Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Plant based food news 🌱

My friend got some free broccoli today. In retrospect, I should also have taken advantage of the opportunity to pick up some free broccoli, but I didn't. Not sure why really.

£1.95 in Morrisons, 5p cheaper than the cow based version.

That's rip off prices for both versions.
The Alpro one mentioned above is £1.15 for more than 500ml (a bigger pack size).
There's no way I could justify or afford nearly £2 on custard.

News item no. 1.
Interested in this Danny, is it any good? Is it like the sort of custard you get in creme brûlée or that one had for school dinners? Have to say the picture looks rather yellow.

Also are there any good vegan alternatives to eggs? I don't mean for scrambled. but sort of plant based versions that could be used for poached or baked eggs?

On the topic of custard, Birds powder is dairy free and can be made with whatever milk alternative you use. Supermarket own brands, unusually, tend to have milk powder in. No good if you want it cold, but a winter staple in this house :)

Interested in this Danny, is it any good? Is it like the sort of custard you get in creme brûlée or that one had for school dinners? Have to say the picture looks rather yellow.

Also are there any good vegan alternatives to eggs? I don't mean for scrambled. but sort of plant based versions that could be used for poached or baked eggs?
I haven’t tried the product. Like others I rate the Alpro one. But I was interested, because that type of custard is a result of a guy whose wife was allergic to eggs but liked custard. And this is it without dairy too.

———

To be honest, no. It’s best just to wave goodbye to cheese and eggs of that sort. The substitutes are no good.

On the subject of vegan cheeses, I just tried the sheese greek style and I think it's really nice. Good texture for a sald, bit crumbly and nicely sharp. (I generally quite like vegan cheese nowadays though).
Eggs, can't help though. Tofu good as scramble or in a shakshuka though. (If you like tofu).

Back
Top Bottom