Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

I voted Labour throughout the Corbyn years but it would take a miracle to get me to vote for Sur Kieth, the smooth cunt.
I too am a traditional die-hard Labour voter (2015-19) who has found it sadly impossible to maintain this support since the party was hijacked by these extremists.
I intend to tweet endlessly about being politically homeless and undermine everything the party does until they dip below 25% in the polls 😎

Locals are coming up, and they still have a following there. I know the poll is for Westminster, but the locals will be on some people's minds.
Yup, more forests will be currently being depleted as the yellow-Tories bombard households in their target council wards with “it’s a two horse race” and dodgy-bar-chart-bullshit flyers. Plus the thinnest veneer of sex/race pol focused social liberals may have been sheered away Lib Demwards by the recent Labour dogwhistling on GRT community, Law’n’ order and flagshagging. All this probably worthy a few percentage points for Yellow-Tories.

I’ve seen a few ‘winning here’ diamonds about in the last couple of weeks, mostly in places they don’t have an earthly of taking.

It's a good day for the media to focus on fucking curtains , and ignore other news such as the cladding shambles (no compo from the Tories for a high number) and fishing (no Norway fishing deal) . Long term, both could eat into the Tory vote.

I'd be interested to know how much of that is due to former Labour supporters simply saying they wouldn't vote rather than a straight move from Lab > Tory
I'd also caution against reading too much into demographic crossbreaks in single polls. The overall sample may be fine but as we get into particular age groups or other splits, the sample often gets less reliable as it shrinks. So yeah, trends, not single polls

I'd also caution against reading too much into demographic crossbreaks in single polls. The overall sample may be fine but as we get into particular age groups or other splits, the sample often gets less reliable as it shrinks. So yeah, trends, not single polls
There's also a more fundamental point of failure with opinion polling, which is harder to get your arms around. A point of failure that is at the heart of all the difficulties that polling companies have with meaningfully predicting outcomes. It comes down to this: what actually is a poll? Because what it is not is a measurement of an objective metric. People are not reporting a fact. They are responding to an interaction, describing their subjective sense ("I feel") of how they as a distinct object (the "me") might behave under an ambiguous, unstated, contestable context. The answer can't be a meaningful statement of fact, it has to be constructed in the moment. There is a line of thought that claims the construction of the answer derives at least in part from the nature of the interaction itself, including the context within that interaction takes place. That’s why you get different answers depending on who does the asking and what order the questions are asked in. People are adopting an identity in the moment that reflects a message they believe to be necessary. This might be radically different to what they would do once in a ballot box. This problem is bad enough during a wider social discourse dominated by an imminent election. With no such discourse to frame the polling interaction, I can't see that it is possible to read across from polling to actual voting.

Last edited:
One of the polling companies quoted in today's Guardian as showing the Tories with a marginally reduced lead is called 'Focaldata'. Did they really think about that name? If I was selling data I would want people to think I had at least some data.
I've spent too much time recently thinking about Foucault and for at least two minutes I was convinced you were making a subtle and clever pun that I couldn't quite figure out about the subjectifying processes of normalising judgements used by those with power.

And then I saw it.

View attachment 268122

On the way to 20 points behind.
Labour got 32% in 2019 and, from memory, 28% in 1983. That was the lowest they've got in the postwar era and, I've always assumed, just about the lowest Labour could go. That assumption was a vague feeling that the class/party link would still hold fast for a core group of voters. It's hard to know if there is a natural baseline figure for Labour anymore. We're not at pasokification yet, in part because of FPTP. But even if they remain as the second biggest party, which they will, there's a point where they become irrelevant and not a serious competitor for power.

That Survation poll that MrSki posted (Labour one point behind Tories) and that YouGov poll that brogdale posted (Labour fifteen points behind Tories) both look wrong to me -- former too close, latter too extreme.

I've noticed that the polls are diverging. I've no idea why. But bare in mind that it could be that Yougov are getting it right and everybody is else is getting it wrong. Same could be true of Survation. Do wish people wouldn't just keep posting Yougov without noting this divergence though, it's feeding U75's confirmation biases.

I've noticed that the polls are diverging. I've no idea why. But bare in mind that it could be that Yougov are getting it right and everybody is else is getting it wrong. Same could be true of Survation. Do wish people wouldn't just keep posting Yougov without noting this divergence though, it's feeding U75's confirmation biases.
Looking at the poll-of-poll trackers should help to avoid any individual polling skew.

1621346388247.png

It isn't really that simple - Yougov are showing a consistent large tory lead, but plenty of others are recording large tory leads too, although perhaps less consistently. Survation have recently been recording 6-10% leads. Redfield and Wilton Strategies have recorded an 11% lead and a 2% lead this month alone...

There's an interesting piece here (linked to in a NS piece I was just reading) with some YouGov analysis about why the tory sleaze stories of the last month or so haven't made any headway into their polling.

Amongst those who self-report paying a high level of attention to politics, our poll just two days before the local elections showed a five-point lead for Labour (38% to 33%). This was in stark contrast to the rest of our sample, which showed a 15-point lead for the Conservatives (46% to 31%), averaging out at an overall Conservative 10-point lead.

Looking at the trend over the last month, we also see two completely different stories depending on whether people are engaged in politics or not. There has been a dramatic shift amongst those with a self-reported political attention of 8/10 or higher, with the Conservatives collapsing from a 17-point lead on 13 April to a five-point Labour lead in early May. Amongst those with a political attention of 7/10 or lower, voting intention is virtually unchanged over this time.

YouGov started weighting by political attention after the 2015 general election, when we identified that our samples previously contained too many people highly engaged in politics. Without this adjustment, it is likely our polls leading up to the elections last Thursday would have presented a very different picture of where the country was, rather than our 10-point leads that correlated very closely with the local election results across England.

Back
Top Bottom