gives us a clue as to how much weight to attach to your witterings.

Plank.

I picked a spurious example on purpose to highlight the stupidity of predicting what someone was going to do with the rest of their life. What about if he goes to prison? What's prison like at reforming villains? Worse than useless last I checked, but you left that out of your, for want of a better word, argument.

Back
Top Bottom