Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Orkney Islands, Scotland - chat, history, photos

Peat bogs are very acidic and make good habitat for carnivorous sundews etc. Some trees prefer acidic conditions also. i love sundews and grow some in an old tyre :thumbs:

Yes, do -- I'm definitely interested in hearing all about your Orkney adventures. :cool:
I'll do it when I've packed my stuff up and come back, don't think it's going to seem quite real until then!
I’ve just googled kunekune pigs and they sound amazing, love the origin of the name :)
They have a pair at another farm I've worked on and they're the best. When they're really tame they can almost seem more like dogs than pigs.

Anyone been to Westray or Sanday? We're thinking of heading back this Summer and fancied a couple of nights on islands we've not seen yet.

When we flew over Sanday last time it was spectacular - mind you, we had one of those days where Orkney decides it'll be the Caribbean, briefly.

Current plan is stay with friends on South Ronaldsay for a couple of nights, couple of nights on Westray/Sanday and maybe a side-trip to Papay if there's time. We didn't do the shortest plane journey in the world last time and I feel like I missed out.

Anyone been to Westray or Sanday? We're thinking of heading back this Summer and fancied a couple of nights on islands we've not seen yet.

When we flew over Sanday last time it was spectacular - mind you, we had one of those days where Orkney decides it'll be the Caribbean, briefly.

Current plan is stay with friends on South Ronaldsay for a couple of nights, couple of nights on Westray/Sanday and maybe a side-trip to Papay if there's time. We didn't do the shortest plane journey in the world last time and I feel like I missed out.
We only went through Westray on a minibus to get the ferry to Papa Westray. Papa Westray is certainly worth a visit, but didn't you go there last time?

We only went through Westray on a minibus to get the ferry to Papa Westray. Papa Westray is certainly worth a visit, but didn't you go there last time?
Yeah I'd gladly go back to Papay, though, it was amazing. Stayed in the YHA for three nights.

eat yer hearts out ye modern brickies!!!
I did some volunteering for a dig on Rousay this summer and the lead archaeologists were saying they'd had help at a previous site from some modern stone masons who also did dry stone walling and various things and as well as offering some really interesting insights into the building techniques used, at some points they were saying "we didn't even know it was possible to do this"

Back
Top Bottom