Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

CalMac, the Islands, holibobs, and the Demon Midge.

Cheers all.

We've chinned it off for this summer - simply matching up flights/ferries, accommodation, and dog kennels this close to the school holidays has proved a bit much.

I think we'll do it the may half term next year - weather should be ok, midges shouldn't have gone full shit, and the various transport difficulties currently manifesting themselves should have been ironed out...

Drive to Glasgow, a couple of days airb'nb for the city centre, Kelvingrove/huntarian/west end, then fly to Barra, stay there for 4/5 days (hostel?), then back to Glasgow, and then home.

Most grateful.

Should come to London mate, we have beaches, wildlife and no midges.

Yo! Scottish Urbs!

This summer we fancy a somewhat adventurous holiday - we want to travel by boat, perhaps even land on the beach runway at Barra, go to a Ceilidh, trapse the land looking for a Waterhorse, see Red Deer silouetted against the sea, watch Sea Eagles glide, paddle in clear waters with white sand...

So, a couple of questions that I'd be grateful for help with:

Is CalMac reliability as poor as we've heard on national news? We know the trick never to book the last ferry to anywhere, but is that sufficient?

Midges. Late July/August. Are my kids going to cruy for two weeks?

Is Sunday still closed on bits of the Western Isles?

Any particular hints, tips, experiences, dire warnings?

Cheers, most grateful.
Calmac is a total train wreck. There have been multiple breakdowns of late, the Uig/Tarbert/Lochmaddy boat has been off for a week, the second breakdown in two weeks. Islay has also been affected.

Most of their boats are over end of life, but are regarded as low priority when it comes to spending money to replace them.

Forgot to report back on this!

We had a wonderful time. The ferries ran on time and were clean and did good chips. We went sea kayaking on Barra and saw seals. Went to Vatersay which was unbelievably beautiful. Swam out for ages, round a boat, white sands, quite stunning.

On Uist we walked out to a little island past fishing boats, covered in orchids, and sea birds. We were only in Harris one night but can confirm the fish and chips were good :D

Skye absolutely blew me away. I could hardly believe how beautiful it was. We walked the Quiraing, and if you haven’t done that everyone should try once in their lives.

The whole trip was great. Enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom