Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pizza

have we had this yet

pizza_-_breakfast_1024x512_crop_center.jpg

I dare you to go post that on the FEB thread, it will give Saul some sort of breakdown :D

Could not get pizza dough and am lazy today. Was gonna get a delivery but a bit broke and have got plenty of toppings and such.

Picked up a couple of garlic pizza breads and also some decent looking Greek flatbread so will see how that pans out
Just made the garlic pizza bread. They were only 65p from Sainsbury's and delivered an excellent crispy/fluffy base :thumbs:

Spent some time on the sauce. Finely diced Shallot, couple of crushed Garlic cloves, spoon of sugar, fresh Oregano and Parsley with a little dried Basil, salt, pepper and a splash of Worcestershire Sauce. Lots of Tomato puree and a handful of diced Pomodoro Tomatoes.

Topped with Mozzarella, Pork and Venison Salami and a pinch of Parmesan.

Really chuffed with it but totally forgot to take a pic for the thread :(

If you ever need passata to make sauce for pizzas (or pasta or anything else for that matter), you can pick up tetrapaks really cheap in Lidl - they are like 32p or something stupid. I use the straightforward tinned tomatoes for a lot of things, but the passata is pretty much around the same price, when I go there I tend to pick up tinned toms for some things and tetrapaks of passata for other uses.

Hmm. The trays would be useless for the oven, as my pizza stone is concave. But I always have a problem finding enough places to put the proving bases, and assembled pizzas before cooking, so that could be quite a neat solution to that one. Assuming I can easily get the uncooked pizzas out of the trays.
Line with paper.

That's a big no from me. I would worry about quality and freshness of ingredients and cleanliness. If you are going to get a decent pizza anywhere, it's in Italy, especially in the small, independent back street pizzerias. The pizzas are cooked freshly to order, with all the quality that goes with it and cooked, freshly made, with fresh quality ingredients in a wood fired oven. Might as well go to an average junk food place as get something out of a machine.

That's a big no from me. I would worry about quality and freshness of ingredients and cleanliness. If you are going to get a decent pizza anywhere, it's in Italy, especially in the small, independent back street pizzerias. The pizzas are cooked freshly to order, with all the quality that goes with it and cooked, freshly made, with fresh quality ingredients in a wood fired oven. Might as well go to an average junk food place as get something out of a machine.
Don't knock it until you've tried it - and at least it's closer than Japan where most of these marvellous machines are located.

The dough in a true Roman pizza is fermented for 72 hours to give it it's crunch and taste as opposed to being mixed minutes beforehand. Call me a luddite if you will but it's wrong.

The dough in a true Roman pizza is fermented for 72 hours to give it it's crunch and taste as opposed to being mixed minutes beforehand. Call me a luddite if you will but it's wrong.
You're not a Luddite. There is a massive difference in flavour between a slow-fermented dough and one knocked up in no time. I know this, because I frequently forget to plan enough in advance... :hmm:

Exactly that. The "man" who makes the dough, the man who went to school to learn how to make a pizza, not the shit show of a machine.

I could understand a device like this in the aforementioned Japan, or perhaps somewhere like Seoul or Paris. But when my Italian partner saw this they thought it was a belated april fool's joke.

In Rome you can't heave a brick without hitting a stall selling freshly made pizza to varying degrees of tourist-trap expense (although I'm firmly in the neopolitan camp when it comes to pizza) but even the chain places still make and cook their pizzas fresh. Stop in any of the towns and fifty yards from your car there'll be a small queue of people leading up to a portly middle-aged man wearing a stained apron with a fag in his mouth knocking out delicious pizzas for pennies.

I dare say it's possible to find places in Italy churning out mediocre pizzas from non-fresh ingredients, but in my experience it'd be the exception. I think I'd have to work extremely hard to find ways to eat badly in Italy; they're far more fastidious about good food than even the French in my wholly biased opinion.

Back
Top Bottom