Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ponds are great

if you have a frog in your garden pond arent they a bit stuck there? as in they cant really travel beyond your garden much? seem out of place in a town/city

if you have a frog in your garden pond arent they a bit stuck there? as in they cant really travel beyond your garden much? seem out of place in a town/city

No, they need ponds and lakes to breed in, and spend a lot of their time in grass rather than in the water. They can hop around and may visit several bodies of water within an area.

Small garden ponds form an important (if not entirely natural) habitat for the modern frog, giving them somewhere safe to breed and lay eggs.

Not all frogs hibernate. Here is how Ontario frogs survive our winters-

A few other frogs deal with cold temperatures a bit differently – they have found a way to become the cold! Our Wood Frog and the three species of tree frog found in Ontario (Gray Treefrog, Spring Peeper and Chorus Frog) are actually freeze-tolerant.

Before we get visions of frog-sicles, know this: these frogs freeze differently than, let’s say, a hotdog. These tree frogs and wood frogs hibernate in leaf litter or under bark – somewhere that is not really insulated from freezing temperatures.

Once temperatures are as low as -5°C, tiny ice crystals form in the body, freezing roughly 40% of the body’s water content.

In this condition, the frog no longer breathes, no blood flows and there is no heart beat – it may as well be dead. Once spring arrives, the frog thaws — sometimes in as little as a day — and may hop away.

Not all frogs hibernate. Here is how Ontario frogs survive our winters-

That's so cool!

That's the first time I've seen a frog in the new pond on the other side ^ It's a big male, I think I've mistaken him for Bathsheba a few times. His thumbs have swollen up to grip the females with because they think it's mating season because of the weird weather :(

That's the first time I've seen a frog in the new pond on the other side ^ It's a big male, I think I've mistaken him for Bathsheba a few times. His thumbs have swollen up to grip the females with because they think it's mating season because of the weird weather :(
Obvs not good about climate change confusion but this is a cool fact I didn't know before :cool:

I seem to have loads of toads in my pond at the moment, even though the general opinion seems to be that toads don't spend much time in water. (And, yes, they can get in and out easily - via a "ramp" and overhanging Creeping Jenny.)

Reactions: tim
Me pond looks to shut down for the winter. Fish are just sitting scowling at me. Need to pull some of the dead leaves out.

Also, don’t stick any ghost carp fry in there. Mine are about a foot long 2 years on . I will have to decant them to somewhere else when I can catch them

Back
Top Bottom