Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Orkney Islands, Scotland - chat, history, photos

Gonna Northlink

The Pentalina was only out temporarily and they were trying to give it to Calmac but Calmac wouldn't touch it. Apparently RMT published scathing reports of the standards on the boats last year. Eeek!
This is all a little disconcerting.

If I've booked a ferry from Kirkwall to Papa Westray, should I

1. Stop worrying, Orkney Ferries are OK. Papa Westray is lovely.
2. Cancel. Now. :hmm:

No need to cancel, Banks has nothing to do with Orkney ferries lol. Just avoid Pentland ferries for now. They've been cutting corners for years something needs to be done about this seriously.

Gonna Northlink

Yeah it's always been called Pentland ferries, but Banks doesn't run them any more? Edit, or he does and someone on Facebook is high ha! He's anti unionist twat anyway but orkney thinks he's amazing.

He's majority shareholder and his daughter runs it, ah that's what the change was.
Ah ok got you, didn't realise Banks was a person rather than another ferry company or something.

Ah ok got you, didn't realise Banks was a person rather than another ferry company or something.
Sorry, I've just woken up to the news so rambling. It's always horrible when you hear something like this but relieved everyone is well.

Back on topic.....

mx wcfc A photographer that calls himself Point it North has just been to Westray, and taken some amazing puffin pics
FB_IMG_1682844399933.jpgFB_IMG_1682844337214.jpg

You'll be fine.

The flight in is fucking amazing though, if your funds will stretch to it. On the day we did it, they went via North Ronaldsay so we flew over Sanday on a beautiful day and the view of the beaches was unreal.

My mate Steve told me about the first ferry accident HoratioCuthbert - if he'd not been at work I think he would've had a view of it from over the water on South Ronaldsay.

Sorry, I've just woken up to the news so rambling. It's always horrible when you hear something like this but relieved everyone is well.

Back on topic.....

mx wcfc A photographer that calls himself Point it North has just been to Westray, and taken some amazing puffin pics
View attachment 372707View attachment 372708
Papay Ranger on Twitter is worth following too mx wcfc. Nice bloke who does island tours and takes fantastic photos:

You'll be fine.

The flight in is fucking amazing though, if your funds will stretch to it. On the day we did it, they went via North Ronaldsay so we flew over Sanday on a beautiful day and the view of the beaches was unreal.

My mate Steve told me about the first ferry accident HoratioCuthbert - if he'd not been at work I think he would've had a view of it from over the water on South Ronaldsay.
I've never done the flight yet! I think there's some sort of deal now where they'll give you the flight for cheap if you're staying overnight, but last time I checked we couldn't afford accomodation at the time!

Reading isn't my strong point this morning.... there's a deal if you fly to North Ronaldsay where you get a discounted flight if you stay there overnight or longer.

Ooooh Voley I think I've worked out who "Steve" is. I don't know the guy but he takes AMAZING pictures of aurora and I'm pretty sure he was handling the transport for the keyworker bairns during lockdown? That Steve?

Ooooh Voley I think I've worked out who "Steve" is. I don't know the guy but he takes AMAZING pictures of aurora and I'm pretty sure he was handling the transport for the keyworker bairns during lockdown? That Steve?
Yep, that's him. :) Works in Education. Lovely bloke, him and his other half are old Uni mates of mine that I've known for several decades. They moved up to Orkney just before lockdown. Absolutely love the place.

Yep, that's him. :) Works in Education. Lovely bloke, him and his other half are old Uni mates of mine that I've known for several decades. They moved up to Orkney just before lockdown. Absolutely love the place.
He's on the right side of the debate when it comes to fx on aurora photos anyway. Team FX!

I hereby pledge to buy the book. (Unless it’s one of those mad expensive academic ones, in which case I pledge to order it at my local library).
Ta. I'll pop you the details when it's done. She says it'll be about a year before it's out yet. I'm hoping to sneak one or two of my photos into it. My claim to being 'a published photographer' is entirely due to getting some photos in her last one.

You've had me on Rightmove iona :D

We've had our eye on this place for a bit. Pretty much has its own beach. Unfortunately I think rising sea levels might be an issue but fucking hell what a spot:

looks utterly delightful but where are the trees? Personally i'd sacrifice trees for the birds, particularly the skuas and petrels and puffins. But trees are nice also. it might be a tough call for some.

looks utterly delightful but where are the trees? Personally i'd sacrifice trees for the birds, particularly the skuas and petrels and puffins. But trees are nice also. it might be a tough call for some.
Plenty of trees here and we planted thirty more yesterday!
IMG_20230430_201831.jpg

(This is pretty much gonna be the view from my bedroom window, only with a couple of highland cattle that are coming in a few weeks :cool: )

That looks wonderful and a wee sheltered area for those who have roots rather than wings.
Other side of the building gets the wind howling straight in off the north sea!

It might be bollocks but someone told me the Neolithic farmers here supposedly cut down loads of trees

It makes sense. Trees like to grow when given options like sunshine and rain and the absence of tree fellers or eaters.

Back
Top Bottom