Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Printer Error Mega Thread

muscovyduck

Good IT skills and food hygiene competent
Hello you beautiful people! I did search for a similar thread to this but couldn't find one. I have 5 printers I'm responsible for in some form (3 currently broken) and saw that some of you have others so figured we could do with a mega thread to try and fix them all.

Today's urgent problem:

Printer: Epson Workforce 7830

My printer fixing ability: 7/10 (willing and able to unscrew and replace parts, but generally a bit inexperienced)

I am having a problem printing using Epson Thick Matte paper. Printing on other paper works fine.

The nature of the problem has been slightly shifting over time.

After a couple of successful identical prints, the third print spat the paper straight out and claimed there was a paper jam. This then kept happening.

I cleaned the rollers (although unsure if I've done a good enough job) and after that then had an issue where the printer thought there was no paper at all. It randomly then decided to do two further prints correctly (although the first one it grabbed two bits of paper), then had some actual paper jams, and is now back in its phantom paper jam + spitting paper out problem I started out with.

Throughout all of this, printing on normal plain paper has been fine.

I feel like the sound now is different to the sound the printer made at the start of the problem but I'm not very sure.

I'm assuming it's still a problem with the print rollers, but part of me wonders if it's an issue with the sensors. I don't know where the sensors are on the machine and there's no automatic options about them in maintenance or settings.

When I say I cleaned the rollers, I've done the automatic paper feeder clean but also manually cleaned them.

I did try shoving the paper in the wrong cassette and mislabelling it high quality plain paper but only got one low quality print out of it.

"Thick paper" setting is on.

Firmware up to date

All other automatic cleaning and checks done

File size is small but borderless

When I do paper feed cleaning I can do it with the matte paper fine

Last edited:
Cleaned the roller again and now we're back at the printer thinking there's no paper in the cassette when there is

OK so thinking about it logically.
A printer roller cleaning problem might make sense because it would mean the following sequence happens

1. Printer roller can just about pick up lighter paper, but doesn't have the strength to pick up the matte paper because of dust or whatever.

2. Because it's not picked up the paper, a sensor after the roller spots there's no paper, and thinks there was no paper in the tray.

3. If it gets past the first roller, then has problems at the second roller, then one sensor will pick it up but the next one won't, so it will think it's a paper jam.

But then why after all that does it easily spit the paper out?

And why is it that when I clean the rollers, it pushes the problem further back down the chain (ie, from paper jam to no paper) rather than the other direction?

I've not tried going at it with a can of air yet. Don't know if there's any optical sensors or if they're all mechanical.

How long after cleaning a roller should I wait before printing? I feel like this is how I got those couple extra prints last time. If I can do 10 more it'll buy me time to get it looked at under the warranty

Have you checked whether anyone on youtube has had a similar problem? You'd imagine there would be a whole subsection on printers. My fairly arcane desiccant dehumidifier model stopped working and some kind person showed me how to disassemble it and what part to get. Unfortunately nothing on how to reassemble so I'm on my own after that.

Have you checked whether anyone on youtube has had a similar problem? You'd imagine there would be a whole subsection on printers. My fairly arcane desiccant dehumidifier model stopped working and some kind person showed me how to disassemble it and what part to get. Unfortunately nothing on how to reassemble so I'm on my own after that.

There's a fair few, all pointing in the general direction of rollers and sensors. Once I've got this print job out the way it'll be easier to clear my head and work through it properly but for now I'm under so much pressure I want to vomit. I've switched to a different printer (with its own woes) for now. If I knew it was something I could definitely fix without ordering in a new part I'd stick with it

So the update is that it started picking up paper, got to the point where it was printing, then it all went wrong again. Then it started jamming earlier on in the process. Got an error code with a solid walkthrough on it but not the sort of thing I can do overnight.

I had to do a fairly important printing job today, as soon as I started and printed the first sheet I then got an error saying "output tray full" or similar and it refused to print anything more until I removed the single sheet of paper from the tray. I blame muscovyduck for giving it ideas. :mad:
Take the output tray off. :)

Just run the video backwards. :)

Yes I'll be playing segments back to front :)

One thing with these videos they always seem to say "just take out the screws and remove the cover" when removing the cover actually also involves a fair amount of pushing and pulling and twisting and turning. :mad:

Update on this! I have now broken someone else's printer :)

In the meantime we've discovered the Epson Workforce isn't really supposed to take the card, even though the user manual says it can.

Basically, if you've seen printers categorised into things like "Office" printer and "Photo" printer, this sort of thing is what they're referring to. While technically it can take the card, it shouldn't take too much over time because it'll wear it down. This is implied by the fact it's an Office printer and the paper is categorised as Photo paper (ie, for Photo printers).

I had to do a fairly important printing job today, as soon as I started and printed the first sheet I then got an error saying "output tray full" or similar and it refused to print anything more until I removed the single sheet of paper from the tray. I blame muscovyduck for giving it ideas. :mad:
What printer have you got and is it a recurring problem? This is the kind of thing that spirals over several months ime

Anyone got a Brother printer? If so, do you have colour balance issues when printing?

What printer have you got and is it a recurring problem? This is the kind of thing that spirals over several months ime
I appreciate your concern for my printer, but it's a work printer and dunno, my relationship with this printer is sufficiently minimal that if it runs out of ink I'd have to get IT to replace the cartridge.

Update on this! I have now broken someone else's printer :)

In the meantime we've discovered the Epson Workforce isn't really supposed to take the card, even though the user manual says it can.

Basically, if you've seen printers categorised into things like "Office" printer and "Photo" printer, this sort of thing is what they're referring to. While technically it can take the card, it shouldn't take too much over time because it'll wear it down. This is implied by the fact it's an Office printer and the paper is categorised as Photo paper (ie, for Photo printers).
Printers are demons spawned in the deepest pits of hell, you haven't broke it. It committed Hari-Kiri and tried to frame it on you

Back
Top Bottom