Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Podcast recommendations 2022-23

I listen to the same podcasts over and over again because/can't sleep.

Some of the episodes I enjoy (repeatedly) are...

A Call from Joybubbles

The Medium Is the Message

Archive on 4 Please Leave a Message after the Tone

Metal at 40

Bladerunner at 40
ep1: The Essay - Blade Runner at 40 - Los Angeles 2019 - BBC Sounds
ep2: The Essay - Blade Runner at 40 - The Year of Blade Runner 2: Sounds of the Future Past - BBC Sounds
ep3: The Essay - Blade Runner at 40 - The Year of Blade Runner 3: More Human Than Human - Ken Hollings - BBC Sounds
ep4: The Essay - Blade Runner at 40 - Zhora and the Snake - Dr Beth Singler - BBC Sounds
ep5: The Essay - Blade Runner at 40 - Fiery the Angels Fell - David Thomson - BBC Sounds

Simon Armitage explores the creative possibilities opened up by Oblique Strategies cards

Just listened to Over My Dead Body Series 1, which is called Tally, and is about an acrimonious divorce and a subsequent murder. Ongoing case though some aspects have been tied up by now.
I fancied a 'true crime' drama and this one turned out to be a good story, nicely put together. Crazy how some rich and successful people really do see some themselves as above the law.

Just listened to Over My Dead Body Series 1, which is called Tally, and is about an acrimonious divorce and a subsequent murder. Ongoing case though some aspects have been tied up by now.
I fancied a 'true crime' drama and this one turned out to be a good story, nicely put together. Crazy how some rich and successful people really do see some themselves as above the law.

Is that the one about the Tallahassee lawyer?

I like an anarchist survivalist podcast called Live like the world is dying.

Dish with Angela Hartnett and Nick Grimshaw is also good as is Comfort Eating with Grace Dent.

A literary podcast called The Otherppl Show.

Off Menu. Comedy/ food interviews.

Reactions: MBV
Miss Me? With Miquita Oliver and Lily Allen is pretty good. I was half expecting to hate it but I really enjoyed it.

Series 4 of Serial is out and about Guantanamo Bay. Not one of the better series so far, like we already know the most shocking details of Gitmo. Some interesting stuff about translators, interrogation, hunger strikes... but it doesn't hit hard like season 3 did.

Just started listening to the Al Murray / James Holland podcast - I am a bit of a war nerd tbf - really enjoying it - only 12 episodes in - there are 500+ didn't realise they started this in 2019, it'll probably go on longer than the war 😀
Still enjoying this , only 3 years behind now , up to episode 350-ish. They also do some Audio books (WW2 ones) . You can get them all if you do the patreon route , but they do eventually release them to the non-patreon folk.

Veilofreality.com cosmicmatrixpodcast. I subscribed in 2021, and don't regret it.
It's keeping me sane in these mad times, not getting myself affiliated with any groups or "'Isms"
Anything with Tom Montalk in, he doesn't interview people, but he is on loads, his site is montalk.net, he has helped me loads.

Veilofreality.com cosmicmatrixpodcast. I subscribed in 2021, and don't regret it.
It's keeping me sane in these mad times, not getting myself affiliated with any groups or "'Isms"
Anything with Tom Montalk in, he doesn't interview people, but he is on loads, his site is montalk.net, he has helped me loads.
:eek:

His site looks like David Icke nonsense

What we call “aliens” are hyperdimensional beings. They hide behind the veil of our perceptions and can project themselves into our visible reality at will. They are not recent visitors to earth, but have been here for hundreds of thousands of years and continue to live here, mostly in underground bases. Some “aliens” helped genetically engineer the human race, while other factions later crippled human genetics in order to turn mankind into little more than a source of physical and etheric food.
Today, those interacting with humanity via abductions have a negative orientation and intend to create a race of human-alien hybrids capable of ruling over humanity while having total allegiance to the interdimensional alien empire. Literature tends to identify these negative “aliens” as the reptilians, grays, mantids, and some hostile nordic factions.
There exist positively oriented beings as well, notably the more positive nordics, but they respect the law of freewill and do not engage in physical abductions. Rather they exist as a spiritual brotherhood lending their service to protect and guide those of us who seek freedom from the limitations of this 3D matrix control system, prison/school earth.

I'm fairly basic.

I quite like THE ADAM BUXTON PODCAST and RHLSTP with Richard Herring, but tend to listen in cycles, as very quickly the shtick of both can grate. Herring in particular is a terrible interviewer, which isn't the end of the world, it's just tedious hearing him guestsplain and whatIloveaboutthatis his way through whole episodes.

