Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pizza

šŸ˜®

I was lucky enough to get an Ooni 3 as an early birthday present from my wife in May. They are pricey and itā€™s more than we would normally spend, but I think the overwhelming self-interest from the fact she wants me to cook her pizza all summer helped overcome that barrier! Plus we got in just before demand took off due to coronavirus lockdowns and got a good discount on the 3 because itā€™s end of line and being replaced by a newer model.

Itā€™s very, very good, but there is a learning curve and Iā€™ve had plenty of fails already. Starting to get a bit more consistent with it now.

Iā€™m running it on wood pellets and using the softwood ones designed for heating systems, rather than ooni branded hardwood pellets. Anywhere you look online youā€™ll find people telling you this is courting death and disaster, but they work fine for me!

This thing is fast... I can wheel it out the back of the garage, light it and go off to stretch my pizza dough out and then have two fully cooked pizzas done in under 30 mins from starting. When up to temp, the pizzas are only in the oven for about 75 secs and will burn if you take a moment too long.

That is a pizza box in the background of one of the pics. Sheā€™s bought me 100 flat-packed pizza boxes to start sending pizzas off to the in-laws! :hmm:
CE6E1346-E37B-4DF8-BD82-28F8D8D299AD.jpeg
98E60C17-0E18-45AE-8ED3-D64AA33CE34D.jpeg.
651846D4-6179-44CE-AAED-755D33CED889.jpeg
1C349FB8-E83E-4076-A509-DD62A62581E2.jpeg
3D207D17-3E8D-401E-B1AA-A3A4CB28E3B8.jpeg
14F822D5-E614-4C60-BEEE-92B68E3034CD.jpeg
FD10850A-2052-411B-AE09-9841A3C0F064.jpeg

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to get an Ooni 3 as an early birthday present from my wife in May. They are pricey and itā€™s more than we would normally spend, but I think the overwhelming self-interest from the fact she wants me to cook her pizza all summer helped overcome that barrier! Plus we got in just before demand took off due to coronavirus lockdowns and got a good discount on the 3 because itā€™s end of line and being replaced by a newer model.

Itā€™s very, very good, but there is a learning curve and Iā€™ve had plenty of fails already. Starting to get a bit more consistent with it now.

Iā€™m running it on wood pellets and using the softwood ones designed for heating systems, rather than ooni branded hardwood pellets. Anywhere you look online youā€™ll find people telling you this is courting death and disaster, but they work fine for me!

This thing is fast! I can wheel it out the back of the garage, light it and go off to stretch my pizza dough out and then have two fully cooked pizzas done in under 30 mins from starting. When up to temp, the pizzas are only in the oven for about 75 secs and will burn if you take a moment too long.

That is a pizza box in the background of one of the pics. Sheā€™s bought me 100 flat-packed pizza boxes to start sending pizzas off to the in-laws in! :hmm:
View attachment 219222
View attachment 219223.
View attachment 219224
View attachment 219225
View attachment 219226
View attachment 219228
View attachment 219227
Excellent review :cool:

I really one of these. Have no money or a garden but will have to find a work around for that :D

Excellent review :cool:

I really one of these. Have no money or a garden but will have to find a work around for that :D

Lack of garden is going to be a drawback, but you can get gas powered versions and Iā€™ve seen people use them indoors, although youā€™re not meant to. Something to do with carbon monoxide I think, but pah! As long as the pizza is good then a little sleep after is probably good for the digestion or something.

If you did have outdoor space and wanted to do things on a budget, some of the DIY wood fired pompei style ovens look good. You can get a Pilates exercise ball, blow it up and use as a form to mould a vermiculite/cement mix to make an insulated curved body. Add some firebricks and a flue and literally only two years of frustration after you started, and having spent double what an ooni costs, you might have something which could cook a pizza!

Iā€™m sure itā€™s not as hard as Iā€™m making out, but it was the route I was looking at before getting the ooni. Thereā€™s a Facebook group ā€œDIY wood fired pizza oven projectsā€ if youā€™re interested.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s not as hard as Iā€™m making out
You do not understand my hamfisted hopelessness in such matters :D
Thereā€™s a Facebook group ā€œDIY wood fired pizza oven projectsā€ if youā€™re interested.
Not a Facebook user sadly. No plans to be either.

Have a shared park space out the back of my flats which would suffice but something like this really needs a garden with some kitchen access. Mid term I have plans for a campervan and a longer term a move to the country (with a garden) if I ever earn money again :D Also do get use of a place down in Cornwall with a beach hut so think this could be a welcome addition :)

Would be looking for something gas powered and portable (probably this one)

You do not understand my hamfisted hopelessness in such matters :D

Not a Facebook user sadly. No plans to be either.

Have a shared park space out the back of my flats which would suffice but something like this really needs a garden with some kitchen access. Mid term I have plans for a campervan and a longer term a move to the country (with a garden) if I ever earn money again :D Also do get use of a place down in Cornwall with a beach hut so think this could be a welcome addition :)

Would be looking for something gas powered and portable (probably this one)

yeah the Koda gets good reviews and lots of people who never liked cooking with wood pellets seem to find them a massive improvement, so that would be a good choice. Set up a saved search on eBay and look to pick up an unloved second hand one during autumn/winter when pizza oven demand is low, would be my advice. In summer, especially this year with lockdown causing booming demand, the ebay prices on ooni ovens seem to go crazy high.

This looks lovely - chicken and raspberry pizza.

chicken-and-raspberry-pizza.jpg

yeah the Koda gets good reviews and lots of people who never liked cooking with wood pellets seem to find them a massive improvement, so that would be a good choice. Set up a saved search on eBay and look to pick up an unloved second hand one during autumn/winter when pizza oven demand is low, would be my advice. In summer, especially this year with lockdown causing booming demand, the ebay prices on ooni ovens seem to go crazy high.
I am going to get one. Mind is made up! Like the idea of quickly banging out a load of small pizzas for family and such.

Good advice regards eBay. I don't use it a lot but this makes sense :)

I am going to get one. Mind is made up! Like the idea of quickly banging out a load of small pizzas for family and such.

Good advice regards eBay. I don't use it a lot but this makes sense :)

The other thing you probably already know, is the auction listings which contain misspellings usually go for less because fewer people find & bid on them. So when Iā€™m on the hunt for something I always set up saved searches for misspelt items too. Hard to know how someone might misspell ā€œooni koda pizza ovenā€, but Iā€™m sure it could happen. What does ā€œooniā€ or ā€œkodaā€ autocorrect to when typed in haste on a mobile or tablet?

Back
Top Bottom