Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pink Floyd. Why?

I was tempted … I am going to be close to Winchester a few days beforehand but not on the day.

Also - Jodrell Bank mailing list says more dates up there in the new year

I listened to a bit of Dark Side redux today. I don't like Roger Waters and I don't like it. I especially dislike all the spoken word stuff, I'm really not interested in what Roger Waters has to say. However I do not think the project isn't a car crash. It still has those iconic chord progressions and in some ways it brings then out better than the original because it's more understated. I can hear the ghost of Richard Wright running through it and I'm not missing the Gilmore slide guitar. It's not terrible but it is very Roger Waters.

Last edited:
This documentary on Hipgnosis includes a bunch of stuff about the band and especially their early cover artwork - amonst other things. It was mentioned on the Netflix thread but I thought I'd flag it up here too.

As a result I have reluctantly listened to the first two albums for the first time and remain largely unconvinced, sorry. Bits of it is great, but the tweeness is a no-no.

This documentary on Hipgnosis includes a bunch of stuff about the band and especially their early cover artwork - amonst other things. It was mentioned on the Netflix thread but I thought I'd flag it up here too.

It's really good - also on Prime although you need to pay.

I was tempted … I am going to be close to Winchester a few days beforehand but not on the day.

Also - Jodrell Bank mailing list says more dates up there in the new year
Tomorrow night it is 👍
Not sure how Mrs tag will take going to Winchester nor to "see" dark side but there are a couple of treats in store. Wish we could use the train though.

Seen this hash tag - Saturday 30th December
Have you seen It?
We had half a dozen words of introduction followed by a playing of the album to a light show. Was it a slightly different mix or I heard it in a slightly different way because of the sound system.
Certainly good to hear it like that and worth £25. 👍

Have you seen It?
We had half a dozen words of introduction followed by a playing of the album to a light show. Was it a slightly different mix or I heard it in a slightly different way because of the sound system.
Certainly good to hear it like that and worth £25. 👍

A surround sound mix of DSOTM does exist, it was released on that SACD format that never caught on.

The 50th anniversary edition has a 5.1 surround sound version. I've always wondered how that might sound. There was a quadrophonic one back in the day, too.

The Amazon comments are suitably bewildering. :D

"Happily you also get a Hi Def Linear PCM 5.1 remix and a separate 24/192 LPCM Stereo remaster.
As well as the highlight of the remix sets for those who don't have the full Son et Lumiere Eno-esq setup: the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 remix, which sounds spectacular using a 6 speaker 5.1 surround system.
As well the DTS-HD MA stereo remaster."

I will try and get to one of the DSOTM planetarium performances next year - looks like they’re in Birmingham for a few dates as well

Happy birthday Nick Mason

"Nicholas Berkeley Mason CBE (born 27 January 1944) is an English drummer and a founder member of the progressive rock band Pink Floyd. He has been the only constant member since the band's formation in 1964, and is the only member to appear on every Pink Floyd album. "

Just been to the Winchester show that hash tag went to.

I rather enjoyed it and would recommend if you’re a fan. The visuals (believe they’re specific for the planetarium show which has been on around the world) would be great on an imax

I am going to see it again at Jodrell Bank next month as it happens as I am in Manchester over Easter and they happen to be doing shows on the same weekend.

Just been to the Winchester show that hash tag went to.

I rather enjoyed it and would recommend if you’re a fan. The visuals (believe they’re specific for the planetarium show which has been on around the world) would be great on an imax

I am going to see it again at Jodrell Bank next month as it happens as I am in Manchester over Easter and they happen to be doing shows on the same weekend.
Each to their own.

Went to see Nick Mason's A Saucerful of Secrets at the Albert Hall last night (having seen seeformiles hearty endorsement on the Hot Upcoming Gigs thread - so thanks for that SFM!). It was incredible. Great renditions or interpretations of some of Pink Floyd's finest earlier music including See Emily Play and One Of These Days. One of the best gigs I've seen in ages.

IMG_20240629_194450.jpg

Back
Top Bottom