Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

PPE is still a frigging joke in this country.

More than 40 museums and galleries across the UK have donated personal protective equipment (PPE) to the NHS and ambulance services in response to the Covid-19 crisis, the Guardian has learned.

The institutions, including the British Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, National Archives at Kew and Scotland’s national museums and galleries, have given large quantities of masks, gloves, plastic aprons and hats to help ease shortages faced by frontline health workers.

PPE that is normally used by museum conservators when handling delicate items in their collections is often identical to that used by doctors and nurses.

26s ago 14:26

EUd2GdZXkAcn4Zv

A picture says a thousand words.

Medics threaten to limit services due to PPE shortage
Medics at a hospital have warned they may need to limit services to a “bare minimum” amid concerns over fears for their own safety.
Staff at Southend Hospital in Essex claim to be “petrified” about the rationing of personal protective equipment (PPE).
In a letter sent to management, staff warned if the standard and availability of PPE is not improved by close of play on Wednesday, they will introduce “restricted services” in high-risk areas of the hospital.
The BBC has the story.
It comes as some leading trade unions warned the lack of PPE is a “crisis within a crisis”.

Here in Japan, Abe's announced that every household will be receiving 2 masks. Which is kind of unfortunate for those households with more than 2 people...

My understanding it that here's 2 main issues with PPE, the supply and the type.

For supply to a mix of problems, some of it a short supply globally, some bad preparations, some is logistics/distribution problems within the UK.
For type it's an issue about what PHE is saying is safe for us to wear and what the WHO/rest of the world say is safe.

PHE are about to update their recommendations though, should happen today. Maybe...

An NHS worker has died from coronavirus after treating patients with only gloves for protection, leaving his family feeling "let down".

Thomas Harvey collapsed on Sunday after falling ill having helped a patient who later tested positive for Covid-19.

The 57-year-old healthcare assistant's family claim with the "right" personal protective equipment (PPE) at Goodmayes Hospital, London, he may not have died.

The hospital said there were "no symptomatic patients on the ward".

For type it's an issue about what PHE is saying is safe for us to wear and what the WHO/rest of the world say is safe.

PHE are about to update their recommendations though, should happen today. Maybe...

Yes. I think I've been hearing noises about them updating it for about a week now, but last I heard today was supposed to be the day.

They only changed it to lower the standard for some scenarios on March 6th, let me see if I can dig up the specifics of that previous change.

Current docs that we can compare to future changes.

6 March 2020
Changes to PPE and mask and respiratory recommendations for different situations

Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 13.43.56.png
FFP3 vs FRSM and Gown vs Apron for the 2nd column, and to some extent probably the 1st column, are particular areas of contention. Maybe Gown vs Apron in the 3rd column too.

Dr Rosena Allin Khan, Dr and L/P Deputy Leader candidate has just savaged govt handling of this, calling it an abomination.

decided to vote for her now,

update, damn voting closed

Last edited:
Thanks for posting it. That pages summary of changes to the official official guidance:

Main changes to previous guidance
The main changes are:
  • enhanced PPE recommendations for a wide range of health and social care contexts
  • inclusion of individual and organisational risk assessment at local level to inform PPE use
  • recommendation of single sessional (extended) use of some PPE items
  • re-usable PPE can be used. Advice on suitable decontamination arrangements should be obtained from the manufacturer, supplier or local infection control
  • guidance for when case status is unknown and SARS-CoV-2 is circulating at high levels
  • recommendation on patient use of facemasks

Reactions: LDC
“Lack of personal protective equipment continues to be a critical issue. It is heartbreaking to hear that some staff have been told to simply ‘hold their breath’ due to lack of masks,” said Dr Samantha Batt-Rawden, the president of the Doctors’ Association UK (DAUK).

DAUK are... a bit cultish and hyperbolic. Their leader absolutely courts publicity and thrives on scandal and click bait (see snorkels). They kinda piss me off tbh.

Medical professionals have written to the Scottish government to express "grave concerns" about the protective equipment they have been given.

The letter claims some front-line staff are risking their lives in the Covid-19 epidemic because they do not have suitable aprons, masks and eyewear.

The open letter has been signed by more than 100 medical professionals.

Abdul Mabud Chowdhury,53, passed away after 15 days in hospital.

On 18 March he wrote a message to Boris Johnson asking him to "urgently" ensure personal protective equipment for "each and every NHS worker in the UK".

He told the prime minister that healthcare workers "are in direct contact with patients" and have a "human right like others to live in this world disease-free with our family and children".

Dr Chowdhury was a locum urologist who worked at Homerton Hospital in East London and died on Wednesday at Queen's Hospital in Romford after testing positive for coronavirus.

I dont think I can become any more angry and upset about the PPE issues than I already am, so I dont really know what to add to this story.

This article covers many things but I'm quite deliberatey going to quote the bits relevant to the government trying to pass the blame back to the people who need the PPE.

The health secretary said 742 million pieces of protective gear had been delivered so far, saying: "There's enough PPE to go around, but only if it's used in line with our guidance. We need everyone to treat PPE like the precious resource that it is."

Mr Hancock told the BBC he was not "impugning anyone who works for the NHS" and "they do an amazing job".

"But what I am reiterating, stressing, is the importance to use the right amount of PPE," he added.

However, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said it was "insulting to imply frontline staff are wasting PPE" and the government "must act" to ensure sufficient supplies are delivered.

The Royal College of Nursing (RCN) has dismissed any suggestion that healthcare staff have been overusing PPE.

RCN chief executive Dame Donna Kinnair told the BBC no PPE was "more precious a resource than a healthcare worker's life, a nurse's life, a doctor's life".

"I take offence, actually, that we are saying that healthcare workers are abusing or overusing PPE," she told BBC Breakfast, adding that nurses were still telling her they did not have adequate supply of protective equipment.

It comes after Mr Hancock warned on Friday that PPE should only be used where it was most needed.

Matt Hancock should be shot for that comment.

I posted this on another thread but one of my friends is a nurse and is home on day 8 of being ill with suspected CV. In our Trust, PPE isn't given to staff unless a patient is showing signs of CV or has tested positive. In our conversation she said 'We need to wear PPE with everyone really but there wouldn't be enough to go round ...'

Perhaps Mr Hancock would like to come here and chat to the staff about it? Or to Aimee O'Rourke's children about why their mum is dead? :mad:

Text from my brother (Dr/Covid side, A&E resus) this morning: ''Sharon's brother is sending me a visor in the post - his girlfriend got some when she was working on Ebola for MSF. Hope he's given them a wipe."

Text from my brother (Dr/Covid side, A&E resus) this morning: ''Sharon's brother is sending me a visor in the post - his girlfriend got some when she was working on Ebola for MSF. Hope he's given them a wipe."
He may be joking but I'm sure I heard some health professional on the news the other day say that their hospital was getting through 900 face shields a day. Why can't they be cleaned? That's the point of plastic. :confused:

He may be joking but I'm sure I heard some health professional on the news the other day say that their hospital was getting through 900 face shields a day. Why can't they be cleaned? That's the point of plastic. :confused:

I thought the same, face shields / visors could be washed, or left for 72 hours, or both and then reused?

No it isn't. The point of plastic is er it's plastic, it can be readily and cheaply made into various sorts of equipment, many of which (eg gloves, clothes, masks) are intended for a single use

No it isn't. The point of plastic is er it's plastic, it can be readily and cheaply made into various sorts of equipment, many of which (eg gloves, clothes, masks) are intended for a single use

Actually there're reusable face shields, being a hard plastic cleaning is possible.

Back
Top Bottom