The Taskmaster Podcast is usually good fun, though Ed Gamble is a bit Herringish in his interrogation style. I think I prefer the combination of Gamble and Acaster on Off Menu, there's more of a balance.

The Rest Is History's Dominic Sandbrook and Tom Holland are another double act that I think work better as the sum of their two parts, the latter's effete Centrist Daddism taking the unpleasant edges off the former's muscular Tory Boy worst excesses. They are very posh and innately conservative, but they serve up very listenable slabs of history.

Similarly, We Have Ways Of Making You Talk is also pumped full of boys' boarding school vibes, but Al Murray and James Holland bring a high energy enthusiasm to proceedings, and are rarely dull.

I know Mike Duncan's Revolutions has its detractors, but whatever the quality of the historical analysis, I found each series engaging and illuminating.

In a similar vein is Dirk Hoffmann-Becking's History Of The Germans (currently up to episode 159 and still only at 1349), which is working through a whole lot of stuff I am completely ignorant of.

For pop cultural ephemera Tim Worthington's Looks Unfamiliar is like a super lo-fi, underground version of those turn-of-the-millennium nostalgia clip shows, but a lot better. He also ropes in impressively niche guest contributors like Jack Kibble-White, Anna Cale and Paul Putner.

Fighting On Film with Robbie McGuire and Matthew Moss is as intersectional a podcast as is possible, if by that you mean it brings together interests in both military history and war films.

Comics-wise, I have to plug The 2000AD Thrill-Cast - it's in-house shilling from Tharg's publicity droid Molch-R, but it frequently features great guests and is rarely less than interesting.

Then there's Eamonn Clarke's Mega City Book Club, where guests share their love for a particular (2000AD or 2000AD-adjacent) comic, strip, collection or graphic novel via a Desert Island Discs-type format.

If you want a good prog-slog podcast, then look no further that Space Spinner 2000, where Americans Fox and Conrad wade through The Galaxy's Greatest Comic from its first issue up until the last, if that ever happens. So far they're racked up 300 main episodes, plus nearly 50 on the Judge Dredd Megazine, with sundry other specials and side projects... They are nothing if not committed, and it's basically just two guys talking about a comic, issue by issue.

I can categorically state that The le Carré Cast is hands-down the best one around on the books, adaptations, characters and worlds of John le Carré; thoughtful, in-depth, critical, with some solid guests sharing their opinions. Its American podcaster Jeff Quest is also responsible for the similarly-pitched Barbican Station, which focuses on the work of Slough House author Mick Herron.

Last edited:
I listen to LOADS of podcasts. Here are some of my enduring faves.

Topical political comedy (USA) Lovett or Leave It | Crooked Media
Silicon Valley and tech industry news Hard Fork
Personal cultural chat from comedian James Barr A Gay and A NonGay Podcast | The UK's Number 1 LGBT Podcast | Edinburgh Fringe
Gresham College public lectures Gresham College Lectures
Deeper dive journalism The Slow Newscast - Tortoise
Another thumbs up for the gresham stuff. I found it looking for talks/docus on the hanseatic league.

I know Mike Duncan's Revolutions has its detractors, but whatever the quality of the historical analysis, I found each series engaging and illuminating.
I have an enormous soft spot for Mike Duncan. His History of Rome podcasts is one of the greats, and the Revolutions podcast is a great introduction to a lot of revolutions I'd not really looked into before. The season on Haiti in particular is excellent.

Like nottsgirl I really like Live Like the World is Dying. Anarchist preppers who are a bit of an antidote to the weird rightwing/isolationist side of prepping. They like to focus on community building and useful skills and lo-fi tech which is nice.

I've enjoyed the Blindboy podcast and will often listen to him when falling asleep. Especially like his hot takes and deep dives into Irish lore & mythology.

Have listened to a lot of Behind the Bastards - a very light hearted look into lots of very bleak individuals from history. They have a lot of good older episodes (I particularly enjoy the one about Sadam Hussein's 'Erotic Fiction') but you need to take a lot of it with a pinch of salt. Some of the newer episodes are about people I've not heard of and I've fallen off it a bit.

Enjoyed the Football Ramble over the Euros but I find that weekly football podcasts can be a bit meh. Think one of them lives round the corner from me...

Have been revisiting the Reply All episodes. Loved the Yes Yes No segments of the podcast about explaining niche tweets. Reminds me of the small amount of times I enjoyed using Twitter & all the funny inside jokes/memes.

Have ben using Spotify for all this which is a nonsense. It's so unwieldy. This has been a good reminder to d/l a decent podcast app again.

Back
Top Bottom