Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pizza

I have one of these which is faintly hideous but great for entertaining as an alternative to barbecues.

What it isn't really is a proper pizza oven as it mostly cooks the pizza from underneath. It's still delicious and it works well as a chiminea.

Oonis are well thought of and probably easier to run, or some people go all out and build massive brick ovens and do roasts and things in them.

Wow that's very low then again the 'kitchen' is by far the largest room we have, twice the size of any other easily. It's half kitchen, half hallway to garden, half double stacked IKEA shelving, half recumbent bike place and lounge. Pretty stacked unless you like walking single file with 4 people.

Does have space for 11 plugs tho that includes the oven shared one socket tho they are wildly misplaced and useless where they are. We do have a lot of extension leads tho. Think the sparky in the 50s when it was made had an aversion to stairs. The bedrooms have one socket, a double one if you are lucky. There is one pointlessly at the top of the stairs tho, I assume they bunged one in while retreating as they stuck one near the front door too.

Thinking about it that one room holds more total sockets than the rest of the house combined, before you add washing machine and oven circuits in. No counter space tho, or an extractor fan that a) extracts anything or b) is remotely near the oven...

If I get a pizza oven before the shed, fence, raised bed, motorbike, flooring upstairs and hedge is sorted. Well it won't be a surprise tbh.

I have one of these which is faintly hideous but great for entertaining as an alternative to barbecues.

What it isn't really is a proper pizza oven as it mostly cooks the pizza from underneath. It's still delicious and it works well as a chiminea.

Oonis are well thought of and probably easier to run, or some people go all out and build massive brick ovens and do roasts and things in them.
Interesting, SO killed our firepit by relentlessly leaving it outside uncovered til it rusted to pieces. I have a washing machine and tumbledrier I was planning to cannibalise. But, well see above list of unfinished projects.

The ooni thing looks interesting 🤔

Wow that's very low then again the 'kitchen' is by far the largest room we have, twice the size of any other easily. It's half kitchen, half hallway to garden, half double stacked IKEA shelving, half recumbent bike place and lounge. Pretty stacked unless you like walking single file with 4 people.

Does have space for 11 plugs tho that includes the oven shared one socket tho they are wildly misplaced and useless where they are. We do have a lot of extension leads tho. Think the sparky in the 50s when it was made had an aversion to stairs. The bedrooms have one socket, a double one if you are lucky. There is one pointlessly at the top of the stairs tho, I assume they bunged one in while retreating as they stuck one near the front door too.

Thinking about it that one room holds more total sockets than the rest of the house combined, before you add washing machine and oven circuits in. No counter space tho, or an extractor fan that a) extracts anything or b) is remotely near the oven...

If I get a pizza oven before the shed, fence, raised bed, motorbike, flooring upstairs and hedge is sorted. Well it won't be a surprise tbh.

I tend to think of sockets in the hall as "hoover sockets" and exist solely so you can vacuum the hallway or stairs if you have stairs :D

Oh also when my flat was built the BT phone socket was in the hall and having a power socket next to that was useful in the days of landline and answerphone.

But yeah for a flat built in the latter part of the 20th century our power sockets are in some very inconvenient places and while I get that we have more stuff to plug in now which accounts for the lack of them, having one right by the bedroom doorway instead of easier access for other parts of the room makes very little sense (we have 2 in the hallway, 2 in the sitting room, 2 in the main bedroom, 1 in the 2nd bedroom, 4 ordinary in the kitchen plus 1 on the cooker switch plate. Could do with a lot more in both kitchen and sitting room!)

I tend to think of sockets in the hall as "hoover sockets" and exist solely so you can vacuum the hallway or stairs if you have stairs :D

Oh also when my flat was built the BT phone socket was in the hall and having a power socket next to that was useful in the days of landline and answerphone.

But yeah for a flat built in the latter part of the 20th century our power sockets are in some very inconvenient places and while I get that we have more stuff to plug in now which accounts for the lack of them, having one right by the bedroom doorway instead of easier access for other parts of the room makes very little sense (we have 2 in the hallway, 2 in the sitting room, 2 in the main bedroom, 1 in the 2nd bedroom, 4 ordinary in the kitchen plus 1 on the cooker switch plate. Could do with a lot more in both kitchen and sitting room!)
Our bt socket appears it once was in the hall, just not the one with a plug? Probably pre answephone. Now as with everything else it's right by the boiler/fuse board/temp control, by the back door cos that makes sense. We got a wireless vacuum so the plug to do the stairs is pointless. Now we can forget to vacuum it from anywhere.

The actual lounge is full of parrots. Who don't use many sockets. However the dog gets grumpy if he can't come in and try to eat them/stalk my SO, hence the lounge kitchen situation.

They also had an interesting approach to the concept of a ring main. I've seen upstairs/downstairs ones. Never upstairs/half of downstairs in two different rooms, random one for hallway, lights? and a standard kitchen socket. Then one that does a single socket above the boiler, but is not the boiler.

Morrisons are doing an easter pizza if anyone is interested in trying it and reporting back

easter pizza covered in chocolate

Interesting, SO killed our firepit by relentlessly leaving it outside uncovered til it rusted to pieces. I have a washing machine and tumbledrier I was planning to cannibalise. But, well see above list of unfinished projects.

The ooni thing looks interesting 🤔
I got an Ooni for Xmas. My favourite present for years.

I'd love one, but if feels like a lot of faff for 60 seconds of cooking. How many people do you cook for?
Normally four of us. Varies sometimes. I usually do some garlic bread as well. Takes about 30 mins to warm up properly, which is enough time to make up a couple of pizzas and they're done in a couple of minutes each.

The downside is that if it's windy it doesn't work and you're sat in the cold quite a lot but they do an indoor one now and it's going to be great in the summer when you can all be outside together.

Gas is weird. You pay about 70 quid I think for the first one and then 40 after that. I've made pizza pretty much every week since Xmas and not finished the first bottle yet. That's for 5 litres.

Normally four of us. Varies sometimes. I usually do some garlic bread as well. Takes about 30 mins to warm up properly, which is enough time to make up a couple of pizzas and they're done in a couple of minutes each.

The downside is that if it's windy it doesn't work and you're sat in the cold quite a lot but they do an indoor one now and it's going to be great in the summer when you can all be outside together.

Gas is weird. You pay about 70 quid I think for the first one and then 40 after that. I've made pizza pretty much every week since Xmas and not finished the first bottle yet. That's for 5 litres.
I should get one for the sheer indulgence, really. Currently I'm using the cast iron frying pan > grill method which is great, but not quite hot enough. Only 2 of us, though, and no friends who deserve superlative pizza :D

So these frozen pizza puks...?

Gotta hand it to them, the Morrisons sourdough ones for 2 squid for 4 save me 3 days prep when the kids announce a visit.

Left in the fridge for a couple of days they rise like the lord after an Easter egg.

I've normaly found an old gas bottle of ebay to dodge the initial higher charge.

Electric ovens ? They don't look like something out of a wood burning one, at least not a hot one.
Coal fired. Lombardi's is the original pizza restaurant in America. You're just eating burnt pizza.

Back
Top Bottom