Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pizza

maybe roll the dough out on the kitchen side first? if you flour the surface sufficiently you should be able to get it fairly flat before transferring to the stone...

Or make it on a well floured flat tray and then carefully slide it onto the hot stone? :hmm:

00 flour in the dough and a little semolina sprinkled over the bottom of the base should make it crispier, too.

ETA - A tray like this, I mean....

IDShot_225x225.jpg

No, they are baked in the oven not toasted, and they have chorizo, olives and chillies on.

I call them ciabatta bread pizzas. Like french bread pizzas only with ciabatta.

I do an olive oil, garlic, and tomato paste thing with ciabatta.

So you didn't leave the dough to expand then?

No. I didn't and it worked just fine.
I did look at a few dough recipes which varied from leaving overnight to using it straight away. The actual making of the dough was always pretty much the same though.

No, they are baked in the oven not toasted, and they have chorizo, olives and chillies on.

I call them ciabatta bread pizzas. Like french bread pizzas only with ciabatta.

The bread is already baked. You can call it what you like and cook it anywhere you want but you are just toasting.

No. I didn't and it worked just fine.
I did look at a few dough recipes which varied from leaving overnight to using it straight away. The actual making of the dough was always pretty much the same though.

If you didn't leave it to rise then there was no point in adding yeast. The yeast will need a while in a warmish room to do it's stuff surely? Was the base very heavy and crispy? Next time try leaving it for an hour under a tea towel before you roll it out. You will never go back to buying a readymade pizza again :)

If you didn't leave it to rise then there was no point in adding yeast. The yeast will need a while in a warmish room to do it's stuff surely? Was the base very heavy and crispy?
Don't talk nonsense. You are talking about proving bread, this is pizza dough.

It was not heavy and crispy at all, in fact it rose in the oven, more that I would have liked actually.

Next time try leaving it for an hour under a tea towel before you roll it out. You will never go back to buying a readymade pizza again :)

I did that tonight. Didn't make a blind bit of difference. I did make two pizzas out of the same dough though because I thought it was as bit thick last time. . It's not bread, it's pizza bread. I did check a few recipes and about 70% said you didn't need to leave the dough.

i leave mine to rise a bit, but only 'cause i can't be arsed to knead. i find if you mix it up roughly then leave it to rise for half an hour, you when you get back to it it's perfect. and no need to spend ages kneading. :cool:

I care! It's an interesting question: do you bake or toast ciabatta and other pre-baked breads? To my mind it can't be called "toasting" - you can only toast something over a relatively short period of time over a high heat. I think it is still technically baking, just not the entire baking process. IMO.

i leave mine to rise a bit, but only 'cause i can't be arsed to knead. i find if you mix it up roughly then leave it to rise for half an hour, you when you get back to it it's perfect. and no need to spend ages kneading. :cool:

I did three minutes. Again going on net recipes.

Don't talk nonsense. You are talking about proving bread, this is pizza dough.

Fair enough. I've always thought of a pizza base as a kind of bread though. I've always let mine rise for a bit (now I just chuck it all in the bread machine and come back to it later). I didn't know you could make it without it rising before - but as you say it rose in the oven. I guess your longer cooking time helped with that :)

You don't have to let the dough rise at all. I do, but only for the amount of time it take me to get the toppings prepared (I make generally make three pizzas at a time: 1 each for me and the wife and a small one for the bairn).

I have had problems in the past with soggy bases - I used to prep the pizza on a baking sheet before putting it in the oven. But I've got round that by rolling out the base, placing it in the oven for 2 - 3 mins, taking it out, flipping it over and then adding my toppings before returning it to the oven.

Before I'd perfected mine, the occasional soggy base was caused by too much toppings or too much olive oil in the tomatoe sauce.

Before I'd perfected mine, the occasional soggy base was caused by too much toppings or too much olive oil in the tomatoe sauce.

I try and limit my toppings too. No more than two ingredients along the mozzarella and sauce and only a dash of olive oil.

Fair enough. I've always thought of a pizza base as a kind of bread though. I've always let mine rise for a bit (now I just chuck it all in the bread machine and come back to it later). I didn't know you could make it without it rising before - but as you say it rose in the oven. I guess your longer cooking time helped with that :)

Yeah maybe, I think the first one I did went into a cold oven and heated up too. I can't remember actually.
The two I made last night were fantastic. I prefer a thiner base.

wet mozzerella doesn't help either. think i'm going to try the stuff you get in blocks next time.

Mine seemed ok, Bit too melty maybe. I bought one big ball. What is mozzerella in blocks?

If I am sticking on stuff like mushrooms and other veg I fry it first. Any juice I then add to the ragu and heat the mixture until it has reduced and is nice and thick.

Back
Top Bottom