Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Podcast recommendations 2022-23

the history of the xx century ''« The History of the Twentieth Century

the madman is going for 1000 episodes «« we are on the rise of the fash in the 30s and its ep314

hourish long

very much in the style of m.duncans Roman and Revolutions.

contemporaneous quoting and that.

not much political slant, just an ordinary centre democrat.

It reminds me of the short 20th century world wars cold war, but its got wider scope, culture, sociology, technology, the ebbs and flows of the life of yer man on the craptown bus ect ect

Dirty John. About a serial bully and scammer who manipulated, threatened and abused women to get their money.

There's a netflix show about this too

Please tell all your friends about Darren McGarvey's upcoming podcast Common People(I mean, if you want, I'm unusually anxious for this guy to succeed because he's doing and saying things that you don't seem to come across often enough in Scotland) There's more to the working class experience than grim tales of addiction and extreme poverty, Darren wants to "postively disrupt" how the media presents class. Short introduction to his upcoming podcast in the link. Cheers. danny la rouge I know you're a fan :)
(I've no idea how to embed this)

Just listened to The Coldest Case in Larramie from the Serial crew. I listened until the end but ultimately the story hasn't got that much going on unfortunately. Well put together podcast that makes a lot out of nothing.

Enjoying The Rest is History podcast. Good to dip in and out and feel like you can learn something in every episode.
I'm loving this podcast. Great to play on long journeys in the car. The one on the abolitionist, Benjamin Ney, was excellent although horrifically graphic in some places but also love the way they linked him to present day activists.

Peter off 5-4 and Michael Hobbs (Maintenance phase, late of 'you're wrong about') have a new podcast out called 'if books could kill' about airport pop science stuff and how shit it is. Listened to ones on Freakonomics and Gladwell's outliers so far. Enjoyable.

I came to say this so I'll just amplify it instead. There's also an episode within Maintenace Phase that is in style more akin to If Books Could Kill - they take apart Matthew Walker's "Why We Sleep", it's great. Maintenance Phase, in general, turned me from 'I only worry about their health' to an actual champion of fat folks. I approached it with scepticism but then ate a whole lotta humble pie.

Other podcasts I've enjoyed:
  • Popular Front - on modern warfare, episodes vary in quality but it goes interesting places.
  • The Wandering Wolf - Yoni Wolf's from Why? podcast where he talks to people he knows - some interesting alt-rap stuff - my only gripe is the advertising at the beginning/end. Bit rambling for straight listening, good background for ironing.
  • Feeling Good - I don't like David Burns as a person but he's a fantastic therapist and I got a lot from this podcast, great for anxiety/depression/phobia & the effective communication stuff is pure gold.
  • Oh No! Ross and Carrie - Two people try all sorts of pseudoscience on themselves. The episode where they join the mormons is very interesting. A bit lightweight and lots of high-pitched screaming, I like listening to this when I'm ill.

Dirty John. About a serial bully and scammer who manipulated, threatened and abused women to get their money.

There's a netflix show about this too

Erg, just listened to all of but the last of the episodes. The response of the criminal justice system to that psychopathic piece of shit was enraging. The only way to deal with abusers like that is to cage them for life or eliminate them. That insane Christian grandma too, a complete pro-abuser fuckwit.

Erg, just listened to all of but the last of the episodes. The response of the criminal justice system to that psychopathic piece of shit was enraging. The only way to deal with abusers like that is to cage them for life or eliminate them. That insane Christian grandma too, a complete pro-abuser fuckwit.

But, but, he went to church

Canadaland. it's about canadian media mostly. They had an excellent short series on Thunder bay. Thunder Bay Generally good at showing that Canada isn't some utopian version of the US and treats first nation people just as shit.

The lady vanishes. An Australian cold case that heats up all of a sudden in real time over a year after the podcast started.

I like the podcasts on veilofreality.com, they helped and are helping me.
I get to learn about some other interesting content creators too.

The Opportunist

In the Dark (now been bought by The New Yorker!)
I've listened to season one - great work by their investigative team on the abduction of Jacob Wetherling in 1989 and the subsequent clusterfuck that is (some) Southern US police forces and the whole debate around elected Sherriffs and how useful/effective they are

A Very British Cult. Documentary about a cult masquerading as a life coaching service (also available as a 1 hour tv documentary on iPlayer):

In the Dark (now been bought by The New Yorker!)
I've listened to season one - great work by their investigative team on the abduction of Jacob Wetherling in 1989 and the subsequent clusterfuck that is (some) Southern US police forces and the whole debate around elected Sherriffs and how useful/effective they are

Series 2 of In the Dark is good too

Please tell all your friends about Darren McGarvey's upcoming podcast Common People(I mean, if you want, I'm unusually anxious for this guy to succeed because he's doing and saying things that you don't seem to come across often enough in Scotland) There's more to the working class experience than grim tales of addiction and extreme poverty, Darren wants to "postively disrupt" how the media presents class. Short introduction to his upcoming podcast in the link. Cheers. danny la rouge I know you're a fan :)
(I've no idea how to embed this)

I will check this out. I am always rather baffled by podcasts with yet another celeb telling us their stories of triumph or woe. I mean, good/bad for you but people who don't have everything and people to hand it to them have also been there and done that and I am willing to imagine that their stories are just as interesting but probably haven't been heard on 15 other podcasts that week. Unfortunately, the not-famousers don't have anything to promote, so keep that massive disappointment in mind.

Oh and my current fave is The Drug Science Podcast hosted by Prof. David Nutt.

About YouTube influencers, and various grifters pushing their wares. Includes topics on pick-up artists, Jordan Peterson, Bitcoin-types, productivity gurus etc.

Part expose on Britains own conspiraloons who are intent on denying a host of terror attacks as 'inside-jobs'.

al murray doing a series on stalingrad. not a bad listen for war nerds

Just started listening to the Al Murray / James Holland podcast - I am a bit of a war nerd tbf - really enjoying it - only 12 episodes in - there are 500+ didn't realise they started this in 2019, it'll probably go on longer than the war 😀

Discovered this while watching the Righteous Gemstones s3.

A look at the music of the snake handling churches in Appalachia. It’s seriously good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom