Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ponds are great

Not sure if I'd claim this is a pond, but it's a new water feature. Half a whisky barrel sunk into the soil with a pond liner, stones, water and marginal plants. It's only been there for about 4 weeks, and the local blackbirds keep battering the plants, but there's already a lot going on.
Just done the same myself with a half barrel I was given. Looking at yours, I'm not sure who has got it right, you or me. I've placed my baskets just below the water level, yours are slightly above.

Just done the same myself with a half barrel I was given. Looking at yours, I'm not sure who has got it right, you or me. I've placed my baskets just below the water level, yours are slightly above.
I can't answer that. The bloke in the aquatic plant centre said to put them like that. They're growing, but not amazingly well. The issue is that the local gang of blackbirds comes round every couple of weeks, have a knees-up, and trash the plants. They're vandals.

ETA, following on from this little project, I've now decided that next spring I'll be digging up a chunk of the garden to have a much bigger pond. Only snag is that it means I have to convert the path that leads to my veg garden into a bridge, so will require some head-scratching.

Anyone who's watched Franz's accurate delivery and lightning fast reflexes in grabbing ants off the reeds knows he'll bring the same accuracy to a new Brexit deal.

Decided I'll probably leave the frogs in the next heatwave (I may rethink that if the temp gets to 45-50 ever). Apparently common frogs don't do well in captivity due to their dietary requirements and getting incredibly stressed, trying to jump out etc.

Back
Top Bottom