Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post-vaccine Boomer Behaviour?

Unless I've missed it there doesn't seem to have been any serious discussion about how we come out of lockdown post vaccine. It could be really complicated. For instance, if a group of friends have all had the vaccine should it be OK for them to mix freely with each other, but not with the general public? Might be OK after enough time has elapsed, but policing/managing all of that would be impossible. And can vaccinated people spread the virus or not? Once we know the answer to that question it could completely change our attitudes going forward. We could end up for some time with a big divergence between public and private behaviour.

The role of the over-80s in community spread over the last 12 months has been minimal. As a group, they move around the least and see the fewest people. The way that the various waves have started in other age groups then spread to the old shows that clearly enough.

it's not the over 80s that worry me. It's those in their late 60s and early 70s.

Though obviously #notallboomers

My Dad has been slightly breaking the rules going to his allotment throughout (he might not, I don't know if in England you're allowed to drive for exercise), but there's no-one there and it keeps him fit and mentally healthy so I've overlooked it, but worried him and my step mum are so bored they might start running around the country. They'll probably be quite sensible though, knowing them.

More worrying are my partner's parents, who haven't seen any family in a year and seem to be convinced they'll be able to return completely to normal the second they have the first jab. Not looking forward to having that conversation when they want to come around. It'll definitely somehow be Welsh Labour's fault, that I know :D

I thought allotments been specifically included as allowed in the rules, so long as you're not driving across the country to one, but by their nature must be local to you.
I get confused as we're in different parts of the UK, but he's driving less than ten miles to be in a field on his own (or yelling distance from one other person) in rural Leicestershire so I reckon it would be higher risk for a man in his late 70s to stop his main exercise for a year tbh.

As a 'boomer' (69), I didn't gallivant before the pandemic and won't be after I've had my second jab. The people I know in my age group are the same.
The only thing we do that might be 'gallivanting' is a holiday abroad. I would like to go on holiday again next winter, but at the moment I think that will be unlikely.

The role of the over-80s in community spread over the last 12 months has been minimal. As a group, they move around the least and see the fewest people. The way that the various waves have started in other age groups then spread to the old shows that clearly enough.
As a group yes, but the example was someone going from the disease ridden UK to Barbados.

I get confused as we're in different parts of the UK, but he's driving less than ten miles to be in a field on his own (or yelling distance from one other person) in rural Leicestershire so I reckon it would be higher risk for a man in his late 70s to stop his main exercise for a year tbh.
This is the kind of stuff all of us are balancing. If strictly obeying the rules would harm you and you make a judgement that a particular behaviour is low-risk but will do you the world of good... we've all been making this kind of calculation, and the older you are, the more important these sorts of releases become.

Tbh, my parents still won't be able to do what they like to (attend theatre, concerts and opera) anyway. They'll probably want to see more of us and seeing as they have a garden accessible via side gate we probably will do more of that, though I think we'll stick with distancing and staying outside as long as those are requirements.

My mum has been very upset about not being able to go swimming/doing her singing lessons in person, but given that both are going to continue to be closed she can't really go to those, vaccine or not. She's 76 and in good physical health, but being "locked up" has made her more anxious than usual - her anxiety manifests itself in ways I find upsetting, so I've been avoiding her as much as possible in the virtual sense. She does her own shopping and goes for walks.

I was talking to my friend yesterday. She doesn't really follow the rules but does shop for her dad so I suggested she shouldn't really go inside when dropping off the shopping and she said that he's not following rules at all. All him and his mates are in and out of each others houses etc.

Whereas I know my parents will still be careful and informed post vaccine.
Have a very strong feeling that their behaviour will not age well. They might be living in denial at the moment however.

We (4 adult household, all but me over 65 - and I'll be that later this year) have been effectively shielding for almost a full year now.
These new variants have made us even more careful than we were in the first lockdown.
[the spike in cases locally may well have been due to the "Kent" one, and the timing of the spike was partly into the second lockdown]

Even after our vaccinations, I can't see any of us taking much in the way of risks for much of this year.
Of course, we would like to go back to the sort of lifestyle & holidays we had prior to the 'rona, but I doubt that we will.

I’ve had one jab and I’m wearing a mask in my own ficking house :D

eta what’s a boomer. I don’t think I’m one

I've been a bit worried about the lack of understanding around the vaccine, a number of people I've talked to or heard others have, seem to think once they've had it they can do what they want as they're immune, including some of whom think the literal moment it's done it works.
Had this conversation with my folks recently. I feel sorry for them - they were excited about having their first jabs and the talk was of '80% immunity' etc. I felt like I was passing on their chips a bit by urging caution until they've had their second jab. I get that they're sick of being stuck at home but it feels like we're at the final hurdle now. It would be insane to relax and get covid just for the sake of a bit more caution.

The government hasn't helped this by describing people who've had one jab as 'vaccinated'. They're not.

The thing I don't get is why they're so desperate to go to a fucking supermarket though. :D All the supermarkets round here had had outbreaks - they're about the most dangerous place outside of a hospital. And they deliver so you don't have to be there. If you want to get out the house, go for a walk down the beach or something. It's beyond me but there you go. :D

The thing I don't get is why they're so desperate to go to a fucking supermarket though. :D All the supermarkets round here had had outbreaks - they're about the most dangerous place outside of a hospital. And they deliver so you don't have to be there. If you want to get out the house, go for a walk down the beach or something. It's beyond me but there you go. :D

My favourite is people taking the whole family to tescos for a fucking day out. The bloody virus must be laughing itself sick at that one.

Thread title... :thumbs: Needed a bad in there as well for full impact.

I've been a bit worried about the lack of understanding around the vaccine, a number of people I've talked to or heard others have, seem to think once they've had it they can do what they want as they're immune, including some of whom think the literal moment it's done it works.

I think it'll also be used as an argument for the anti-lockdown types to push for fast relaxation of any restrictions.
DaddyBadgers was a bit vague on this. He is a very clever old fella but did expect his two dose vaccine to give him more freedom. The messages from government have no doubt raised some false hopes.

For instance, if a group of friends have all had the vaccine should it be OK for them to mix freely with each other, but not with the general public? Might be OK after enough time has elapsed, but policing/managing all of that would be impossible.
A tattoo to signify you've been vaccinated is the answer here. First jab: no longer sick so perhaps a number 6 to signify this. 2nd jab, another 6, two weeks later once its kicked in another 6. Sorted.

Unless I've missed it there doesn't seem to have been any serious discussion about how we come out of lockdown post vaccine. It could be really complicated. For instance, if a group of friends have all had the vaccine should it be OK for them to mix freely with each other, but not with the general public? Might be OK after enough time has elapsed, but policing/managing all of that would be impossible. And can vaccinated people spread the virus or not? Once we know the answer to that question it could completely change our attitudes going forward. We could end up for some time with a big divergence between public and private behaviour.

Pretty sure they are just going to throw things open in March.

Back
Top Bottom