Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Recommend me a printer

thanks, regarding someone's post about Brother being poor quality, i saw this one below where the reviews are really good and am thinking of getting it...

didn't realise lasers had got that cheap

may just consider one if and when current printer finally gives up, although i do like the option to do some colour printing (although don't do it that often now) - and current one is a combined scanner / printer, so takes up less space and USB ports than having two separate bits of kit

Double sided printing is nice, usb only - what I'd have chosen on reflection, I've had really good experience with Argos, one year guarantee - interested to know if they increase that to three years if you register it with them.

Double sided printing is nice, usb only - what I'd have chosen on reflection, I've had really good experience with Argos, one year guarantee - interested to know if they increase that to three years if you register it with them.
theres an option but its about £50 i think

may just consider one if and when current printer finally gives up, although i do like the option to do some colour printing (although don't do it that often now) - and current one is a combined scanner / printer, so takes up less space and USB ports than having two separate bits of kit
i don't think this does anything else (no scans or copying) sadly

(too late for OP, but for anyone else wondering)

Got a Brother colour laser here. Takes 3rd party toner, which is loads cheaper. WiFi and supports printing from phones, which is really handy. No complaints at all.

Pointless writing the exact model as they get refreshed every year with new model nos. :D

now that you say that I'm wondering whether the 3-year guarantee actually holds for my printer. I'll phone Monday.

(too late for OP, but for anyone else wondering)

Got a Brother colour laser here. Takes 3rd party toner, which is loads cheaper. WiFi and supports printing from phones, which is really handy. No complaints at all.

Pointless writing the exact model as they get refreshed every year with new model nos. :D

What kind of size is it?

There's a version with a scanner

What kind of size is it?
well it did cause a problem due to the depth. its pretty much square so the lead is bent against the wall and i had to move the shelving out a bit . its about an inch bigger than a LP cover (top) and the height is about 7 inches

thanks.

not planning to replace current printer unless / until i have to (i'm not entirely sure, but think i'm on my 3rd or just possibly 4th printer since i entered the computer age some time in the late 90s) but worth bearing in mind. and would have to think about whether the loss of colour options would be a big deal or not.

What kind of size is it?
A4, with scanner. 41w, 42h, 48d (cm)
It needs clearance above to open the scanner bed.
The depth is quite a bit. It overhangs the bit of furniture it sits on.
This one, but I paid more like £280 for it, not the full £406 listed here

There's a slightly more expensive one that also does automatic 2-sided printing, which I wanted but was out of stock everywhere (this was back in early lockdown when printers were in hot demand)

Well I contacted Brother technical support (never thought of it before :facepalm:) they're really helpful.

Told them the error message I've been getting and they suggested a couple of things over the phone. Have received an email asking for more details and saying that the printer's still in warranty which is pretty bloody reassuring. I should have done this before although it hasn't been that important that the print quality wasn't that good.

I take back all I've said about the printer, Brother are really good to deal with :thumbs: I did also get it because it's a copier/scanner and that's worked well.

I've had a little Samsung laser printer (C42?) copier for about three years. It's the least shit printer I've owned.

the depth caused a bit of a problem for me as had to pull the shelves out a bit and the cord is bent against the wall
Mine is just bigger than a LP , about 13-14" square and about 7" tall

ta for that - just ordered and apparently has linux drivers :) delivery by tomorrow morning :eek:

I discovered that I didn't have 3-year guarantee on my old brother printer which meant it failed after printing fewer (note correct usage not 'less' :cool: ) than 300 copies :( but fair enough because I don't use it often. It still does copies so I can use it as a copier. Can't scan with it I don't think but at least I can take photograph of a page and 'scan' it that way.

Have to say I've found argos really good to deal with - good prices and fast delivery.

I recently bought my third Epson. I bought the second as an upgrade, the first was still working perfectly. There was also nothing wrong with the second, it's just in the wrong country. It would routinely be used to print 700 pages a month. I've found them cheap to run and reliable. I wouldn't hesitate recommending them.

My Epson has selectable automatic double sided printing. It's wireless.

ta for that - just ordered and apparently has linux drivers :) delivery by tomorrow morning :eek:

I discovered that I didn't have 3-year guarantee on my old brother printer which meant it failed after printing fewer (note correct usage not 'less' :cool: ) than 300 copies :( but fair enough because I don't use it often. It still does copies so I can use it as a copier. Can't scan with it I don't think but at least I can take photograph of a page and 'scan' it that way.

Have to say I've found argos really good to deal with - good prices and fast delivery.
mine is working fine so far but every time i print a manifest i get a notice "would you like Brother to make changes to your computer" and i click no cos its already printed the sheet and i am worried it knocks out my other printer

I'd check with Brother tech support - I found them really good. They actually answered the phone and emails quickly and were very helpful.

well the Brother is working fine but does anyone who has one know how long the toner lasts cos i don't want to be caught short when needing to print a manifest

Back
Top Bottom