Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post-vaccine Boomer Behaviour?

So she’s definitely going to catch it from work, you think. And you are therefore definitely going to catch it from her since you are spending a lot of time in close proximity. I assume you are then completely isolating yourself from everybody else, right? You’re not intentionally going out and mixing with others, thus spreading it further and probably killing someone else’s mum, right?

The word "definitely" is doing a bit of heavy lifting in your comment...

With regard to the latter part of your comment - I address this in comment #166. Of course I don't intentionally seek out vulnerable individuals, let's be civil here.

The word "definitely" is doing a bit of heavy lifting in your comment...

With regard to the latter part of your comment - I address this in comment #166. Of course I don't intentionally seek out vulnerable individuals, let's be civil here.
It’s not civil to infect those who will die from the infection. You’re indulging in incredibly self-centred and potentially lethal behaviour and you apparently couldn’t give a shit.

It’s not civil to infect those who will die from the infection. You’re indulging in incredibly self-centred and potentially lethal behaviour and you apparently couldn’t give a shit.

Fair enough, we agree to disagree. I'm here to give my 2p on the topic in question, not ask for permission to visit my own mum.

I love my classical music and I was wondering whether some places might be able to start concerts for the over 60s before doing anything else given that, much as I'd like it to be otherwises > 80% of audience is in that bracket and will have been vaccinated. So they could get in a pretty good audience just from that demographic.

I love my classical music and I was wondering whether some places might be able to start concerts for the over 60s before doing anything else given that, much as I'd like it to be otherwises > 80% of audience is in that bracket and will have been vaccinated. So they could get in a pretty good audience just from that demographic.

the performers won’t be though and neither will the technicians. Most likely also the last to get jabs if fit and healthy. Can they do their jobs safely? Can they get to work safely? Boomers hey! 🙄😉

Last edited:
I will, via mutual agreement, start to visit my grandmother in the coming days, she's coming up on 1 month since first jab now.

I've been visiting my mother throughout, her job is high risk enough that we figure it's overwhelmingly likely that she'd catch the virus from that rather than me.

Regarding 'spreading' the virus; as far as I'm concerned the appropriate response throughout has been for people to protect themselves and their immediate circle, not to worry about some chain reaction ten people long, it's not viable from a mental health perspective.
Fuck off.

the performers won’t be though and neither will the technicians. Most likely also the last to get jabs if fit and healthy. Can they do their jobs safely? Can they get to work safely?
Would work on both front for old punk rockers gigs though
e2a: having had my jab I am about to hop onto eurostar to go to one of those parisian orgies

Regarding 'spreading' the virus; as far as I'm concerned the appropriate response throughout has been for people to protect themselves and their immediate circle, not to worry about some chain reaction ten people long, it's not viable from a mental health perspective.
Millions (billions) of have people have been actively supporting each other by doing what you claim is "not viable from a mental health perspective", by considering the effects not just to them and their immediate circle but to society as a whole. If anything other than a very slim minority took the attitude you outline then the death rate would be (astronomically) worse than what it currently is.

Last edited:
Millions (billions) of have people have been actively supporting each other by doing what you claim is "not viable from a mental health perspective", but considering the effects not just to them and their immediate circle but to society as a whole. If anything other than a very slim minority took the attitude you outline then the death rate would be (astronomically) worse than what it currently is.

The only people I know that have been in complete isolation (i.e. not creating hypothetical transmission chains) over the last few months have been clinically shielding.

It's clear that I have upset some people here in describing my intent to visit my family, and as it's actually quite disturbing (not to mention hurtful) to me that people would think this is somehow immoral, I shall leave this thread now.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
No one has said that people must be in complete isolation.
What has been criticised is your attitude that people should not consider the wider effects of their actions on society. If you are living on your own you can form a social bubble (though common sense and solidarity would say that you still need to think about the effects of what you are doing).
As far as I'm concerned, the rules quite literally don't apply to me, because they're obviously designed for nuclear families. Most other countries at least allow a few people over to your house.

