Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pink Floyd. Why?

I don’t mind though, I am never getting any cool points on the music forum.
It's not for cool points, it's for the pleasure of criticism and expressing opinions about music. I'm pretty sure I'm not cool anyway. Fwiw one of my my life partner's favourite bands is Oasis and I think I may have mentioned my feelings about their music on here. I think Pink Floyd's music is boring and overrated but I don't actually hate, or even particularly think less, of anyone who's bought a Pink Floyd album.

It's not for cool points, it's for the pleasure of criticism and expressing opinions about music. I'm pretty sure I'm not cool anyway. Fwiw one of my my life partner's favourite bands is Oasis and I think I may have mentioned my feelings about their music on here. I think Pink Floyd's music is boring and overrated but I don't actually hate, or even particularly think less, of anyone who's bought a Pink Floyd album.
The cool points probably needed a ;)

I really really don't like Pink Floyd.

Turgid bloated self indulgent wank. Insufferable spoilt hide-bound self-regarding men making up-the-arse blinkered studio bound self-referential circle-jerk music.

Once Syd was gone, so was the jagged edge that opens up new veins for the life-blood to flow out. They got into an awful eddy where they didn't seem to be aware of anything outside of their own tiny tight little vortex.

It's like they exist in a world where they were the only band permitted to make music. Nothing pushing them from outside, nothing but the expectation and injunction to produce yet another LP for people who reckon they're the pinnacle of creative achievement. The money men sucking their dicks and saying "More of that! Make more of this so we can keep selling it to people who want the security of remembering how far out they felt when they first heard it!" It's like a sleight of hand trick and seeing how it's done reveals the boring bolted-together scaffolding of it.

They never seemed to develop or extend what they were doing beyond what the studio could provide.

I don't like the band. I've never liked their music. One or two tracks have piqued my interest when I first heard it, but the slightest familiarity made me crumble up inside. It just doesn't go anywhere except back to itself.

That's my opinion. It's a fact inside my head and governs certain choices I make. You can't tell me I'm wrong, any more than I can't tell a PF fan they're wrong for hearing and recieving a completely different experience.

I know loads of people love the band.

Disliking PF doesn't make me a miserable bastard. I love music, it gives me enormous joy. PF can make feel miserable sometimes though. Genuinely, to me their music feels like Sunday Sickness.

Being famous successful and talented doesn't necessarily correlate with artistic merit. That's just capitalist metrics.

Personality assassinations? Really? The discussion and debate about the public displays of character aren't assassination FFS.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't dig a lot of the bands I'm into. That's cool. I love chatting about music and discussing why I like something you don't and visa versa. Sitting up all night and taking turns to play stuff to each other and being amazed at where we agree or diverge.

Not liking your music isn't a personal attack. Although, I've seen how PF fans almost more than anyone else outside of teenage girls do feel like they're being personally insulted when the band is criticised. It's another aspect of why I dislike PF... what's with this super-association dude?

And what's this odd analogy you constructed about kids of today being slagged off for their choice of ice-cream. So... criticising PF is like unfairly having a go at the kids? Brilliant :D

It's alright Kris Silver . You can love PF and I can dislike them all day long and neither of us is harmed or even affected by each other's opinion.
The trouble with this is, all for criticism and free speech.

But it needn't be personal, and broad criticism of reactionary over the top criticisms, seems to have really triggered you, and is exposing your own lack of ability to accept criticism.

If you can spend that long finding words to express how much you hate a band, for which no one forces you to listen to. Take the time to then go personal on a weird wild attack at me. When I was mostly just being humorous.

You need help, mate. You need some therapy.

There's some humorous take downs and mocks, but there seems to be some real scorn with you chap. Like a triggered cat, that's never known love. May god bless your soul and, may you find peace.

Bit bemused that Story basically said what I said but with more words (very nice words too) and got accused of an attack where I got a like :confused:

Bit bemused that Story basically said what I said but with more words (very nice words too) and got accused of an attack where I got a like :confused:

Maybe it’s all in the delivery.

Florid, bad.
Succinct, get a like

Yet another thing for us to fight about. You’ve ruined my day!

Just by the way...
Syd Barret lived literally round the corner from my childhood home. T'was all bomb sites back then. And strange shambling people in multiple overcoats tied round the middle with string, who smelled interesting and peculiar and rocked as they walked. I was always fascinated by them and wanted to know who they were and why they were so different to all the other grown ups. My mum caught one of them nicking the milk from the doorstep one morning and left me there with her while she went indoors. The lady stared at me and I stared back. Then she turned and walked away. I knew, somehow, obscurely, that she felt embarrassed, cos my mum made me feel embarrassed too, a lot, even at that age. My mum came back with some food. She looked up and down the empty street and took me indoors.

Another day, she stopped at the Evening Standard seller outside the Tube station (I can still remember his call, which was like a cough followed by a sneeze and I had no idea it was words til I was old enough to take the Tube on my own and saw other Standard sellers and patched the sounds together and realised) and she asked him what happened to the bag lady. That's what she said : "what happened to the Bag Lady?" Her name was Mary and she'd died.

Years later, telling this memory to my dad, he told me about coming home from work in the evenings and seeing the homeless people sitting round the fires on the bomb sites. He was surprised to learn that my mum had tried to give food to Mary. She never told him about that.

I would have been no older than 4 at the most, maybe 3, because it was before my mum left. The first time she left, she ran away to be a pop star under the name Peanut Butter. I always saw her in this alternative reality as a mix between Shirley Bassey and Eartha Kit.

Perhaps she was influenced in some occult way by having Syd round the corner. In this alternative reality, I see them having enthusiastic disjointed conversations, the kind that can only happen between total strangers who recognise each other.

My dad had Santana and Lynard Skynard in his record collection. Other stuff too, (Thelonius Monk, The Beatles, Velvet Underground, Jimi, Elvis, Fats Domino, Nina Simone....) but those were the ones I couldn't get on with. Went to see Santana live and kinda got it but did t like it.

Maybe I'll start a Santana thread and we can argue in there too.

People can like anything they want. It’s fine. Except Fleetwood Mac. Yacht rock Fleetwood Mac are so obnoxious they even cause Peter Green to be tarred as shit. Even though he isn’t, he is because of them. The Chain dragged Albatross down and drowned it in a sea of preppy deck shoe clad cuntitude. And perms.

People can like anything they want. It’s fine. Except Fleetwood Mac. Yacht rock Fleetwood Mac are so obnoxious they even cause Peter Green to be tarred as shit. Even though he isn’t, he is because of them. The Chain dragged Albatross down and drowned it in a sea of preppy deck shoe clad cuntitude. And perms.
I had a colleague for the last two years who I could never make my mind up whether she was alright or not. Till she told me her favourite band was Fleetwood Mac. If she'd been otherwise lovely I would have let her get away with it but as a decider it was decisive.

I like Rumors and their White Album. You can go your own way.

I had a colleague for the last two years who I could never make my mind up whether she was alright or not. Till she told me her favourite band was Fleetwood Mac. If she'd been otherwise lovely I would have let her get away with it but as a decider it was decisive.
Then of course there's Jeremy Spencer. :(

Back
Top Bottom