Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Podcasts

Bloomsbury Academic Podcast is... not a particularly exciting name for a podcast, but it looks like there's some worthwhile stuff there? For a moment I thought it was a companion podcast to the 33/3 series, but I don't think they seem to be covering all the books, only a small selection, but they have done The Raincoats and Live Through This, which are also the only two good albums that have ever been recorded, probably. Also a variety of other topics which sound interesting - Simone de Beauvoir, sex and suits, prisons, Octavia Butler, that sort of thing.

1639571368359.png

This is a very bingeworthy podcast about catfishing and coercive control:

View attachment 300906

Great recommendation this. Blasted it in one go today.

Had never heard of it till seeing your post lastnight so nice one.

Enjoying this series by Dan Jones at the moment through the BBC

marty21 i listen to ‘we didn’t start the fire’ too. Great concept for a podcast. I especially like the one on Budapest.

I like Dan Snows ‘History Hit’ especially the last few that have been about finding Shackleton’s Endurance shipwreck & listened to one about Jon Von Neumann who I knew nothing about.

marty21 i listen to ‘we didn’t start the fire’ too. Great concept for a podcast. I especially like the one on Budapest.

I like Dan Snows ‘History Hit’ especially the last few that have been about finding Shackleton’s Endurance shipwreck & listened to one about Jon Von Neumann who I knew nothing about.
Yep , very enjoyable!

Quite fancy the Shackleton one , just finished a biography of him.

View attachment 300906

That was really good. We all think it couldn't happen to us, but the depth and complexity of the deception is staggering.

I've also finished the Fault Line series about the lead up to the second Iraq war. It's got a high powered team. Presented by David Dimbleby and Tony Blair as one of the interviewees. It's clear that Blair knows he fucked up but can't admit the extent of it.

I found the interviews with the lesser known figures more revealing as they filled in the bits that weren't so well known.

And every episode raised a smile as Dimbleby awkwardly drops the g in the name of the production company Somethin' Else

I'm now listening to Alistair Campbell and Rory Stewart of a Friday evening :eek: I believe it's already the most listened-to podcast in the country.

I'm now listening to Alistair Campbell and Rory Stewart of a Friday evening :eek: I believe it's already the most listened-to podcast in the country.

From next week they're doing a secondary Q&A show. Never thought I'd want more Alistair Campbell in my life 😧 Rory Stewart comes across as more of a tory shit by the week.

Just learned from this that Mark Steel has throat cancer, although the prognosis apparently looks good:

In other news, the long-defunct UK union podcast Labour Days has started up again:

I've become strangely addicted to this too. I guess it's not hard to offer a more balanced and less irritating level of political conversation than you get elsewhere online nowadays.

I've become strangely addicted to this too. I guess it's not hard to offer a more balanced and less irritating level of political conversation than you get elsewhere online nowadays.

I increasingly hate it, but I still listen. Campbell is being invited to this and that and thinks he's back as the LP big cheese even though he's not even a member (AFAIK), and RS is the great white saviour who flies from country to country between episodes whilst complaining about climate change. Today's discussion on the pros/benefits of the Chinese economy was interesting at least.

I increasingly hate it, but I still listen. Campbell is being invited to this and that and thinks he's back as the LP big cheese even though he's not even a member (AFAIK), and RS is the great white saviour who flies from country to country between episodes whilst complaining about climate change. Today's discussion on the pros/benefits of the Chinese economy was interesting at least.
I think Campbell is still very involved.

Back
Top Bottom