The idea that theoretically I'm not going to have any human contact other than with one person I nominate for three months is just not being entertained. If we were at serious risk, I'd do everything I could, but as a mid 30s bloke, there is just no chance.

I see a few people a week and I feel, well, pretty awful, but that's less as a result of what I'm doing and more that I'm anxious about our democracy. I guess this is what it feels like to be marginalized, heh.
You've said that you are willing to ignore the law (and guidelines) because there are "not serious" risks. Maybe not for you, but for plenty of others the risk are very very serious indeed. And yes millions of people (billions worldwide) have been doing their utmost to apply measures that will protect each other.

I had my jab last Saturday. I’m 68 so officially a boomer. Text from my GP surgery the Wed before. Click on link in text to NHS website. Yes I did check it was not a scam. :) & got appointment for Saturday afternoon. It was the Pfizer jab they told me. Next day I felt shit & very tired. Good nights kip next night & been ok since. I had Covid quite bad over Xmas. For 2 weeks I had never felt so bad in all my life but I am fully recovered now.

My behaviour has not really changed pre jab or pre getting Covid since the first lockdown. I drive to nearest large Tesco or Lidl about 8 miles away once a week. I go for a local walk from home once or twice a day. I see people I know when I am walking & stop & chat to them from a distance.

I will admit to finding it difficult to take the first lockdown seriously but actually getting Covid was the real wake up call. I am more careful now than ever I was particularly with hand washing & sanitising which I know is obtuse because after having Covid they reckon you have some immunity for a few months & also I have had first jab.

There are some vaguely comparable ONS survey figures for people in different age ranges meeting others, but cannot do a direct comparison due to different wording, question being broken into multiple parts, and also in this study the age group is the less distinct 70+.

Plus I'm not sure I expect people to wade through the data and this part of their survey does not seem to be covered by any nice charts the more general article about its results, have to look in the spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet:

The related article:

I mean, obviously I know nothing about it, but is there really any harm in fully vaccinated people seeing one other household that isn't? I can see there being an issue if you open things up and have crowds that are 20% vaccinated and 80% not mingling with one another, but is there as high a risk with more one-on-one meetings? Or does no one know, most likely?

Part of the answer to that depends on other pandemic factors at the time, eg if there are far less cases in general at the time then the chances of someone bringing the virus into a particular home are reduced.

And factors like that are still important because even when really impressive vaccine data appears, it still includes plenty of vaccinated people getting sick, and some still dying. The percentage estimates for that change over time as more data comes in so I dont want to give numbers as if they are gospel, but it we use 80% for the purposes of this conversation right now then thats still 20% of vaccinated people who catch it that could pass away from it.

Now of course vaccination can also contribute to a changed infection/transmission picture that ends up decreasing the chances of an individual coming into contact with someone in the virus, so a persons individual chance of dying from Covid is also reduced in that way, so even when the percentage I mentioned firms up it wont be the whole story.

Back to your questions wording, its understandable that people might think of a particular behaviour/form of mixing it in terms of 'any harm', but the boring answer is that any contact involves some risk. Especially indoors, depending on things like ventilation. And so its not really a question of 'any', but rather what happens to pandemic modelling when sums are done involving these risks added up across the country at different stages of pandemic wave growth or decline, and different stages of mass vaccination.

I'm really hoping we dont have a phase where there are many people that are shocked that their vaccinated loved-one still died of Covid-19 or got hospitalised. Its possible we will, but to what extent I cannot predict due to various uncertainties. Whether the media focus on that if it happens will also be a tricky balancing act where they and authorities wont want to encourage defeatism and negativity about vaccination, but might also be trying to deal with a situation where too many people have relaxed their guard too much, people that need to be helped back to a more balanced view of the ongoing risks.

What I would hope is that enough things work well enough that some of what I've just described doesnt actually end up becoming a big issue, and that we'll actually ended up with sufficient wiggle-room to cope with both the governments unlocking timetable, and peoples changing behaviour as a result of vaccination. So these arent predictions, they are possibilities I feel the need to highlight now, that will hopefully diminish in relevance to the point that I dont feel the need to bore on about them very often at some future point.

Back
Top Bottom