Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post a cultural anecdote or reminiscence for Sparkling

Yes, folk seem to equate Scottish with being from Glasgow. And sure, it's the biggest place but other places also exist...

I was introduced to someone recently and told he was from Glasgow. He was actually from Edinburgh and had a pretty strong Edinburgh accent. The friend who introduced us literally couldn't hear that it sounded very different to mine (SW but reasonably neutral) and different again to another mutual friend who's from Glasgow. V strange
I find the Edinburgh accent easy to understand, Glaswegian is a lot harder.

I've a friend in London from Wick. People down here don't really seem to get how far away it is. (They also seem to think we have the same accent when we really, really don't. :confused: 🤷‍♀️)
When getting the train backwards and forwards between the NE and London you pass a sign which points both directions (on the approach Southwards into York) which basically says:

<<< Edinburgh 200 miles - London 200 miles >>>

And Edinburgh is the close bit.

I honestly don’t think of the top right hand shoulder of Scotland being “the Highlands”. I’m always amused when people from the Moray coast claim to be Highlanders.
those selling online products almost always regard the Moray coast as the Highlands and jack up their delivery prices accordingly 😐 Many refuse to supply north of Aberdeen..

Just remembered, spurred on by quimcunx's post on the bible thread, of when I was on holiday as a wee bairn in Pitlochry. We'd visited the dam and I was amazed at the fish ladder there. There was a piper outside the visitors centre/gift shop thing and I asked my mam if everyone spoke funny like I'd been hearing. I think people round me laughed. :mad:

We then went on a boat ride across the reservoir and I stupidly left my hand in the water for ages until it turned completely blue.

They are indeed. And you fall slightly into that trap in your explanation of the Inverness accent. I think you’re generally right, though. The reason Inverness doesn’t have much of a Scots vocabulary, syntax and grammar (dialect) is its fairly recent loss of Gaelic as the common first language of the area. So what is left is people pronouncing English in the accent of an Inverness Gaelic speaker. (Inverness Gaelic not having been the same as, say, Stornaway Gaelic).

Similarly, the Perthshire Gaelic of my locality died out in the early 20th Century. Perthshire Gaelic is “Church Gaelic”, being the Gaelic spoken by the first Protestant translators of the Bible into Gaelic. But my area learned “English” during the time of agricultural “improvements” in the carse lands of Stirling, so the rural Stirling Scots rather than Standard English.
Harris and Lewis, despite being the same island have different accents and Gaelics.

Just remembered, spurred on by quimcunx's post on the bible thread, of when I was on holiday as a wee bairn in Pitlochry. We'd visited the dam and I was amazed at the fish ladder there. There was a piper outside the visitors centre/gift shop thing and I asked my mam if everyone spoke funny like I'd been hearing. I think people round me laughed. :mad:

We then went on a boat ride across the reservoir and I stupidly left my hand in the water for ages until it turned completely blue.
maybe apply for a job in the next Avatar. Avatars being completely blue

Was watching Machair, as you do

From time 22:16 haunting, had never heard of them: Capercaillie. Did briefly look for similar on Youtube but didn't find anything.
Used to know one of the band members back in the day. (He'd left a few years before I met him but was still involved in the traditional music scene.)

Back
Top Bottom