Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ponds are great

Loving all these frog pictures frogwoman, and the little anecdotes. 💚
Thanks, yeah I'm so happy to have moved somewhere with a pond even though it's small. I'm really excited at the thought of there being tadpoles next year especially as my sister recently had a baby, I'm hoping he can possibly appreciate them a bit maybe. I'm hoping to see a bit more of the toads and maybe even newts at some point too.

I have a small pond. I have once resident toad as far as I can see and some tadpoles. Not had a look at it over the last couple of weeks as I have been away. I have recently moved in here and it was chockablock full of rotting leaves and gunk when I took over it but managed to hoy out all the crap with a garden fork and am pleased to see some life in there. I will put netting over it this Autumn.

Oh so I went a walk down to the end of the garden and the pond has lost a serious amount of water due to lack of rain. Probably about 75%. I have chucked a couple of buckets of tap water in there just to top it up a bit. This is probably not good practice but unavoidable.

So I may let those settle and then chuck a couple more buckets in every few days before any drought measures kick in.

Mr Toad was not there. Hope he is OK.

Oh so I went a walk down to the end of the garden and the pond has lost a serious amount of water due to lack of rain. Probably about 75%. I have chucked a couple of buckets of tap water in there just to top it up a bit. This is probably not good practice but unavoidable.

So I may let those settle and then chuck a couple more buckets in every few days before any drought measures kick in.

Mr Toad was not there. Hope he is OK.

The amphibian conservation site I linked elsewhere gives some tips about doing this - best to do it using rainwater from a water butt, but if you cannot do that then next best is fill some buckets/bowls/pans with tap water and let it stand for (ideally) 24-48 hours - that might not always be possible but is better if you have a bit of advanced warning of a dry spell, or if you need to do it as a regular thing during the summer.

EDIT: Here is the link again in case the advice helps anyone What does a heatwave mean for amphibians?

Last edited:
The amphibian conservation site I linked elsewhere gives some tips about doing this - best to do it using rainwater from a water butt, but if you cannot do that then next best is fill some buckets/bowls/pans with tap water and let it stand for (ideally) 24-48 hours - that might not always be possible but is better if you have a bit of advanced warning of a dry spell, or if you need to do it as a regular thing during the summer.

EDIT: Here is the link again in case the advice helps anyone What does a heatwave mean for amphibians?

Thank you. I do not have a water butt but I have a couple of buckets I can leave out for a couple of days so I will take that route in future. Looks like we may be in it for the long haul!

Aye letting it sit just lets any chlorine or other additives dissipate a bit - which they will do over time (this also works if tap water that you want to drink smells a bit chloriney) - which allows normal plant/bacterial growth for good pond habitat to take place.

It also allows the water to get to around the same ambient temperature as the pond water, which minimises the likelihood of a sudden change in temperature shocking any pond inhabitants (by which I mean potentially harmful physical shock, not oh ah that's a bit of a surprise!).

I initially went looking for info about amphibians as frogwoman was worried about her lovely frogs (that info will apply to other amphibians such as newts), but I dug out some info about fish in ponds too, as low oxygen levels in the water on a hot day can be more dangerous to them:

Aye letting it sit just lets any chlorine or other additives dissipate a bit - which they will do over time (this also works if tap water that you want to drink smells a bit chloriney) - which allows normal plant/bacterial growth for good pond habitat to take place.

It also allows the water to get to around the same ambient temperature as the pond water, which minimises the likelihood of a sudden change in temperature shocking any pond inhabitants (by which I mean potentially harmful physical shock, not oh ah that's a bit of a surprise!).

I initially went looking for info about amphibians as frogwoman was worried about her lovely frogs (that info will apply to other amphibians such as newts), but I dug out some info about fish in ponds too, as low oxygen levels in the water on a hot day can be more dangerous to them:

Thanks for that link - it's really useful as we have fish in the pond. Didn't know about feeding them less in very hot weather.

Does anyone have a starter for 10 on building a pond? I have a spare bit of garden, maybe 4 x 2.5m and I don't really know where to start. I want a waterfall, lots of plants, somewhere to sit with my feet in water, and a machine gun nest to deal with the local heron. Beyond that...help!

Maybe dig a hole in the ground or get some mates to help you? Then get a tarpaulin or some black liner and put it around the edge. The pond was there when I moved in so can't help with the waterfall stuff, sounds great tho. One thing I'd say though is there should be an area where the water is fairly still (maybe at the other end to the waterfall?) For frogs etc. There's lots of advice on the Wildlife Ponds UK Facebook group. Sounds great though. 👍
Does anyone have a starter for 10 on building a pond? I have a spare bit of garden, maybe 4 x 2.5m and I don't really know where to start. I want a waterfall, lots of plants, somewhere to sit with my feet in water, and a machine gun nest to deal with the local heron. Beyond that...help!

Wonder how many people would listen to a fake politics podcast about the frogs. 'She's eaten a bee! How will her campaign ever recover?'

Back
Top Bottom