Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pizza

That's happened recently (well within the last couple of years) to a lot of cheaper end supermarket pizzas too.

I think because sugar is relatively cheap and they use it to bulk out cheap sauces generally - price of other ingredients goes up, they've increased the proportion of sugar in the recipe - at least that's my theory.
a pinch of sugar in a tomato sauce is very nice but supermarkets seem to ladle it in without any thought

That's happened recently (well within the last couple of years) to a lot of cheaper end supermarket pizzas too.

I think because sugar is relatively cheap and they use it to bulk out cheap sauces generally - price of other ingredients goes up, they've increased the proportion of sugar in the recipe - at least that's my theory.

Interesting theory. I thought various companies were being incentivised to reduce sugar content, but I’ve had a few oddly sweet pizzas so can relate.

The British are confused by sweetcorn. They add it to tuna. They put it on pizza. I'll defend it on libertarian grounds, but it is all terribly sad.
Don't be daft - it's great stuff. Got another 1kg of frozen being delivered next week - can't run out of essential things like that.

The British are confused by sweetcorn. They add it to tuna. They put it on pizza. I'll defend it on libertarian grounds, but it is all terribly sad.
I used to like putting it on top of a pitta bread with cheese and maybe onions and popping it under the grill or in the oven until the cheese melts. But I’m more or less vegan atm and there’s no cheese substitute that is worth the bother.

Back
Top Bottom